Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Ant-Man and the Wasp 

Rate this film:
A 27%  27%  [ 3 ]
B 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
C 45%  45%  [ 5 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 11

Ant-Man and the Wasp 
Keeping it Light

Post Ant-Man and the Wasp

Quote:
Ant-Man and the Wasp is a 2018 American superhero film based on the Marvel Comics characters Scott Lang / Ant-Man and Hope van Dyne / Wasp. Produced by Marvel Studios and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, it is the sequel to 2015's Ant-Man, and the twentieth film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). The film is directed by Peyton Reed and written by the writing teams of Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers, and Paul Rudd, Andrew Barrer and Gabriel Ferrari. It stars Rudd as Lang and Evangeline Lilly as Van Dyne, alongside Michael Peña, Walton Goggins, Bobby Cannavale, Judy Greer, Tip "T.I." Harris, David Dastmalchian, Hannah John-Kamen, Abby Ryder Fortson, Randall Park, Michelle Pfeiffer, Laurence Fishburne, and Michael Douglas. In Ant-Man and the Wasp, the titular pair team up to embark on a new mission from Hank Pym.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Ant-Man and the Wasp
Ant-Man and The Wasp is superb, hitting every note you could want out of a Marvel movie, and any other type honestly. It is comedy that never undermines its serious moments with humor and thus really earns the big emotional moments. The action scenes don't interrupt the story, and they are always unique and exciting. The movie never feels slow and doesn't fall victim to a dull third act. It is fun or thrilling or emotional or witty at all times.

The main villain is sympathetic, her primary motivation of survival trumping her petty need for revenge. And she gets rewarded properly for this. The good guys are all loveable as well. Judy Greer and Bobby Canavalle are the only returning characters that lose any screen time. Pena and his crew all get fantastic moments. A truth serum laden Luis story is as much of a highlight as it was in the first, coming in at just the perfect time.

And while the story is very personal, and the main conflict is pretty much the choice of one life vs another life, it never feels small. The world changing implications of their mission are clear, even if the characters aren't currently interested in them. As previous stated, it hits every mark that I want in a big movie. I'd rank it top 5 of the MCU, perhaps being the most tight and balanced of them all.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:21 am
Extraordinary

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Ant-Man and The Wasp is superb, hitting every note you could want out of a Marvel movie

Except a villain that has anything to do with the main plot, a sense of forward momentum, or genuine interest in what's going on. :thumbsup:

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:58 am
The Kramer

Not sure what you mean by that. Ghost and our heroes are competing to use the technology to save a life - hers vs Janet's. How is that not part of the main plot? Is it because the heroes are more concerned with their own success tham foiling someone else like with Ronan, Malekith, Vulture, etc...

Also, for me atleast, Ant-Man and The Wasp gave a reason to care about every single shot in the movie. So I'll heartily disagree with your last two points. :D

Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:27 am
Extraordinary

I didn’t care about Janet because, frankly, Scott didn’t care all that much about saving Janet.

Ghost is a roadblock thrown in without rhyme or reason other than the movie wouldn’t have action scenes without her (Burch is even more transparently there for action beats). The whole conflict between her and the leads is based off a timetable that’s handwaved in and doesn’t really exist. She’s fighting them because she needs the tech NOW even though she actually doesn’t, and waiting an extra 12 hours would mean she had everyone trying to help her.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:05 pm
Superman: The Movie

So Scott, Hope, Hank, and Janet were so focused on the quantum realm and it’s healing powers that none of them realized the Avengers were fighting Thanos. I guess it didn’t make the spaceship hovering over New York didn’t make the news? Dumb logic aside, it’s probably necessary to have him down there.

And that last scene at the end was hilarious. It pissed off a group of people in my theater which made me laugh even harder. It’s the first “middle finger” stinger from Marvel that I can remember.

I had a lot of fun. It’s not quite as good as the first, but it’s still a lot of fun.

B+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
---------

I get the impression Hank Pym wants nothing to do with the Avengers, after his history with S.H.I.E.L.D (despite them not really being connected to that anymore).

Scott probably still feels guilty for going off on his own in Civil War, so is likely intentionally staying back too.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:41 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Scott will be sucked into meeting up with the Avengers again after the post credits scene.

I thought it was a lot fun. Possibly better than the first. Another MCU success.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:06 am
The Kramer

Yeah it doesn't make sense that Team A&W missed the invite to Wakanda. It also doesn't match the timeline since Scott is freed from house arrest at the end, but some time has passed from that moment to the Snapture. Marvel had managed to avoid the "why don't the heroes always help each" conundrum pretty well in phase 3. Two were in space, one was in a purposely hidden land and two actually did have them helping/obstructing each other.

Dark Shape, would you have been happier if say, Ghost had emerged from the Quantum Realm due to the Pym's meddling? Therefore making it their responsibility to stop/help her? While her background could definitely use some more depth, I liked how they didn't go all in on Hank being the cause for her condition. It is a he said/he said with her father and Hank. Much like his falling out with Howard Stark and Yellowjacket, his antisocial personality didn't help matters, but they made their own choices. And she is basically a child with superpowers. Her entire life has been grown-ups telling her they will help if she helps them first. With an unknown amount of days to live, it is easy to see why she would become so desperate and ravenous. I also like that helping her is something Janet did not because she felt guilty and responsible, but because she is a hero just like the rest of them.

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:38 am
The Kramer

Jmart's grade was as frontloaded as the opening weekend. :(

Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:41 am

What last scene are you referring to Jmart?

