Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Gladiator 

What grade would you give this film?
A 63%  63%  [ 15 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
D 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 24

Gladiator 
College Boy Z

Post Gladiator
Gladiator

Quote:
Gladiator is a 2000 historical epic directed by Ridley Scott, starring Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix, Connie Nielsen, Ralf Möller, Oliver Reed, Djimon Hounsou, Derek Jacobi, John Shrapnel and Richard Harris. Crowe portrays the loyal Roman General Maximus Decimus Meridius, who is betrayed when the Emperor's ambitious son, Commodus, murders his father and seizes the throne. Reduced to slavery, Maximus rises through the ranks of the gladiatorial arena to avenge the murder of his family and his Emperor.

Released in the United States on May 5, 2000, Gladiator was a box office success, receiving generally positive reviews, and was credited with briefly reviving the historical epic. The film was nominated for and won multiple awards, particularly five Academy Awards in the 73rd Academy Awards including Best Picture. Although there have been talks of both a prequel and sequel, as of 2011, no production has begun.

Fantastic movie. One of the best epic-type movies, if not the best. Russell Crowe was excellent, and Phoenix was quite good too. I loved the movie so much, and it's definently the movie that got me into these types of movies. I would not have enjoyed Troy as much as I did if I didn't see this movie. In my top 100 movies, definently, and one of the best of 2000.

A+/A

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:45 pm
Hot Fuss

A very, very good movie, though a wee bit historically inaccurate. Still, one of my favorite films.

A-

Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
I just lost the game

One of my all time favs. Number 2-4 depending on how I feel that day. Beautiful movie. I cannot express how wonderful the movie is.

A+

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:09 am
Extraordinary

Powerful film, one of my favorites of all time as well. - A

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:36 am
We had our time together

Awesome movie. The score is great and I love Crowe and Phoenix here. Great fight scenes too. A+/A

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

I love sword epics and unlike the recent sword epics that glorify the roman empire, the movie seems to go against the empire itself. The movie still isnt as great as Braveheart though

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:29 pm
now we know

Good sword and sandel pic, but the mistakes of the film make me like it less and less each time someone mentions it. Also, considering the sword play in films nowadays, Gladiators, although only 5 years old, is a bit amatuer looking.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:50 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

A pile of trash. Everything I hate about epics, in one ugly package.

I'd give it an F if not for the score, which is it's only redeeming quality. Also, this film isn't special enough to get a low score like that.

There is no excuse for a film like this.

D

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:09 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

One of my 20 all-time faves :)

Last edited by Dr. Lecter on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:30 am
Profile WWW
Draughty

One of the few films of the last decade that can stand up in comparison to movies from hollywood's better years. It was like a good 1960s epic. A+

Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Aslan Reigns Supreme

I really enjoyed this movie seen about 5 times. Each time it gets even better.
I deserved its Oscars especially Crowe. Grade A

3.Click
4.Over the Hedge
5.See No Evil

Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:50 pm
Mod Team Leader

What film making is all about! Let the summer sweeps begin!, 10 May 2000

I love the summer season for movies. Some of the best films have been released in the summer. Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Rambo, Jaws, films that pack a punch. Films that are high on octane and short on melodramatic self importance like the Virgin Suicides. Chalk Gladiator up as one of the great summer films that has been thrust upon us. This film has it all, action, gore, bravado, amazing battle sequences, wonderful choreography and a rising star.

Russell Crowe has played his share of different roles but it is this one that is probably going to make him a household name. Here he is buffed and muscular and visibly toned down from Oscar nominated role in The Insider.

To review this film is really pointless. To criticize it is even more useless. If you go into this film the way many sometimes over rated-self important critics do and expect another Spartacus, is just plain stupid. Spartacus is a movie unto itself. I don't think Gladiator wants to be Spartacus, I think it just wants to entertain. And guess what? It does that with flare. There is enough action in here to please those of us that are from the Raiders of the Lost Ark school. And dare I say it, but this film is better than Braveheart. I can honestly say that my heart was pounding the entire time I was sitting in the theater. Some of the battle scenes were what I would consider some of the best ever filmed. I have to say that the opening battle was not my favourite as Scott opted for way too many close ups where he should have let the action speak for itself. But that is the only complaint. Every battle was epic, every attempted mutiny was thrilling and every sneering, wining, sniveling sound that Joaquin Phoenix uttered made me want to get in the ring with him. I can't believe this is the same guy that was masturbating a lot in Parenthood. What a resume he has for himself.

