Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Widows 

Rate this film:
A 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
B 64%  64%  [ 7 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Widows 
Keeping it Light

Post Widows

Quote:
Widows is a 2018 heist film directed by Steve McQueen from a screenplay by McQueen and Gillian Flynn, based upon the 1983 ITV series of the same name. A British-American co-production, the film features an ensemble cast consisting of Viola Davis, Michelle Rodriguez, Elizabeth Debicki, Cynthia Erivo, Colin Farrell, Brian Tyree Henry, Daniel Kaluuya, Jacki Weaver, Carrie Coon, Robert Duvall, and Liam Neeson.

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:45 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Widows
I liked this a lot, although there were some elements I thought were superfluous (the babysitter character seemed out of place, and although I liked their scenes together the sideplot with Debicki and the rich dude didn't really go anywhere)

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:00 pm
Pure Phase

This is decent, but overpraised. It is the first Steve McQueen film I do not consider great.

His enormous talent as a stylist is apparent—the cinematography is chic, the editing often has a rhythmic precision, and there are a few bold visual gambits (one lengthy shot follows a car as it drives from the impoverished heart of Chicago's 18th ward to its tony, gentrified border)—but I am not convinced by the tonal shifts attempted by he and his co-writer, Gone Girl novelist Gillian Flynn.

On the surface, this is a high-concept suspense film—after they die, a group of thieves' widows complete their late husbands' next job using detailed plans left behind—but the final result is rather short on traditional heist-movie fun or tension. McQueen's approach is too grim and restrained to allow for it. (There is also a curious decision to depict every dead husband as varying degrees of unpleasant or foul, so there is no emotional weight to their plot-propelling untimely deaths.)

What Widows does have is a vast amount of social commentary: financial chicanery in municipal politics, the objectification of women, racism, etc. At its most absurd, the film finds a maudlin way to incorporate a police shooting of an unarmed African American teenager. The film's tapestry aims for epic, a searing indictment of social ills delivered via a Trojan horse of popcorn entertainment. I would argue it lands closer to busy, with its reach (and noble intentions) exceeding its grasp. The social commentary ranges from biting to heavy-handed.

The cast is terrific, though. Viola Davis is a sturdy lead in her usual, very stately and steely Viola Davis way. Elizabeth Debicki is sensational; her character's arc of empowerment may be the most satisfying element here other than McQueen's stylistic acumen. Brian Tyree Henry and Daniel Kaluuya are excellently menacing as a weary criminal running for alderman and his psychopathic brother, respectively. There is even a relatively rare appearance by 87-year-old acting legend Robert Duvall; his role is over-the-top (every line is another way of growling, "I'm an old racist clinging to power!"), but he obviously relishes the chance to devour a bit of scenery opposite Colin Farrell as his oily son. I wish Carrie Coon's role were richer, though; she has delivered several of the best television performances of the last decade, and it is time for a great film part.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:06 pm
Extraordinary

WIDOWS

I really wasn't excited about watching this but I saw this with a parent and I enjoyed it. I thought Viola, Michelle, Cynthia and Elizabeth were all great. I like Elizabeth's performance the most. Her height is just overhwelming. I enjoyed Colin Farrell as the politician though I disliked one line he was saying to his father. Something about his ideas dying with him or whatever. That was eye rollish. I liked the heist and the double surprises. It was a good film and one I might buy.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:37 am
Forum General

I liked it, but its definitely over hyped by the critics. I think the biggest issue I had with this movie is the fact that it tries to do way too much when it should have just been a straightforward heist flick. It's fine if you want to talk about race relations and politics, but it didn't feel all that necessary here and by the time it got to the middle portion I was honestly kind of losing interest in it. It also doesn't help that it feels so much longer than its 2 hour 9 minute running time either. The performances across the board are pretty great though, especially Viola Davis, Elizabeth Debecki, Colin Farrell, Robert Duvall and Brian Tyree Henry. I also enjoyed what they did with Liam Neeson's character in this, but I wish Carrie Coon was in it more to make those scenes work better.

B-

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:42 pm
now we know

A solid, mature thriller, exquisitely filmed. Tremendous cast with a great story. I actually thought Liam Neeson performed the best, with second being Elizabeth Debicki, though everyone really did well. They just don't make films like this enough, and I appreciated it being full to the brim with tangential plots and themes. It kept it grounded, and kept this viewer intensely engaged. McQueen found that sweet spot of not too much or not too little attention on "the job". I worried for a moment with the final scene that it was a set up for a sequel, but McQueen is thankfully too clever to allow it.

My only gripe is Daniel Kaluuya ... I could only understand about half of what he said.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I heard many say this was overrated so my expectations weren't very high when I saw it a couple weeks into its run. I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did. Very interesting film. The cast is very good. Found Elizabeth Debicki the most interesting. Davis gives a strong performance too but I pretty much feel she could give this performance in her sleep. I didn't find any of the performances to be award worthy but I'd have taken an Oscar nomination for Debicki over Regina King any day.

8/10 (B+)

Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:24 am
Keeping it Light

Kind of a very good film with a great cast. It's well made without glaring flaws, it's great to some extents, yet I missed any real accomplishments. It doesn't get gritty enough and the story gets glossed over, that I while I was at my edge most of the time, it wasn't necessarily as engaging as it could be. There's a surplus of characters, I found especially Debicki and Kaluuya great, but the veterans where good too, it's just that it hampered character development no matter how efficient McQueen is with the story telling. But it's a cool crime drama, enjoyed watching it develop and it ended in satisfying way as well.

B+

Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:43 am
Defeats all expectations

A well-written social drama wrapped inside a crime thriller. It highlights the greed and nepotism in politics, the corruption and gang involvement in every fabric of the impoverished Chicago area, and how four women traverse in a world ruled by men. It gives one an overall feel of the gritty situation facing society.

The gang killing of two rappers at a gymnasium and the police killing of Harry's son pulled over for an illegal U-turn are some suspenseful and violent scenes that are too painfully realistic to watch. Elizabeth Debicki, Colin Farrell, and Daniel Kaluyya give the best acting performances. If not for Harry Rawlings' "retirement" plan that sounds stupid and subsequently leads to the heist in an unconvincing way, this movie would be a strong recommend.

72/100

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:46 am
The Kramer

Its very slow, and I still don't understand why Liam Neeson needed to be killed twice, but its pretty good. Elizabeth Debicki was my favorite and Kaluyya is a terrifying villain.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]