Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Grinch 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Grinch 
Keeping it Light

Post The Grinch

Quote:
The Grinch (also known as Dr. Seuss' The Grinch) is a 2018 American 3D computer-animated Christmas film produced by Illumination Entertainment. Based on the 1957 Dr. Seuss book How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, it is the third screen adaptation of the story, following the television special from 1966 and the live-action feature-length film from 2000. It also marks Illumination's second Dr. Seuss film adaptation, following The Lorax (2012). The plot follows the Grinch as he plans to stop Christmas from being celebrated in Whoville by stealing all the town's decorations and gifts.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:22 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Grinch
It is fine. It will not replace either previous adaptation (the ingrained-in-one's-cultural-consciousness television special and the bizarre, lavish Jim Carrey version) in my mind when people say "The Grinch," but I enjoyed watching it. The animation is consistently vibrant and crowded with Christmastime detail. There are clever visual gags here and there. And Benedict Cumberbatch's nasal, American-accented vocal performance is distinct enough from Grinch actors of yore, though his version of the character registers more as neurotic than enigmatic or menacing.

Pharrell Williams' voice-over was a dreadful choice, however. I know he and Illumination made a lot of money together with "Happy" from Despicable Me 2, but as a narrator here? No. A statelier, deeper voice is needed, perhaps Idris Elba or even Cumberbatch using his own accent.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:06 pm
now we know

In all honesty, this was a bit yawn-inducing besides the creative and fun stealing of Christmas. If you're over 12 I doubt you will find much here, and it kind of feels like a waste of time if you've already seen and loved the superior Jim Carrey version. Illumination would be great at making shorts, but they keep churning out these feature-length pictures that have as much gravity as a whoopee cushion. But they're great at marketing, so they succeed. Plus the fact that this film's run time is a measly 1 hour and 26 minutes, it's no surprise they made bank.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:37 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Pretty incredible this has so little reviews on here for a $500m film.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:23 am
now we know

I was shocked that David was the only person to review it. I thought there would have been multiple negative posts by zwackerm.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, but unlike you having an open mind towards CRA, zwackerm would never let his soul be infiltrated by this.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]