Gladiator is the first real summer blockbuster in this young season. And judging by the audience reaction to it and judging by how good it is, it should go on to be one of the big guns from this summer. I think at this point we are all tired of all the utter excretement that has been forced down our throats so far in this year, we are ready for a film like Gladiator. This is a film that is worth seeing two or three times. It is that good and that much fun.

Again, it is useless to tell you what is good or bad about the film. If you like action and violence and men beating each other until death, and ancient battles and names like Caesar and Rome and shades of Hamlet and such, and if you like to watch men get attacked by tigers and slice other people's bellies open and chop off heads and other parts of the body, then this is the film for you. If that sounds rather barbaric and disgusting, well, there is always copies of Remains of the Day and Endless Love at the video store.

9.5 out of 10

Sat May 14, 2005 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Wow, what a lovefest! This is Scott's weakest film I've ever seen. I wouldn't call it bad storytelling, but I would cinsider it incredibly unineteresting. Besides the characters being very flat (which is so unlike him) and the "greater question" being non-existant (also unlike scott), the dumb scene were Phoenix reveals raping Crowe's wife while she squeeled was just silly. So were the flashback shots of the little boy riddling the movies. This is very unusual resort to cliche for Scott. I liked the cinema, he has "epic" narrative down pat...he just usually does something with it (like perhaps critique primogeniture?).

B-

Sun May 15, 2005 12:31 pm
The Original

Good travel back to ROM but I wished a better story. But excellent visuals actors cinematography etc..etc....And still the best from all those historic movies that came from then on (Braveheart was before I think).

gives 9/10

Sun May 15, 2005 1:33 pm

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. "
Truely a goose bump moment and the movie has one of the best dialogue ever for a historic epic. People may say the evil emperor vs the lowly peasent or in Maximus case slave is played out but I dont care, the movie really got my adrenaline going and its very heartfelt. Truely epical battle scenes thats well done by Ridley Scott. Outstanding performances with Connie Nelson, Rusell Crowe, and Jacquin Phoenix seal the deal for me
Currently in my top 10 of all time, the movie deserves an

A+ (9.6/10)

The best ending ever complete with "Now We are Free" playing in the background

Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:59 pm
Devil's Advocate

Love it. I remember seeing this when I was 10, and saying that it would "Win Best Picture!" as soon as I walked out. Strangely I was right :lol:.

In my top 20, for sure.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:01 pm
life begins now

It didn't deserve to win Best Picture, but it was one of the best films of 2000.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:56 pm
Profile YIM

Didnt deserve it? It was up against Chocalat, Erin Brockabitch, Traffic and Crouching Tiger. Out of the 4 movies I could understand Crouching Tiger but no way in hell does Erin Brockabitch, Chocalat or Traffic deserve best pic nod. That would be the worst win since Shakesphere in Love

Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:03 pm
You must have big rats

Of those films, none came even CLOSE to Gladiator. One of the most deserving wins of recent times.

Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
All Star Poster

Easily the third best film of 2000, but Snach and Billy Elliot were a little better. Its still in my top 30 films of all time

A+

Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:30 am
Kypade

I think I've only seen it over a period of two days in a chemistry class (and even then, in the wrong order), so I won't mention the fact that it's kinda sucky.

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:22 am
Homo Dperious

A+ - 9.7/10

Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:25 am
Profile ICQ
Indiana Jones IV

Amazing Film. Crowe and Phoenix had phenomenal performances. When watching this film, I don't think I have ever hated a character as much as I hated Commodus in this film. Which is what Scott was going for. Great F/X, direction, fight scenes. Everything is brilliant about this film. In my top 3.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:22 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Teh Mexican

This is easily one of the most overrated movies ever, of course, IMO

C-

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:30 pm

Post Re: Gladiator
I thought it was more educational in its themes, that to be loved comes not to the seeker, but to the seeked.

Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next