Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Christopher Robin 

Rate this film:
A 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Christopher Robin 
Pure Phase

Post Christopher Robin

Quote:
Christopher Robin is a 2018 American fantasy comedy-drama film directed by Marc Forster.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:03 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Christopher Robin
An incredibly charming film. Its gambit—revisiting the world of Winnie the Pooh in a gentle, tasteful, at times elegiac drama appealing to both adults and children while pandering to neither—is entirely successful, and I am so glad this film exists rather than one where, say, Pooh and co. are transported to present-day Hollywood for a series of frenzied action sequences and low-brow gags. Of course, the message is pat and predictable—this is not an avant-garde Disney film where cynicism and greed win the day—but it is persuasive due to the sincerity of Ewan McGregor's performance and the film in general. It brought a tear to my eye on a few occasions while also earning hearty laughs. The iconic A. A. Milne characters given significant screen time (Pooh, Eeyore, Piglet, Tigger; others, such as Rabbit and Kanga, are closer to extended cameos) are perfectly realized, from the voices to the worn-and-well-loved-childhood-doll aesthetic.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:16 pm
The Kramer

Tough to watch in the first half, tons of fun in the second. So I’ll give it a B. The second Eor comes back it becomes good and becomes great when they leave the 100 Acre Wood.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:49 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its predictable from the beginning and while its the same routine its the actors that make this movie may it be voice cast or the screen actors all bring their A-game, unfortunately the script goes on forever in the first half and the second half is not convincing enough but its a decent family movie once you get past the first half.

5/10

Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:32 am
Superman: The Movie

That poor neighbor never got his game of Gin Rummy.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:06 pm
Profile WWW
The Antichrist

David wrote:
An incredibly charming film. Its gambit—revisiting the world of Winnie the Pooh in a gentle, tasteful, at times elegiac drama appealing to both adults and children while pandering to neither—is entirely successful, and I am so glad this film exists rather than one where, say, Pooh and co. are transported to present-day Hollywood for a series of frenzied action sequences and low-brow gags.

This.

This is Disney playing Disney.
The main content of the movie is the relationship between youth and adult age, and the absolute necessity for adults to keep their childness alive, to still be a child inside - the adult who does not do that is dull, boring, flat, adapted, "responsible". It's perhaps the most traditional and distinctive off all Disney morals and contents.
The film develops that perfectly, especially in the central part, where Christopher Robin's coldness and the distance towards Pooh is showed in such an instense and effective way that it made me cry more than once.
This is thanks to Ewan McGregor's performance, but also to how the characters and the situations were handled. Pooh is Pooh. Piglet is Piglet. Eeyore is Eeyore. Tigger is Tigger. In modern times, this is likely the best thing about the movie. And that was far from a given, especially after the latest pseudo-Disney abominations shown on screen (Pete's Dragon and The Jungle Book above all, both elegies to utilitarism that successfully managed to uproot all warmth and magic from the originals).
My personal grade is 9.5/10. The movie has some (minor) flaws, but they're overall forgivable - it just does very well what it was supposed to do. That's why those who didn't like it shouldn't have even thought about buying a ticket in the first place.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:05 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

That's stupid to say that if you didn't like the movie you shouldn't have bought the ticket but I guess is Omni being Omni.

Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:45 am
Forum General

Such a charming, cute and delightful film. I had a smile on my face the whole way throughout and a part of me wishes there was a sequel because I really enjoyed spending time with these characters. Sure a part of it is nostalgia, because I did grow up watching a lot of Winnie the Pooh, but this is a well done and perfectly harmless fell good family film IMO. The voice work for the characters is fantastic even if some are newer additions and I thought the CGI on them was pretty seamless too. I really liked the cinematography in this film as well, especially the fact that it wasn't nearly as dark and gloomy as it looked in the trailers. I also don't get the complaints with Ewan McGregor's casting as Christopher Robin.

I didn't think he was miscast at all and I thought he brought plenty of heart and sincerity to his scenes where he had to interact with Pooh and the gang. The only characters I wasn't a big fan of was Haley Atwell as the worrisome wife and the bumbling boss who I could done without because all he did was add more slapsticky humor.

B+

Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:37 pm
The Antichrist

Jack Sparrow wrote:
That's stupid to say that if you didn't like the movie you shouldn't have bought the ticket but I guess is Omni being Omni.

It's one of the rare cases when a trailer gives you a perfect picture of what kind of stuff you'll get if you see it. So if you like the trailer and buy a ticket, you MUST like the movie.
But apparently you didn't even understand that. Sparrow being Sparrow.

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:51 am
Hold the door!

This was a super excellent movie. It has some cliches yes, but everything is so well done from the special effects work to the humor and the realization of the characters. Its also very emotional.

A

Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]