Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 The Nun 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10

The Nun 
Keeping it Light

Post The Nun

Quote:
The Nun is a 2018 American gothic supernatural horror film directed by Corin Hardy[2] and written by Gary Dauberman, from a story by Dauberman and James Wan. It is a spin-off of 2016's The Conjuring 2 and the fifth installment in The Conjuring Universe. The film stars Demián Bichir, Taissa Farmiga and Jonas Bloquet. The plot follows a priest and a Catholic novitiate, as they uncover an unholy secret in 1952 Romania. The film was released in the United States on September 7, 2018, by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:33 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: The Nun
It's very atmospheric but gets repetitive thus goes no where without any proper motives till the finale. The performances are very good but the whole arc of evil behind the door is barely explored and the end in itself has like one scare. The biggest of the faults is the use of fake Nun's which was neither scary and predictable in outcome. This is much better than the first Annabelle and we have a firmer resolution in the end but still not upto the franchise standards

5/10

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:03 am
Pure Phase

Maybe I am in the minority, but I had a blast with this film. It delivers what it advertises, full tilt: misty cemeteries, mistier corridors, decomposing corpses, demonic nuns, blood-of-Christ relics, and a steady, fulfilling dose of loud jolts and haunted-house atmospherics. It does not reinvent the wheel, but it plays the expected notes well. I highly enjoyed myself, jumping frequently and smiling at the macabre theatrics. And Demián Bichir and Taissa Farmiga deliver capable, committed performances and lend the film a certain extra gravitas. Maybe my favorite Conjuring-universe entry so far.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:47 am
Extraordinary

THE NUN

I was very disappointed in this. The plot didn't do much for me. I thought it was nice have an oscar nominee in here but his role was very bland and unimpressive. Another problem I had was the camera work in here. The cuts to and then from somebody were continual and it felt very tv-ish or sped up. The picture felt like something you'd see on tv in the 60s. Hard to explain what I was seeing. I may see it again just to see if I really believe this was that disappointing.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:59 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I knew David would love this. It falls right up in his alley with atmospheric old haunted house feature set in distant past. I do love all of those aspects it's just that the story holds no weight for me.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:13 pm
The Kramer

I liked the way this was set up. A gothic haunted chapel in a place that world had forgotten. Irene, Frenchie and the Priest-Cop all make a good impression with their one scene introductions. But once the spooky stuff starts, instead of the story having forward momentum like in the Conjuring 2, its just a lot more People Walking Slowly Towards Something Scary type of scenes. And then surprise! The ghost pops out from an angle you aren’t expecting. This ruined Annabelle: Creation for me and The Nun fell victim as well. The first Annabelle, flawed as it is, remains the only ECU spinoff worth remembering.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:02 pm
We had our time together

This was all I hate about horror movies. Just pure shit.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:00 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Well I didn't think it was awful, but compared to the other movies in this franchise it was pretty disappointing honestly. It's such a generic horror film that it just super unscary no matter how many jump scares they throw at you. It's a shame too because it definitely had potential. It's a well shot and directed with a spooky atmosphere at times and solid performances from Demián Bichir and Taissa Farmiga, but cheap jump scares and bad/cheesy dialogue really bog it down. Also, am I the only one who found the story they came up with here fucking ridiculous? Granted I know none of these movies are realistic in the slightest, but they did feel a lot more grounded than this. All that being said I did get some fun out of the ending and how gory it was at times. Some of the pratical stuff was really good too, but then they would ruin it with crappy CGI.

C+

Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:39 am
now we know

This was a hard slog. It did not resemble anything I've seen before from this franchise. In fact, it reminded me more of something like 2005's The Boogeyman. It was boring, uninteresting, with a story we've seen a thousand times before, and most of all it just wasn't scary. The jump scare tactics are repeated multiple times, and weren't even effective the first time. The film did not cleverly use the titular character (or indeed the gothic surroundings) to inspire fear or create anxiety. As soon as you see the CG teeth, all is lost. And the score doesn't do anything to differentiate it from a generic, mainstream, popcorn fright flick with a slice of religion. A pathetic entry in the franchise. And the inclusion of "Frenchy" for comic relief was not a wise decision. D

Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:42 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I went opening night. It wasn't even fun. It's not scary. Just boring. One of the worst of the year.

4/10 (D+)

Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]