Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Suspiria 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

Suspiria 
Keeping it Light

Post Suspiria

Quote:
Suspiria (Latin: [sʊsˈpɪria], lit. "sighs") is a 2018 supernatural horror film directed by Luca Guadagnino and written by David Kajganich, based on the 1977 film directed by Dario Argento. It stars Dakota Johnson, Tilda Swinton in a triple role, Mia Goth, Angela Winkler, Ingrid Caven, Elena Fokina, Sylvie Testud, Renée Soutendijk, Christine LeBoutte, Fabrizia Sacchi, Małgosia Bela, Jessica Harper, and Chloë Grace Moretz. Harper, the lead in the original film, appears in a different role. Set in 1977 Berlin, the plot follows a young American dancer who enrolls at a prestigious dance academy controlled by a coven of witches.

A remake of Suspiria was announced in 2008 after Guadagnino had acquired the option from the original film's writers, Argento and Daria Nicolodi. Guadagnino offered the project to director David Gordon Green, but it was canceled due to financing conflicts. In September 2015, Guadagnino confirmed his plans to direct, with the film described as an "homage" to the 1977 film rather than a direct remake. A new screenplay was drafted by Kajganich, who had written Guadagnino's previous project, A Bigger Splash (2015). Kajganich set the film during the German Autumn of 1977 to explore themes of generational guilt in Germany following World War II.

Unlike the original film, which uses exaggerated colors, Guadagnino conceived Suspiria as "winterish" and bleak, absent of primary colors. The film incorporates stylized dance sequences choreographed by Damien Jalet, which form part of its representation of witchcraft. Principal photography took place in late 2016 and early 2017 in Varese and Berlin. The score was composed by Radiohead singer Thom Yorke, who took inspiration from the krautrock created around the time of the film's setting.

Suspiria premiered at the 75th Venice International Film Festival on September 1, 2018. In the United States, it was released in a limited release by Amazon Studios in Los Angeles and New York on October 26, 2018, followed by Halloween screenings in select cities before opening wide on November 2, 2018. It will be released in the United Kingdom by Mubi on November 16, 2018.

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:48 am
Star Trek XI

Post Re: Suspiria
Holy shit! My first thoughts after the movie ended. Despite its 2 and a half hour running time, i was fully engaged throughout this and the acting was sensational, particularly from one of my favorite actresses Dakota Johnson. This is, by far, her best performance and she portrays Susie and her transformation perfectly. Tilda Swinton(in her 3 roles) and Mia Goth are also outstanding. The whole story is extremely intriguing and just builds and builds to a batshit crazy finale that will leave everyone in shock. Like Mother!, this is the type of film that demands further viewing as there is a lot to digest here. A deranged slow burn of a movie, one of the best of the year.

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:24 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was fucking brilliant.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:36 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Ambition is always admirable, but it does not always translate into a total triumph, and this is the flaw at the heart of this bold-by-way-of-pretentious, super-super-lengthy new imagining of Suspiria.

The conceit of the Dario Argento-directed cult favorite, of which I am fond but not overly enamored, remains (malevolent witches secretly operating out of a European dance studio), but it is now encased in a slow-drip two-and-a-half hour opus which borders on feeling academic between brief bursts of extreme violence and psychedelic nightmare imagery.

It is a handsomely shot picture in its way—the vivid colors of the original are replaced by a grimly monochromatic, snow-and-rain-swept vision of late-seventies Berlin—and well-acted—Tilda Swinton will receive a lot of attention for (relatively) convincingly portraying a male character, an elderly therapist, in addition to two other roles, but Mia Goth from Nymphomaniac and A Cure for Wellness is also excellent—but it is also frequently tedious and a shade self-satisfied.

The dancing and the witches still hold appeal, but I was less convinced by the nonstop references to the Red Army Faction, post-Holocaust trauma, and other divided-Germany politics; any symbolism (institutions in crisis, people following false leaders) is not worth the lugubrious heft.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:01 am
Forum General

Man this one was somewhat frustrating for me, because I can see how this could have easily been an instant classic, but it gets so bogged down and convoluted in trying to tell three or four different stories all at once and by the end of it I still have no idea of what this director was going for. It's definitely a well made and well shot film with really solid performances particularly Dakota Johnson, and even though I wasn't really bored this had no reason being 2 and a half hours long. I mean so much could have been cut out, especially the stuff with Dr. which I just didn't care about at all, and while Tilda Swinton does a commendable job acting wise it was so distracting to me seeing her play all these multiple roles and it felt just really unnecessary. I did really enjoy a lot of the horror stuff that was on display here though. That one scene of body horror was pretty damn effective and memorable and while I liked some of the gorier bits at the end the practical make-up effects could have been a lot better.

B-

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 pm
Wallflower

Did you actually watch the leaked version? I guess it didn't leak with subtitles and apparently like 20% of it is in French and German. As much as I want to see it I'm holding out for Amazon Prime to have the 4K version. :sweat: Really hoping it will be available with Prime on release day.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:54 am
Forum General

Yeah I watched the leaked version which didn't have any subtitles at all. Honestly, I still understood what was going on for the most part.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:03 pm
now we know

It seems that Call Me By Your Name was Luca Guadagnino's gay/male film, and Suspiria is his lesbian/female one. The entire cast is female, and it is so blindingly obvious that the character of Klemperer was not only played by a younger person, but a female one too! Guadagnino is not fooling anyone. I knew from the very first shot of the character. It's all in the mannerisms, and Swinton was out of place in the role. You cannot just put on a wig and some prosthetics and transform into an 80 year old male. And Dakota Johnson is her usual self; lifeless and lost.

This "film" is a complete bore. First off; if you miss the first 30 minutes, don't worry. Nothing happens. It's a complete write-off. Guadagnino totally failed with this remake. It's so tedious but to keep it appearing as a horror film, in the first half he puts in a few quick succession shots of violent and disturbing imagery. It is meant to work as shock horror to tide the viewer over until something actually happens, but it just comes off as a con.

The ending is utterly ridiculous. Marilyn Manson comes out and kills people. First he starts with Kathleen Turner, then moves on to the rest of the group. And if you're worried that this supposed horror movie will be too scary, again don't worry....you won't be scared in the slightest. But if you're having trouble sleeping, this is the gift that keeps on giving. Suspiria is pretension masquerading as art. Might be the worst horror film of this millennium.

Though Thom Yorke's end credits song, "Suspirium", is beautiful and mesmerizing. Check it out on YouTube and save yourself two-and-a-half hours!

Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Child Actor

Apologies.... I can't grade this movie... I couldn't finish it.... I felt sleep LOL

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:09 am
now we know

I wish I'd fallen asleep...and woken up just for the end credits so I could wake up to the beautiful sound of Thom Yorke.

Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:47 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

There are things in here that could make it an instant classic but the second half goes completely off rails here and even though the witch coven is done really well the story does not naturally flow towards that conclusion. Dakota Johnson is great but I didn't find Tilda Swinton as convincing (definitely not as Klemperer). Nothing tops of the first dancing act but most of the dance acts are done nicely. The movie is also overly long even though its intriguing enough to never be a slog. I loved the cinematography here. I can understand why so many here have called this great but the second half did not work for me.

C+

Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]