Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Mission: Impossible - Fallout 

Rate this film:
A 79%  79%  [ 11 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

Mission: Impossible - Fallout 
now we know

Post Re: Mission: Impossible – Fallout
Extremely picky.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:41 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Looks like stuffp picked you :P

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:01 am
now we know

Well it's just stupid. People bang on and on about wanting realism in film, then when they get it they complain.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:08 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Actually, yeah I'm OK with this:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
given they had less than an hour to setup the whole thing, it made sense if some of the things were wrong

It does make a whole lot more sense then:
Algren wrote:
showing denim and gas canisters in 180 AD

Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:35 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

stuffp wrote:
Actually, yeah I'm OK with this:
Jack Sparrow wrote:
given they had less than an hour to setup the whole thing, it made sense if some of the things were wrong

:drink:

Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:44 am
Keeping it Light

So

The location of the cities is actually kind of right, but it's just a messed up map that shows an inversion of water and land mass, that makes it just confusing to look at. And in that case those cities are not actually in those waters. Let's allude that to the rush job they had to set it up then.

I don't like the map, but technically I was wrong I guess..

Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:47 am
Defeats all expectations

It is gorgeously filmed with beautiful scenery and in crystal clear images. But the story is a little far-fetched:

1) The White Widow seems too unsuspecting of Hunt pretending to be John Lark in their first meeting.
2) The White Widow as a broker is too involved in the buyer's business (extraction of Lane from the French authorities).
3) Walker, after his cover is blown, refuses to kill Hunt in the elevator because he still wants to frame Hunt as Lark. That does not make sense.

I liked the "nuclear scientist in fake hospital room" scene, the bathroom fight, car chase and building jumping sequences. But I felt the film dragged near the end with the uninvolving story and characters. The 15-minute explosion countdown felt like over 30 minutes (another plot deficiency).

69/100

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:07 pm
Keeping it Light

Still, this is possibly the best reviewed 2018 film overall on the site?

Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:23 pm
Defeats all expectations

stuffp wrote:
Still, this is possibly the best reviewed 2018 film overall on the site?

Is there a "best reviewed" list somewhere?

Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:41 pm
Keeping it Light

I don't have it, but other films I A Star Is Born, Black Panther, Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, didn't read a better good review ratio then here I think.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:19 am
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade

A+/A

Without question the best MI film

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:01 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

stuffp wrote:
I don't have it, but other films I A Star Is Born, Black Panther, Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, didn't read a better good review ratio then here I think.

Genre films for guys have a lower bar to cross here, I guess.

Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:57 pm
Devil's Advocate

This is definitely one of the best action movies of this era. The way the set pieces were filmed were so clear and great, the opposite of shaky cam films. The bathroom fight and the helicopter chase were both highlights despite the wildly different scope, and the HALO jump delivered. Now that I know the scope of Cruise doing his own stunts you can tell how it makes them better like him being on the edge of helicopters, etc. They did a good job showing how legitimately close to losing the team was, they needed a miracle comeback in the 4th quarter to pull this one out. Ethan felt close to dying on multiple occasions, even on small things like jumping over buildings

I really loved all the double crossing in the first half of the film, I thought three countries really did get nuked because Ethan wouldn't let Luther die and getting Walter to reveal himself with the fake Layne was great too. They pushed it a little bit having 3 romantic interests in one film, but this was about the best they were going to do for giving Ethan an emotional stake.

Why couldn't we nominate this for Best Picture again?

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:48 am
now we know

Shack wrote:
Why couldn't we nominate this for Best Picture again?

We did nominate it for Best Picture.

Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:42 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is definitely the best of the franchise (thus far). Every scene tops another and there is still a lot of back-and-forth spy action. Its an edge-of-your seat thriller from start to end though at times there is too much stuffed into it.

A

Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:10 am
Keeping it Light

Rewatched it this week, and in my original review I was definitely an ass for pointing at the map thing, which I was wrong about anyway and I didn't even notice it at all this time. However, I was not that enamored with this as much as I remembered the first time, though there are some really good moments here and there in the first 1hr45m, I find the plot the least interesting one yet actually. With most of the cast returning from RN it feels like a true sequel to that, and against my early judgement I feel this is slightly inferior to that now. I don't care for Bassett in the role as CIA chief, but this film and franchise definitely made the best decision by casting Cavill as the main henchman baddie. He's awesome and his scenes with Cruise elevate the film, the bathroom fight scene is simply great and very re watchable. And though I was not so into the story for the most part, I get and maybe even like that they wanted to paint Hunt as this valuing one friend's fate as much as millions, I just found they lost the plutonium to easily and made too much a point of it too throughout the film, I would have liked this to be a bit more elaborate i guess.
However the film absolutely saves the best for last, it ends on a very high note with the chopper chase scene and Cavill and Cruise final tussle. Also the bomb countdown is well done and tense and I love that Monaghan has a role in the last part too. And while Luther's presence in the previous two films was iffy I found they gave him the right things to work with here.

Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3