Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Bohemian Rhapsody 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Bohemian Rhapsody 
Keeping it Light

Post Bohemian Rhapsody

Quote:
Bohemian Rhapsody is a 2018 biographical film about the British rock band Queen, focusing on lead singer Freddie Mercury's life leading up to Queen's Live Aid performance at Wembley Stadium in 1985. The film is a British-American joint venture produced by 20th Century Fox, New Regency, GK Films, and Queen Films, with Fox serving as distributor. Directed by Bryan Singer, it is written by Anthony McCarten, produced by Graham King and former Queen manager Jim Beach, and stars Rami Malek as Mercury, with Lucy Boynton, Gwilym Lee, Ben Hardy, Joseph Mazzello, Aidan Gillen, Tom Hollander, Allen Leech and Mike Myers in supporting roles. Queen members Brian May and Roger Taylor served as creative consultants of the film.

Principal photography began in London in September 2017 with Singer as director. In December 2017, Singer was fired for absence and clashing with the cast and crew; Dexter Fletcher was hired to complete the film, although Singer retained sole director credit as per DGA guidelines. Filming concluded in January 2018.

Bohemian Rhapsody was released in the United Kingdom on 24 October 2018 and is scheduled to be in the United States on 2 November 2018.

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:53 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Bohemian Rhapsody
... it's fine. Kinda feels lifeless at times despite Rami being quite good.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:02 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Rami's great but I thought the movie was a cheesy mess. The concert sequence was very well-done though.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:35 am
Profile YIM
On autopilot for the summer

I really liked it (I mean it is my favorite band and I'm glad Rami didn't sing himself) It's probably the best performance since Douglas as Liberace and theatrically since Jamie Foxx in Ray for musical biopics. Cooper and Malek are the clear favorites for at least GG, and maybe an Oscar. Had no idea Bryan Singer directed this.

A-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:12 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Also loved that Mike Myers was in this. Lest we forget the scene in Wayne's World is the reason the song hit #1 again.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:14 pm
Wallflower

I totally understand the criticisms. It doesn't go very deep for a biopic. But damn if it isn't a very fun movie. Malek is great, and it's a treat seeing Sing Street's Lucy Boynton in the film. She's really lovely. The finale is great.

8/10 (A-)

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:19 am
now we know

I was not impressed with this in the slightest. It's a bog standard biopic, but one that coasts over a ton of stuff, and one that paints Freddie Mercury as an arrogant prick. Rami Malek plays Mercury as a sort of caricature of the dead homosexual, with added buck teeth! The songs were not even introduced in an entertaining way. I'd rather just put on the CD. It's so lame that this made so much money and is nominated for so many awards. So undeserving.

Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Based on the film making alone it's not a fantastic film by any means, it feels all rather a standard biopic averagely made. However it's just impossible for me to escape from the music, which is fantastic and sucked me in the story, going from Queen's very early beginnings to an extensive recreation of their Live Aid performance. Malik is good as Mercury too, but I liked Myers role as the studio boss the most. I love Queen, and for that part I enjoyed this film quite a lot too, but as a filmmaking exercise it's on the disappointing side. A lot of the comments from the other posters I agree with to certain extents. I like the film, but it does come with its fair share of flaws, other musicals and biopics did it better before. While listening to just a cd would be more enjoyable, it's worth seeing or rewatching this for the score alone too.

B+

Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:25 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

B+
Rami Malek was excellent, love me some Queen.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 am
Profile WWW
Child Actor

A

I quite like it... soft... good music (lol).... even when it was a bit slow I enjoyed watching it.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:05 am
The Kramer

Listening to Queen songs is always nice, and the recreation of the Live Aid concert is truly impressive. This is a pretty boring and standard biopic for most of the running time though. It shows a lot of things that happened but rarely cares why they happened. We never learn why Freddie became an "outrageous queen", just that his character was like that before he was famous despite having a normal and trauma-free life up to that point. And while there are a few times the movie stops for a nice moment that doesn't involve writing a song or someone yelling "THATS NOT THE WAY ITS DONE" , it just wasn't enough.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:25 pm
Hold the door!

This was pretty meh. You’d be better off on Queen’s Spotify page. It is not compelling beyond the music. Only the Live Aid concert is even compellingly shot. Look to A Star Is a Born for how to make an enthralling film about the music industry. This isn’t one.

C

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:38 pm
Forum General

A Star Is Born is definitely a more emotionally resonant and effective film, but suprisngly I still ended up really enjoying this. Rami Malek is great even if his Freddie Mercury comes off as kind of arrogant prick at times, and yeah he is also somewhat of your stereotypical and obnoxious gay male carricture which is something I definitely think they should have dialed back on. The biggest flaws with this film is the same stuff most people have already complained about like how standard and tame it is for a biopic, but I don't know I still felt like there was some good emotion and heart in this, especially towards the end. I thought that the third act was easily the strongest part of the film IMO with Freddie dealing with his loniliness and trying to get the band back together and as distracting as some of the CGI and GreenScreen was in that Live Aid concert sequence it was still a pretty damn epic scene. Also, Mike Myers was fucking awesome in his role.

B+

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]