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:45 am
Superman: The Movie

The one with the ant playing drums. I don’t know why I originally wrote “that scene aside” because I didn’t have a problem with the scene. I love that the movie basically provides no hope to anyone looking for it after Infinity War.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

ANT-MAN AND THE WASP

I enjoyed the movie overall. It was good, not anywhere great at all. Rudd, Lilly, and the rest do a good job. I loved the vfx making Douglas look decades younger. That tech is so amazing. Makes me wonder who Harrison Ford is gonna look in Indy 5 if he's still around. Turn that film into a prequel hybrid with flashbacks of younger Indy so we can pass the baton already. Anyway, I thought the Ghost character was bleh. The other villain was meh. The film really picks up towards the end with the best sequences. Finally, the film felt very small and confined to me. This heist story makes me wonder if we even needed this sequel for a Wasp when they didn't even let her live through the snap. Why is she here? Ugh.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 am
now we know

This sequel hasn't evolved much from its predecessor, though I had a better time with it partly because I knew what to expect. When it's in action mode, it is entertaining. Watching Ant-Man and The Wasp maneuver into and around the bad guys while growing then shrinking and using nearby objects as weapons is never not satisfying, especially when Ant-Man goes huge (using that truck as a scooter was fun). But the film is more than that, and unfortunately it's this 'more' that undermines it (I'm looking at you Michael Pena!). Ninety-nine percent of the attempts at humour just fall completely flat (and there's a lot of attempts). The Ghost (British villain, hooray for originality!) and Walton Goggins are terrible villains in this, too. I feel Ant-Man just isn't interesting enough of a character to have his own franchise, at least not with the characters that Marvel has created for him in this universe (he feels much better as a supporting act helping out other MCU films). I feel sorry for Rudd because he's well cast, it's just the wrong screenwriter(s) to do this character justice. And it's Marvel again at its safest. Nobodies dies, and they all live happily ever after (yeah, I saw the credits scene, but still..nobody dies inside the 90).

C

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

The second Ant-Man film is alright, it's really more of a comedy with a superhero in it, than the other way around. Rudd remains suitable for that and the rest of the recurring and new cast is nice too, but the jokes and the lines in the film are mostly just not funny. Already as it suffered in the first part from being low-staked, there's no difference to that in this sequel. No-one really gets hurt, or did Ghost kill some baddies in that hotel lobby I don't remember actually. And it's all just very fluff and light. Ant-man's daughter is cute and there's some action set-pieces surrounding ant-man's abilities that give the film some energy at times. But it's not enough to make it an interesting film, and coming off Infinity War, it's a pretty deflating entry in the universe. It's tie-in to that at the very last scene was simply the most satisfying moment in this probably.

C+

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:00 am
now we know

Yeah. Something I forgot to mention. The credits scene linking it to Infinity War was probably the best scene in the film!

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:16 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I laughed a ton. So I really enjoyed it.

But I agree with TDS. There wasn't really a conflict in this? Besides a constant chase. There wasn't REALLY a villain. And Ghost's motivation was not thought through. She was very cool, though.

It was peak Marvel. No stakes, fun as crap, likable cast.

A-/B+?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:22 pm
Forum General

Yeah it's not bad, but it's easily one of the most forgettable films in the MCU IMO. Outside of that post credit scene I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to watch this again, especially if your one of those people who enjoys re watching all the MCU movies before The Avengers films come out. To each their own I guess, but if just feels pointless for some reason and while I don't mind these movies being more comedic they still could have at least done something that made it a little more interesting. Paul Rudd and Evangeline Lilly are fine and I like the fact that they gave Michael Douglas a bit more to do this time around, but Walton Goggins and Hannah John-Kamen are pretty weak one note villains if you even want to call them villains, Laurence Fishburne is just sort of there and worst of all Michelle Pfeiffer is criminally underused. I will say though that the stuff with Pena still got some laughs out of me even though I am starting to get tired of it, and when there was action it is pretty fun and creative with the use of the growing/shrinking powers, but it felt like there wasn't much action at all honesty. The daughter is also really cute and likable and her relationship with Rudd does add some nice charm to the movie.

C+

Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:46 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I had a fun time and I didn't judge the movie based on its connection to Avengers which is why I feel I enjoyed it more. It was never meant to give hints or answers for the next Avengers, three friends who watched this with me were disappointed because of this. There a lot more failed attempts this time in comedy but overall its still a comedy movie. The action is very good but the villains aren't but that's expected by now from MCU. I liked the final chase act specially when Rudd goes HUGE both at sea and with a truck. The cast is great here which makes it a shame because with better villains this would have been a great movie, though I guess they couldn't go BIG with IW happening in parallel. Oh and most of the stuffs in IW happens either in space OR in Wakanda which is pretty much not known to regular world so Ant-Man could easily be doing his thing in the mean time.

6/10

Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:21 am
The Kramer

The ads for the home release include a new Evangeline Lilly voiceover:

“We unleashed something terrible. We call her The Ghost and she could destroy the world.”

I guess the small stakes did bother people. :funny: I still love how family focused it is.

Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:27 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

It feels very condensed and light, and you know what after Infinity War its whats needed. Nothing about this movie has impact, but I wasn't looking for that. I was looking for a silly throwaway film and I got it.

So yea if you want a superhero movie that feels like its from 2002 then its oddly appealling.

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:09 pm
Hold the door!

I really liked the first Ant-Man, but this was disappointing. It was never quite boring, but never too engaging. The action sequences and visual effects were more creative in the first film. And the characters and story just weren’t as enjoyable this time around.

B-

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:47 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

In comparison to the first Ant-Man its a let down because similar to Guardians this trades story for cheap comedy and the central conflict with the Ghost is not at all compelling. I somehow didn't like the graphics this time as well.

Tue May 19, 2020 5:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]