Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Uncle Drew 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

Uncle Drew 
Keeping it Light

Post Uncle Drew

Quote:
Uncle Drew is a 2018 American sports comedy film directed by Charles Stone III and written by Jay Longino. It stars Kyrie Irving as the title character from his Pepsi Max advertisements that started in 2012, along with former NBA players Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Webber, Reggie Miller, and Nate Robinson, as well as former WNBA player Lisa Leslie; Lil Rel Howery, Tiffany Haddish, Erica Ash, J. B. Smoove, Mike Epps, and Nick Kroll also star. The film was released in the United States on June 29, 2018.

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:46 am
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Uncle Drew
Not bad for a film made by Pepsi.

As a movie, does it completely work? Not really. The movie’s called Uncle Drew yet the story is barely about him. A quick “30 for 30” segment that opens the film gives us the tiniest bit of backstory, but you’ll be distracted by all of the former NBA player cameos to pay any attention to it. Where has he been for 50 years? Shouldn’t the redemption story be about him? The redemption story we actually get is just fine because Lil Rel Howery is great to put a constant smile on your face, but if a tiny bit of thought had been put into the story outside of a Blues Brothers getting the band back together rip, this could’ve been something pretty good.

I’m also slightly annoyed that we don’t get enough of an underdog feeling. The old geezers are great (somehow...must be the Pepsi) but we all get the gag. They should be putting on a clinic against the early teams in the tournament. Outside of a couple of awesome moves, they’re mostly just playing normal basketball. I didn’t pay Moviepass $9.99 so I could see this movie and watch a bunch of former players (and Kyrie Irving) play normal basketball.

But gosh darn it. The movie is charming. If you don’t have a smile on your face throughout this thing, you might not have cheeks. Nick Kroll is amazing and you can’t really think too hard about the plot when you’ve got Reggie Miller in goggles missing every 3-pointer in sight. And we all know Shaq had the ability to act even if the movies let him down, but so can Reggie Miller. Their skill wasn’t the only reason they became superstars. It was also their charisma, and it’s on full display here. And while I hope Kyrie Irving never leaves the Celtics (unless it leads to making the team better) he could have some sort of acting career if he wanted. While I wouldn’t call him great, he’s effective enough. Kind of like the movie itself. Charisma goes a long way.

*Sidenote - As a Celtics fan the opening infuriated me (not really). They showed clips from Michael Jordan’s 63-point breakout game against the Celtics back in 1986. They made it seem like that not only the Bulls won but that the Celtics fans stood and adored him. The Bulls lost that game and the Celtics fans sure as hell didn’t give him a standing ovation. Nice try movie!

C+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:47 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Post Re: Uncle Drew
The story is by the numbers. There are familiar plot elements (rivalry, underdog, road trip to re-unite an old team, estranged friends settling an old score, ballgame showdown). The formula is old but is also tried-and-true. This, plus energetic performances from Lil Rel Howery, Tiffany Haddish, Nick Kroll, and the basketball stars make the sports comedy work.

65/100

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:33 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]