Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 62%  62%  [ 8 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 13

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
thompsoncory wrote:
For me this whole franchise just feels like it's treading water until the actors from Harry Potter age enough so they can do a "Cursed Child" film. B-

God that would be awful.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:28 am
On autopilot for the summer

and you'd still give it an A+.

I don't understand the Cursed Child negativity. It won 6 Tony Awards. It has a least a fun plot that makes sense. As a film I guess it would also be the most like POA which is still my favorite. The only real problem will be casting new kids as Potter and company are more secondary.

And you could give them 20 years and Radcliffe would still only look as old as he did in that Epilogue.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:03 am
The Kramer

Cursed Child is basically fanfiction and WB will surely strike it from the canon when they get JKs blessing to do Potter 9.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:34 pm

All of Harry Potter is fan fiction. People that read the books always complain. I would easily take that over another half assed Fantastic Beasts Movie.

And how would a Potter 9 not be fan fiction. The only upside is getting the cast back for box office purposes. But still Cursed Child is pretty dam good as far as general audiences are aware, And it's 2 films, boom 2 billion dollars!

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:02 pm
Hold the door!

The Cursed Child is so much worse than either Beasts movie. The play's reviews I think are mainly good because of the actors performances and the special effects, not because of the script. I think it won't be nearly as easy to impress if the play were made into a movie.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:23 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The play is fantastic onstage and feels really cinematic, part of the reason I think it's doing so well too.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:34 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

Zwack, fuck off already lol Your hatred of anything that isn’t a musical or Disney is ridiculous. I’ve also seen Cursed Child and it’s GREAT and one of the best theatrical experiences I’ve had (I’m also pretty sure I’ve seen a hell of a lot more theatre than you have) and it will make a great couple of films.

Also, The Grinch was super cute.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:34 am
Profile YIM WWW
Hold the door!

movies35 wrote:
Zwack, fuck off already lol Your hatred of anything that isn’t a musical or Disney is ridiculous. I’ve also seen Cursed Child and it’s GREAT and one of the best theatrical experiences I’ve had (I’m also pretty sure I’ve seen a hell of a lot more theatre than you have) and it will make a great couple of films.

Also, The Grinch was super cute.

I haven’t seen the play lol just basing my opinion off the script. And what do I hate besides Illumination?

Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:48 am

zwackerm wrote:
And what do I hate besides Illumination?

Quite a bit actually. Outside of kids movies and church choir, you're pretty much a bucket of rage.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:01 am
Hold the door!

Thegun wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
And what do I hate besides Illumination?

Quite a bit actually. Outside of kids movies and church choir, you're pretty much a bucket of rage.

I think the last movie I really hated was Sing. The film from this year I liked least was A Wrinkle in Time, and I didn’t hate it.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:49 pm
Hold the door!

I think the parts of the movie that annoy me most are the timeline errors. It really just seems like absolutely no one proofread the script for inconsistency, or realized most of the major plot points were via flashback or exposition.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:51 pm
Extraordinary

FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD

First, I'm a Potterbot so I'm going to like the films 9/10 times and I liked this film as well. I like the characters, cast, the magic, the story, however, this story was a bit meh because unlike the Harry Potter series that were based on books with beginning and ends that built upon each film I don't know if this film accomplished that. It had a filler type of feel to it but again I still liked it and I like seeing all the variety of beasts. I think the problem JK has created is she put Newt in the middle of this Grindelwald business which is more about Dumbledore and Grindelwald rather than Newt as even though he's the "star" of the film he feels secondary to this Grindelwald business. Another issue I agree with is Leta Lestrange's pointless sacrifice since she didn't stop anything thus robbing her of her moment and how JK let that happen is surprising. On a positive note, I do like Deep as Grindelwald and want to see more of his power and magic. Finally, for the next film I hope they get real and explore the Dumbledore Grindelwald blood pact, more cool beasts and more magic with people actually saying the spells. I will buy this of course and rewatch it even if it is long like the first.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:25 am
The Kramer

zwackerm wrote:
I think the parts of the movie that annoy me most are the timeline errors. It really just seems like absolutely no one proofread the script for inconsistency, or realized most of the major plot points were via flashback or exposition.
This is true. Its like she saw the Hobbit movies, loved all the scenes where a LOTR character would pop in and say hi, but didn’t check Pottermore to see if it would work.

