Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 White Boy Rick 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

White Boy Rick 
Pure Phase

Post White Boy Rick

Quote:
White Boy Rick is a 2018 American biographical crime drama film directed by Yann Demange.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:17 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: White Boy Rick
A certain x factor is absent, so it falls short of being a truly excellent true-crime drama, but this is a dame fine film nonetheless, with a stirring performance by Matthew McConaughey and a compelling, appropriately dour story involving drugs, the justice system, and economic despair in Detroit. It could perhaps stand to be slightly longer, allowing certain sequences (such as the protagonist's trial in the third act) more room to breathe.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:18 am
Forum General

Post Re: White Boy Rick
After how fantastic '71 ended up being I really had high hopes for this one, but unfortunately it just didn't live up to my expectations. It's a pretty unmemorable and generic crime drama with a solid supporting cast, but a really weak lead in the kid playing Wershe Jr.. He wasn't awful by any means, but he just didn't bring anything special or interesting to the role. The whole time I'm watching this movie I couldn't think of a single reason why I should feel sympathetic towards his character other than the corrupt cops fucking him over which was messed up, but not enough to get me feel sorry for a dude who kind of brought it all on himself anyways. McConaughey is so good in this though and I really enjoyed the actress who played his older sister as well as the stuff with RJ Cyler and the gang he was a part of, but that stuff gets sidelined immediately, and for most of it we are just stuck with a unsympathetic and uncharismatic lead with Richie Merritt's performance.

C+

Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]