Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The First Purge 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

The First Purge 
Keeping it Light

Post The First Purge

Quote:
The First Purge is a 2018 American dystopian action horror film directed by Gerard McMurray. The fourth installment in The Purge franchise, the film is a prequel depicting the origins of the first annual "Purge", a 12-hour period in which all crime in America is legal. It is the first film in the series not to be directed by series creator James DeMonaco, who wrote the screenplay and served as a producer for The First Purge. The film stars Y'Lan Noel, Lex Scott Davis, Joivan Wade, Luna Lauren Velez, and Marisa Tomei.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:52 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: The First Purge
This is my favorite Purge movie to date. Which is not enormous praise in and of itself because I only gave the second film a positive grade...but this absolutely riveted me.

The franchise's expected elements—the dread-inducing countdown to the Purge's commencement, the macabre and theatrical disguises, the John Carpenter-indebted nocturnal urban chaos—are handled quite well, and the underlying sociopolitical rage is more pointedly woven into the story than in any previous entry. There are moments of disturbing-hilarious-they-went-there provocation, and they do not feel unearned in our current climate.

It is stylish and taut throughout. And the third act's action, the inevitable final push for survival, is incredibly, unexpectedly rousing. What a find Y'lan Noel is...he seems to me an instant action star. He almost recalls vintage Bruce Willis as he wearily-but-brazenly punches and shoots his way through a building of enemies.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:01 am
Superman: The Movie

Fire

It CAN’T travel through wooden closet doors.

It CAN turn night into day in a second.

(I know they blocked the windows, but the scene started at night, couldn’t have lasted for more than 45 minutes in real time, and now it’s bright, though cloudy.)

And after the events of this film, where’s the logic that the government would turn around and do another one a year later? I guess they didn’t want to look like failures? Also, according to the first Purge movie the first Purge started in 2014. These movies might have a continuity problem. Election Year supposedly takes place in 2032. :funny:

Wait, hold that thought. I’m sitting here writing this during the end credits and they were just interrupted by a TV commercial? This movie has a TV commercial in it. I know people get annoyed by Marvel-like credits scenes, but this is a new low. A Purge TV series! This concept hasn’t been milked enough? We got to drag it over to USA? Where characters are welcome!?!

Okay, I’ve come to the conclusion that these movies aren’t for me. The closest we’ve got to resembling anything decent was the second film. The rest of them have tried my patience to put it mildly, and it’s a shame because the original idea if executed properly could’ve made for an intriguing film. Or at least a fun sleazy one. Instead the original was a bore and the last two haven’t strayed far enough from the second one to do anything of note.

I think these movies are supposed to be cathartic or enlightening in some way. For me, they’re not. They’re obvious and cloying.

The only positive thing I can say about this or any other Purge film is that it’s allowed Jason Blum and Blumhouse to branch out and make whatever they want. If this leads to more Get Out’s or Halloween’s (please be good...also, the poster for the new one was up in the kid’s bedroom even though this takes place in 2014), then maybe it’ll be worth it.

*If Y’Ian Noel isn’t in a proper action movie after this then Hollywood is doing something wrong.

*Marisa Tomei and her character are unbelievably wasted. Her character was ripe to just chew away the scenery with villainy being the architect and all. Instead her second-in-command gets those lines and she’s unceremoniously killed off on a security camera.

D

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

THE FIRST PURGE

I almost didn't want to see this due to politics but I'm glad I did. I actually enjoy the Purge films. The first was definitely the best and this one I would put as the second best. I loved learning about the origin of the Purge experiment. The cast was okay but Y'lan Noel as Dimitri was the standout. I really liked his presence in this film and the heart and determination his character brought. I thought the family was okay and well acted too. I was rooting for their survival during the film's fight in the apartment building. I was left with a couple things to wonder here. Since this all started on Staten Island and a few folks knew how rigged this was where is all the conspiracy talk or hints about this in the previous films. Is there any mention of this rigged game at least in the beginning. I don't think later purges still utilized these fake gangs but that was interesting to me. I'd like a sequel years later with Dimitri trying to expose the origins of this.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:36 am
Wallflower

I thought this was the worst Purge. The comic relief female friend was so fucking cringey. Especially during the finale.

6/10 (C+)

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:49 pm
Forum General

Eh these movies are really just more of the same to me now. This one being no different, although the more urban approach is interesting and for the most part I wasn't bored. I honestly think the tv show on USA is the best representation of this concept, and it so far above any of these movies IMO. I don't know maybe its because I'm just not the biggest fan of this franchise, but it feels like so many missed opportunities. I can see the lead guy played by Y'Lan Noel having a solid career in action films though, because the dude definitely has a presence even though it doesn't make any sense how this gangster/drug dealer is able to take on fully trained mercenaries, but I guess were not suppose to think about it.

C+

Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]