Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Unfriended: Dark Web 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Unfriended: Dark Web 
Pure Phase

Post Unfriended: Dark Web

Quote:
Unfriended: Dark Web is a 2018 American found footage horror film written and directed by Stephen Susco.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:04 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Unfriended: Dark Web
I would place this a notch above its predecessor for one primary reason: I found the story here, involving cryptocurrency and the illicit trade of filmed murders, more compelling and frightening than the first film's supernatural elements. (It moves the franchise closer to The Den, an incredibly unsettling independent horror film too few have seen.) Both Unfriended entries are similarly well-made within their very specific purview, from the real-time urgency to the convincing transformation of the frame into chaotic-yet-legible array of browser windows, computer programs, and video chats. I am sure there are enormous gaps in logic ("a person can't do this with a computer," "the police would never believe this," etc., etc.), but nothing overtly bothered me in the moment. The format-slash-gimmick remains fun in a William Castle sense; conversely, of course, anyone who found the prior picture irritating will not be swayed by this loose sequel.

My screening ended with the Vanishing-esque buried-alive sequence. I read the other ending is the protagonist being hit by a van, which I cannot imagine having the same impact (no pun intended).

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:35 am
Forum General

I'd definitely say this is a better film than the first. The characters are a lot more likable and I found the horror element to be way more effective this time around. There are some truly tense and chilling moments in this movie, and while there are huge leaps in logic it honestly didn't bother that much because I was so engaged for the most part.

B

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:48 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This felt less draggy than the first and even with all the side stories it worked more coherently as a movie. I didn't like acting of the characters and their motivations were plot manipulations but there are good tense moments though it was never edge of my seat thriller.

5/10

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:44 am
now we know

I thought this was pretty good. I think it's also an improvement over the first film (from what I remember of it - not the most memorable). It is effective and well thought through. And it's super easy to pick up what's going on. The cinematography (if that's still what it's called when all the entire film is a laptop screen) is superb. The deaths are not, though. They are all hidden. The same goes for those contribution videos. Pretty lame for an R-rated horror movie. And it's not scary in the slightest. But it is an addictive and very watchable thriller. Even now after Unfriended and Open Windows, this still feels quite a fresh way make a film. B

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

David wrote:
I read the other ending is the protagonist being hit by a van

I got that ending, and it was lame. I knew exactly what was going to happen.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Saw it in theaters. I thought it was great. Better than the first. I found the characters pretty likable for the most part and didn't want them to die. The movie itself is really engaging.

8/10 (B+)

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]