Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again 
Pure Phase

Post Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again

Quote:
Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again is a 2018 jukebox musical romantic comedy film directed and written by Ol Parker, from a story by Parker, Catherine Johnson and Richard Curtis.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:03 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again
Delightful. The Mamma Mia! franchise neatly dodges, "There did not need to be a sequel" cynicism because...of course there did not need to be a sequel, but the A-list cast is still having obvious, hard-to-resist fun; the island locales are as bright and picturesque as they were a decade ago; and ABBA's exquisite pop craftsmanship remains a firm foundation, with worthy deeper cuts ("Andante, Andante;" "Why Did It Have to be Me?") comfortably co-existing with a few reprisals of the most iconic hits ("Dancing Queen," the title song). And Lily James is truly a treasure playing Meryl Streep's character as a young woman; she delivers an effortless, fetching, and soulful comic performance.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:32 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's entertaining fluff. I thought the best scene in the entire movie was actually the "Super Trouper" number at the end with everyone - put a big smile on my face. Honestly the last twenty minutes are really fantastic from the minute "Dancing Queen" gets a reprise. The direction is much better than the original film here and the cast seems to be having a blast. It's too long and definitely drags at some points but it accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do for the most part. Lily James is lovely and it's nice seeing Amanda Seyfried with a big leading role again. B

Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:54 pm
Profile YIM
Keeping it Light

Here We Go Again is pretty much as good as a sequel can be, it's just as much a prequel actually and it just works. We get the same fun cast back, minus Streep who I was missing a bit though, but new addition Lily James as the young Donna character is just captivating. It's the most I've liked her in any role since, and the other "young roles" are good and fun to watch too. Definitely was a great move for them to play out the story of Sophie's dad could be anyone of three guys. Sophie's story in real-time with her relationship with Sky and coming full-circle by getting pregnant herself was less interesting, but it did provided a few emotional touches at the end. And it remains great to have these characters of Firth, Skargard and Brosnan around, but the real star throughout this film just like in the first is just the music. Great songs to listen to in charming environments and with fun scenes, I cracked up at the part with Skarsgard in the fat suit playing his character's twin.

A-

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:51 am
Keeping it Light

thompsoncory wrote:
It's too long and definitely drags at some points but it accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do for the most part.

I felt the time coming on a little bit too, but after the Super Trouper ending I left with such a good feeling it all didn't matter much anymore.
And Garcia and Cher have nice small roles in this too.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:06 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I didn't like it. Everything felt off and rushed at times. Resolutions aren't given justice but instead a song is played to lighten the mood. It's still a fun and light watch but Streep was thoroughly missed here that's why I liked the last 20 minutes or so.

6/10

Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]