Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Peppermint 

Rate this film:
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Peppermint 
Keeping it Light

Post Peppermint

Quote:
Peppermint is a 2018 American vigilante film directed by Pierre Morel and starring Jennifer Garner. Also starring John Ortiz, John Gallagher Jr., Juan Pablo Raba, and Tyson Ritter, the plot follows a mother who sets out for revenge against the cartel that killed her husband and daughter. The film was released in the United States on September 7, 2018.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:38 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Peppermint
It delivers what it promises a full load of action with an action heroine BUT theemotional investment into the character is almost none after her family is killed. It seems like Jennifer Garner doesn't speak at all in the film but when she does the movie springs to life specially the finale. The dirty cop angle was handled badly. The bad neighbor really didn't deserve her kill. It's still engaging (possibly the reason audience would enjoy it) and there are some really good stunts but it was a let down because it's just one action scene after another without the main character or audience ever feeling the part of this emotional revenge journey.

5/10

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:17 pm
Wallflower

Negative reviews be damned, I loved this. Really entertaining movie. Jennifer Garner was great. It's nothing you haven't seen before but if you like these kinds of movies it's a good time, IMO. Wish it would have done better because I'd love a sequel.

8/10 (B+)

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 am
Keeping it Light

It's definitely not without flaws, basically it's just Death Wish but with a woman as a lead, and I like it similarly. The script is nothing-new-generic, there are a bunch of better revenge actioners out there, and it drips of cliches. But Garner is aces as this lead, while the recent Willis Death Wish has the better concept, every day man learns to be a vigilante to avenge his family, where Peppermint takes larger jumps and leaps and just actually goes beyond the believable, Garner is a more convincing lead than Willis. I have a soft spot for her since Alias and she's still able to sell the film and it's alright because of it.

B-

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:37 pm
now we know

I have no idea why this is called Peppermint, but this is an excellent action film. Narratively, it's all been done before. But Jennifer Garner is a bad ass of the likes that Charlize Theron, Jennifer Lawrence, etc. were not able to tap into. She is ace, largely because I've never seen her in a role like this before. She goes through hell. I rooted for her so much, and the film doesn't take a minute to breath. No-nonsense kills and no lag or side-plots. This is one of the surprises of the year. I cannot wait for Peppermint 2.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Algren wrote:
I have no idea why this is called Peppermint, but this is an excellent action film. Narratively, it's all been done before. But Jennifer Garner is a bad ass of the likes that Charlize Theron, Jennifer Lawrence, etc. were not able to tap into. She is ace, largely because I've never seen her in a role like this before. She goes through hell. I rooted for her so much, and the film doesn't take a minute to breath. No-nonsense kills and no lag or side-plots. This is one of the surprises of the year. I cannot wait for Peppermint 2.

I'm honestly shocked you liked it but am very pleased. :thumbsup: I wish it would have done better because I would have loved a sequel.

Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:27 pm
Forum General

I'm not sure why this received such toxic reviews. It's not great by any means but Garner gives a nice performance and it is gory fun.

B-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:35 pm
Profile YIM WWW
now we know

Magic Mike wrote:
Algren wrote:

I'm honestly shocked you liked it but am very pleased. :thumbsup: I wish it would have done better because I would have loved a sequel.

It's made me do a 180 on Garner, to be honest. I never liked her, but now I kinda do. :funny:

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I've been a fan of Garner because of Alias. She kicked ass on that show. I love her in action mode.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:03 pm
now we know

I'm aware of the show but I've never seen an episode. I hate that type of show. Just like 24, Nikita, and Dark Angel. Crap TV.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:05 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Well this was kind of a nice surprise. After hearing so much bad stuff about this one I went in expecting the worse, but honestly I enjoyed this movie quite a bit. After seeing crap like Mile 22 and that really mediocre Death Wish remake it feels good again to actually be satisfied by an action/revenge film. Jennifer Garner is great here and very believable as a badass, stone cold killer and I would love to see her do more films like this. The only thing I didn't like about this movie though were easily the villains who were just the most stereotypical, Mexican bad guys ever and the guy who played their leader wasn't intimidating at all. The stuff with John Gallagher Jr.'s character was not only predictable, but pretty ridiculous as well.

B

Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]