Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Girl in the Spider's Web 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Girl in the Spider's Web 
Keeping it Light

Post The Girl in the Spider's Web

Quote:
The Girl in the Spider's Web is a 2018 crime thriller film directed by Fede Álvarez and written by Steven Knight, Álvarez and Jay Basu, based on the novel of the same name by David Lagercrantz, which in turn is based on charcters in the book series by Stieg Larsson. The film, a soft-reboot with different actors, is a sequel to David Fincher's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and the second installment in the American-produced Millennium film series. It stars Claire Foy, taking over the role of Lisbeth Salander from Rooney Mara, and follows Salander as she tries to rescue and exact vengeance for battered women. Sverrir Gudnason, LaKeith Stanfield, Sylvia Hoeks, and Stephen Merchant also appear in the film.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Girl in the Spider's Web
This was better than I was expecting. Nowhere near Fincher's Dragon Tattoo but it's an entertaining watch and I thought Claire Foy was good.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:38 am
now we know

Pretty formulaic. It seems to have changed from the girl that punishes men who punish women - or even the investigative journalism duo - to the girl that saves the world from a red-dressed Bond villain intent on world domination. It's ludicrous! And Claire Foy just isn't right for the role. I like Foy but Lisbeth Salander should be like Noomi Rapace. Hard but also sexy. Foy just doesn't feel right in the role. She isn't hard and she isn't sexy. She looks like a 12 year old boy. I was laughing when they expected us to believe that she could take on five guys in that toilet scene.

The film really lacks a feeling of being special like the original trilogy. It reminds me of The Snowman in how generic it came across. This is a universe that I once adored, and with this film alone I kind of think it's shit already. It's poorly made, and there is no sense that she is delving into a real dark, criminal underworld. The bad guys are pretty lame, and consistently beaten or outsmarted, and there is the sense that ball is constantly changing courts. This does not maintain excitement. It is infuriating, and ultra convenient. Take this; Lisbeth has the chance to kill the big bad woman's top henchman by shooting him in the back of the head while he's unconscious in the car, but she chooses not to. Could've saved her a great deal of harm later on.

There is one scene where Lisbeth gets the black guy out of airport security, and she opens a final door and he knocks a guard unconscious. Not only is it hilarious how everything in the movie can be answered by Lisbeth either tracking someone or using her phone to unlock a door or solve a problem, but in that scene the geography is all wrong - before he opens the door on his right is a balcony where he can jump down to the road beneath, but after he opens the door ... on his immediate right is a car park on the same level where Lisbeth is. Shoddy film-making.

Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:01 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Again maybe its because I watched this after seeing Robin Hood, but I actually thought this was pretty decent. Sure it doesn't come anywhere close to the Fincher film, but I wasn't expecting it too and it kind of worked for me as a mindless, generic action flick. Claire Foy's Lisabeth Salander is basically a superhero here, but she does a fine job in the role and at least it still kept me entertained. Lakeith was wasted though and the guy who played Blomkvist felt so useless compared to Daniel Craig, but Alvrez did a solid job with the action sequences in this even though coming from a horror background I was expecting a bit more in terms of the violence and gore which was a little disappointing.

C+

Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]