Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Old Man & the Gun 

Rate this film:
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

The Old Man & the Gun 
Keeping it Light

Post The Old Man & the Gun

Quote:
The Old Man & the Gun is a 2018 American crime comedy film written and directed by David Lowery, based on the true-life story of Forrest Tucker, a career criminal and prison escape artist. The script is based on David Grann's 2003 article in The New Yorker titled "The Old Man and the Gun", which was later collected in Grann's 2010 book The Devil and Sherlock Holmes. It stars Robert Redford, Casey Affleck, Danny Glover, Tika Sumpter, Tom Waits and Sissy Spacek. It is Redford's final role, as he announced his intent to retire from acting in August 2018.

It had its world premiere at the Telluride Film Festival on August 31, 2018 and was released in the United States on September 28, 2018, by Fox Searchlight Pictures.

Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:04 pm
Forum General

Post Re: The Old Man & the Gun
A pretty enjoyable and solid little film. Robert Redford still has a ton of chemistry and charm to carry a movie like this and it helps that the supporting cast is pretty solid as well.

B

Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:55 pm
Keeping it Light

It's a rather little, but very nice, film. Redford gives a solid performance in his swan song that is very well directed by Howerton. It pretty much plays as an ode to Redford, set in the time when he was in his prime himself and supported by a good cast around him. It is however a bit of a slow film too, that despite the thought of thrilling bank robberies it isn't that remarkable in that department. Some events are fleetingly passed through in what could have been more engaging. Still we're left with a very well crafted film, its lovely throwback score and cinematography made me enjoy this very much and allows Redford to end his acting career on a high note.

B+

Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:24 am
now we know

It is a nice film. Along with Clint Eastwood, Robert Redford is one of the final movie stars from that era still making good movies, and he's good here yet again. He's like a movie star's movie star. I think he bears a striking resemblance to Brad Pitt, or vice-versa (whichever is correct). I think when Pitt is 80 he'll look similar and have just as much of an allure as Redford still has now.

I loved the 70s setting and architecture and just ... vibe that was created. I know it's technically set in the 1980s, but the world still looked like the 70s at that time (it's not like as soon as it turned 1980 everyone was in Miami Vice mode) and this film did a good job of translating that . I had hoped it would have been more cunning that it was. In the beginning, I thought it might've been a little more like Brosnan's The Thomas Crown Affair with a few clever heists, but it was much more lackadaisical, though not without charm. I enjoyed all of the flashback parts where they had to use old photos/footage of Redford, and it was nice to see Danny Glover and Sissy Spacek too. I also liked the third member of the gang, Tom Waits, who I am not familiar with but thought could've been Nick Nolte when I first heard his voice!

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:42 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I enjoyed it but thought it was over-rated mostly because it was Redford's last role. It always great to see Redford and he is very believable as a criminal. The supporting cast is also great in here but it needed a few more surprises to stand out from a generic retelling of a biography.

B

Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]