Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Supergirl 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Supergirl 
Keeping it Light

Post Supergirl

Quote:
Supergirl is a 1984 British superhero film directed by Jeannot Szwarc and written by David Odell. It is based on the DC Comics character of the same name and serves as a spin-off from Alexander and Ilya Salkind's Superman film series. The film stars Helen Slater as Supergirl, along with Faye Dunaway, Mia Farrow, and Peter O'Toole, with Marc McClure reprising his role as Jimmy Olsen from the Superman films. He was the only actor to do so. Supergirl was the first English language superhero film to feature a woman in the lead role.

Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:23 am
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Supergirl
Outside of Helen Slater being absolutely gorgeous in the role. This is easily the worst superhero film of the 80s

I liked the original script idea of having Reeve having a decent role in it. The Salkinds were just so bad at shifting and relied on horrible writers to make the changes on the fly.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:17 pm
now we know

It was interesting to rewatch Supergirl. I had watched it a few times on TV as a child but, again, I don't remember watching it in its entirety. I remember the fairground scenes and the mountain finale, but not much of the filler bits. It is a lesser product than the main series in every conceivable way. Certainly a low-stakes female spin-off of the main series. If you don't believe me, check out the dodgems scene (intense stuff!). The effects are kind of worse then Reeve's movies but also kind of similar. They're bad anyway! They learned from the bore-fest of Superman: The Movie and only dedicated about 10 minutes to a non-Earth opening. Phew. But when Supergirl arrives on Earth she goes for a fly and it's so obviously trying to hide the strings that it's all shot from behind bushes. But you can still see the strings!! lol

I don't understand why acclaimed actors threw themselves at this franchise. First with Gene Hackman and Marlon Brando, and this time with Peter O'Toole and Faye Dunaway, who both enjoy hamming it up. Then there's Peter Cook. Not a big name, but still surprised he agreed to be in this crud. But he fills in as the stereotypical Englishman rather well, with those teeth. As for Supergirl, Helen Slater fits the role better than Reeve ever fit Superman. But she's just as bad at acting. She is very attractive when in the Super suit. The perfect cosplayer. But she just seems lost in her own movie, and she becomes an instant boner-killer when she dons the brunette hairpiece. And her character is incompetent. She should've just called her cousin!

This film is an odd one. For a few reasons, but one is quite alarming. Die Hard's Hart Bochner, who is obviously an adult male, falls in love with schoolgirl, Linda Lee. This isn't a real love, it's a spell set by Dunaway, though it's still there as a visual - a schoolgirl falling in love with an adult man, kissing him, etc. Anyway, I am willing to concede that because she is Supergirl, she just "looks young" and is actually an adult too. But there are no excuses why Jimmy Olsen, also obviously an adult male, ends up snogging Lois Lane's schoolgirl cousin, Lucy Lane. But nobody bats an eyelid. It's perverted. D+

Superman III C+
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace C
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut C
Supergirl D+
Superman: The Movie D

Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]