Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Animal Crackers 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Animal Crackers 
Keeping it Light

Post Animal Crackers

Quote:
Animal Crackers is an American-Spanish 3D computer animated comedy fantasy film, co-directed by Scott Christian Sava and Tony Bancroft, and written by Sava and Dean Lorey. The film stars the voices of John Krasinski, Emily Blunt, Danny DeVito, Ian McKellen, Sylvester Stallone, Raven-Symoné, Patrick Warburton and Wallace Shawn.

The film had its world premiere in competition at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival on June 12, 2017. The film was originally set to be released on April 28, 2017 by Relativity Media, however, a financial crisis within the company prevented them from releasing the film. It was then set to be released on September 1, 2017 by upstart film studio Serafini Releasing before they also shut down. A few months later, in November 2017, it was announced that Entertainment Studios would distribute the film worldwide, and later set an August 10, 2018 release date for the United States in April.

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:11 am
now we know

A bit of a disappointment, to be honest. Firstly, I watched this in China, and despite being told by the director that it was the English version being screened, it was actually dubbed in Mandarin. So one of the main reasons I went to see it (the star voices; precisely Sylvester Stallone as Bulletman) wasn't there, which considerably lowered my enjoyment. But anyway, I took my son to see it, so that was new. It was his first film he'd seen at the cinema. He was really well behaved. Sat there and watched it all the way through. No fiddling with his 3D glasses, no talking or screaming, so I was very pleased with that. He was quiet but perhaps it was because it was his first time in a cinema, because honestly I don't know how he could have enjoyed it as the film isn't all that fun or bright. He didn't giggle or smile at any part (which he does at home watching cartoons). It's very dark. A lot of it plays in the shade, indoors, and in shadows, and with 3D glasses it makes it unpleasantly dark. I would say this film is not for very young children. When it got colourful (about 3-4 times in the film) it was nice, and we had a nice time seat-dancing to Queen's "Don't Stop Me Now" musical number, but most of it takes place inside the circus' canopy.

Overall, the animation just isn't as rich and defined as a studio like Pixar (which is the standard everyone has come to expect, and if you don't reach that level it's a collective strike), and the story is a tad generic. But, at least for me, this viewing was such a waste of the voice talent involved, and the film even had the nerve to show who played whom at the end. And I've also seen Chinese posters featuring Emily Blunt, John Krasinski, Stallone, Danny DeVito, and Ian Mckellen, so it is confusing why they would dub over their voices in the film.

All of that being said, I do not understand why the film is having such a hard time being picked up stateside. It's noticeably not as well animated as even, say, Leap! (and of course no where near as good as Illumination/Pixar), but it's still competently made, even if it wasn't that funny and the framing was often too close. But considering some of the crap released in US theaters, it is surprising this also hasn't occupied some marquee space.

C

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:21 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Animal Crackers
It is strange that this was dubbed. I know that animated movies are dubbed here. I've come to expect this, but not even Incredibles 2 was dubbed. You'd think if any movie would be dubbed it would be a movie from a studio as big as Disney who presumably knows how best to prepare their movies for other markets. And on top of that, I was told Animal Crackers was the original version. Ugh, I'm bummed out. :(

Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:46 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Animal Crackers
The characterization of Horatio (Ian Mckellen) and Chesterfield (Danny DeVito) is good - these were probably the most fun characters to voice (and I imagine if in English they would also be the most fun to watch). There is also a lengthy scene where Mario (Gilbert Gottfried) chases Zoe (Blunt) and Owen (Krasinski) which is probably the highlight of the film for me - it's where the most laughs come from and it's nicely framed (and bright - to offset the darkening 3D glasses).

Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:06 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]