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:33 pm
Extraordinary

I thought Cursed Child was a pretty rough read but it would be huuuuge as a film with the main cast coming back. Although I wish it was more about the main trio as opposed to the Potter/Malfoy offspring zzz

Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:52 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I appreciated this as an expansion of the Harry Potter world and lore and whatnot, and there were some magical and cool moments, but Jesus do they need a new screenwriter. Or JK Rowling just needs to write these as books first since it's obviously what she wants to do.

Also I did like that Grindelwald had a much more realistic motivation than Voldemort. He still looks like a crackhead Snow Miser but in some ways he's already a more interesting villain than Voldemort.

So I guess I'll give it a B-. More sophisticated than the usual Hollywood fluff, but in dire need of a tighter screenplay.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:43 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Spoilers out the gate: Does that mean Ariana was impregnated by the muggle boys who attacked her? The problem is I still don’t care about Credence. This character drags down an otherwise solid movie just like he did with the first.

The first two thirds are pretty good though. The magic is amazing to behold and the beasts are as adorable as ever. It is fun to be back in the wizarding world as much as they try to convince us it is not. If Grindelwald wasn’t so damn evil one might think he was making sense. Is it fair that wizards have to hide among the muggles? He could have been comparable to Killmonger were it not for the child murdering and the writer’s controversial insistence on who plays him. But he is so damn evil and why the hell does Queenie join him? Gosh that last act was frustrating, but I was talking about the good things. I connected with Newt more than in the first movie, Redmayne does a really nice job making the character feel whole. We know what he wants, why he can’t get it and how he has to change in order to accomplish it. Tina and Jacob are pretty singleminded but still provide nice scenes. The Newt/Tina romance was effective, much moreso than the first.

The movie stops being good when it has to stop and explain what the hell is going on with the Credence sideplot. Nobody cares and it kills all momentum the movie built up. And they just enter this scene out of nowhere too. Weird editing. We then have to listen to Johnny Depp make a speech, see a too brief action bit and Credence is Dumbledore’s brother. Surprise!

It is too bad. I still liked the movie and will watch it again someday, but the story and technical issues near the end will be hard to get over.

Ariana's attack being a rape would certainly explain Credence. It's probably what it is. It wouldn't be the first time JK Rowling has subtly implied rape in the HP world (it's heavily implied that's what the centaurs did to Umbridge for example).

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:47 am

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I thought Cursed Child was a pretty rough read but it would be huuuuge as a film with the main cast coming back. Although I wish it was more about the main trio as opposed to the Potter/Malfoy offspring zzz

It's hard to say that for a play though. It's not a book, it's meant to be played in a different medium. It read fine enough though, and I think it would be awesome theatrically.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:03 pm
The Kramer

So does Quennie = JK? It never made any sense for her to join up with Grindelwald .. until recent events. Was this Rowling prepping us for her own turn to the dark side? Where, even though Queenie is an empath who can literally read the minds of all the shitty people she is surrounding herself with, she feels so strongly about One Issue and just can't do that in peace around all the oppressive Liberawizards? Thus she joins up with the magic-nazis, who are the only ones who accept and encourage her oddities?

I gave this a B- at the time but have not had any fond thoughts of it since. I think, just like with Rise of Skywalker, it proves I can enjoy a shitty movie in the moment if its set in a world that I enjoy being a part of. So maybe I am JK and Queenie too. Meh. :P

Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:27 pm
Hold the door!

JK’s turn to the dark side lol.

Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:36 pm
Extraordinary

Lol I wonder what's gonna happen to this franchise. The next one is doomed if it gets made. Shitty previous installment and... what's going with JK.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:10 pm

Yeah, who would have thought the whole muggle, pure blood idiocy actually had deeper meaning.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:42 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I never watched this movie after my (two) theatrical views and before this I thought the franchise could not get duller than the original FB movie.

Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:36 pm
The Kramer

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I now remember that Ariana was attacked at a very young age, pre-Hogwarts, so Credence can’t be her son. Or maybe they’ll just say “Rita was wrong” to cover her tracks. Nothing else really makes sense. Unless maybe Albus had a straight-phase after Grindelwald? Or maybe, judging by his looks and personality, he is the product of Aberforth ... and the goat.
Spoiler: show
I was kind of right :funny:

Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2