Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Spy Who Dumped Me 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Spy Who Dumped Me 
Keeping it Light

Post The Spy Who Dumped Me

Quote:
The Spy Who Dumped Me is a 2018 American action comedy film directed by Susanna Fogel and co-written by Fogel and David Iserson. The film stars Mila Kunis, Kate McKinnon, Justin Theroux, and Sam Heughan.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:18 pm
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: The Spy Who Dumped Me
I wasn’t planning on seeing this, but as I was walking out of my screening for Mission: Impossible - Fallout into the parking lot, I noticed that Moviepass was up and running again (I will milk that dry for as long as I can), and this was the only option that I either hadn’t already seen or wasn’t purged. And this really is the kind of movie Moviepass was made for, at least for me; doesn’t look good enough to pay straight up for, but not bad enough to avoid completely.

Well, it’s not good, but it’s not without it’s charms. To start with the positive, Kunis and McKinnon are very good together. They play off one another nicely, and they deserve a much better script. And that’s the problem. You know exactly where the movie’s going long before it gets there.

Another problem with the script? Its just not funny enough. I’d say that for every ten jokes this movie makes, about three of them land and they’re almost always courtesy of McKinnon. Hopefully she’ll get a role one day outside of SNL that truly showcases her talents.

Also, maybe I’m becoming a bit of a prude, but there’s pretty much no reason for this movie to be rated R. It’s kind of brutally violent for no reason, and even has an innocent character get shot in the head that’s supposed to be played for laughs.

Yeah, I wasn’t a fan. I did see two movies in one day though, and I found five bucks in the parking lot as I was heading back into the theater so I can’t complain too much.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:49 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

McKinnon has talent? She has overachieved so far, she just isn't funny but keeps getting roles. Hopefully, if something good is to come from this film, this is her last chance.

Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:52 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was so lame. A lot of wasted potential despite the cast trying their best. C-

Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:39 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yep pretty much the same sentiment the cast tries hard but it just doesn't work. This is why these spy comedies are so difficult to make, try tend to forget the balance.

4/10

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:59 pm
now we know

This film is what it is, and that is mostly silly. It improves when they get to Europe, but most of the jokes fall flat. Some were good, but few and far between. And Kate McKinnon is a bit much.

It was a frustrating watch. My screening was the green-band version here in China. They are not even discreet about it. Just a straight-up dubbing. "Fuck" is replaced with "Duck", "Vagina" is replaced with "Vag Stick", voices do not match the lips they are coming from, and much of the violence is cut. But for what it's worth, I did enjoy the violence they allowed to be shown, or the violence that they alluded to. It was harder than I imagined it would be for a femme-comedy. The film didn't make much sense, and I think it knew it. C-

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:16 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]