Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Sicario: Day of the Soldado 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Sicario: Day of the Soldado 
Keeping it Light

Post Sicario: Day of the Soldado

Quote:
Sicario: Day of the Soldado (released outside North America as Sicario 2: Soldado) is a 2018 American action crime thriller film directed by Stefano Sollima and written by Taylor Sheridan. The sequel to the 2015 film Sicario, the film stars Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin, who reprise their roles from the first movie along with Isabela Moner, Jeffrey Donovan, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo and Catherine Keener. The plot follows the drug war at the U.S.-Mexico border as it has escalated to the point where the cartels have begun transporting terrorists, forcing the CIA to team up with ex-hitman Alejandro Gillick.

Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:44 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Sicario: Day of the Soldado
A sensational sequel, I thought. On par with its predecessor. It maintains the same level of suspense and technical excellence; the action sequences are as elegantly shot as they are brutal and realistic. And there is once again an overarching, inescapable air of anxiety and menace; the film is aided here by a tightly wound score by Icelandic cellist Hildur Guðnadóttir, a frequent collaborator of the late Jóhann Jóhannsson, who composed the music for the first film. Emily Blunt is absent as the naïve outside slash audience surrogate, but Benicio Del Toro's enigmatic and icy antihero Alejandro was the first film's most magnetic and memorable element in the first place, and he proves a riveting protagonist. Building a franchise around this character (a type of war-on-drugs Jason Bourne) seemed unexpected, even improbable, when the first film opened to relatively modest box office typical of a grim drama aimed squarely at an adult audience, but it turns out to be an ingenious idea, and I hope to see another sequel.

My only complaints of any significance: I thought the story of the cartel leader's daughter deserved a more concrete conclusion, and Catherine Keener's role is a tad bland relative to her abilities.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:19 am
Superman: The Movie

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I can’t even...

But I kind of admire it? Admire is maybe not the right word. Appreciate? The movie is so self-serious. Then it isn’t. Not many movies would try to pull off what this movie does in the final ten minutes with a straight face, so to speak. ;)

“Do you want to be a Sicario? Let’s start by aiming just a little bit higher next time.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Eh, you are trying far too hard. There is no unintentional comedy to him being shot in the mouth. And the shot of him wearily, halfheartedly throwing the grenade into the other car is a sensational action beat.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:19 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Good film and it doesn't flinch from its brutal fatalism.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

David wrote:
Eh, you are trying far too hard. There is no unintentional comedy to him being shot in the mouth.

For you. I wasn’t the only member of my (packed) audience to laugh. Yet I think I’m on the side of it being a good moment.

Quote:
And the shot of him wearily, halfheartedly throwing the grenade into the other car is a sensational action beat.

Agreed. There’s a lot of good moments in the movie. They just didn’t coalesce into anything of significance.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:11 am
Profile WWW
now we know

This is hands down my favourite film of the year. I think I even prefer it to the first. Obviously I cannot wait for part trois. It is a full-on, brutal, no bullshit action thriller FOR MEN. This is why I watch films...to find these treasures. I only wish I saw it on a cinema screen. And in the middle of the film there is even a beautiful and poignant signing scene. I almost teared up. I was not prepared for the contrast of hard-as-nails machismo to the softer side. And the film ends superbly, setting up a third film, and thank fuck Alejandro lives. I was doing exactly what Brolin was doing in the helicopter - I was speechless just waiting for him to show signs of life. Best performance I've seen so far this year. A+

Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was brilliant in parts but then there are some parts that go on for far too long. The action scenes are all great but other than the last 30 minutes the tension is not as big as the first movie. I still love it but the story is definitely weaker this time around. I am happy that Alejandro lives in the end and gets his revenge.

6/10

Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:49 am
Forum General

I really enjoyed this aswell. If the last ten minutes were stronger I'd even go as far as saying that I liked it more than the original, but that ending was weak sauce IMO. Even with Denis Villeneuve not at the helm this time around I still found this film to be just as masterfully crafted as the original in terms of direction, cinematography and the score. The first hour of this movie is tense as hell, and when the violence hits it's definitely brutal. The action sequences are very well shot and I love the fact that Brolin and Del Toro were the leads. Both are equally fantastic here, especially Del Toro who is as badass as ever as Alejandro and I'd be so down for a spinoff franchise focusing on that character.

B+

Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:28 am
Keeping it Light

Despite the lame title, and change of director this turned out to be a pretty cool sequel. It does miss the stylistic hand of Villeneuve and Deakins to lack the same kind of immersion of the first film. But Blunt is not missed, and Brolin and Del Toro, constants from the first, are strong in more leading roles in an interesting and action filled episode of cartel/ border escalations. The action is brutal and it's great to be in the thick of it when explosions go off and bullets are fired. I wasn't all too clear about some parts of the story line; it seems they were driving from Texas into the Mexican border, just to need to ride out of it again back into Texas, seemed a bit strange; and the function of the young kid needing to drive the bus and guide immigrants to the creek I didn't really get either. But that aside, Brolin and Del Toro are both just great in every scene, from Brolin's cockiness to Del Toro stoic "soldado" demeanor, their presence captivates, surrounded by gritty action and suspenseful score. It basically felt like a day at the office with them, which I highly enjoyed it. Would love another sequel.

B+

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:09 am
now we know

Just watched this again and it more than holds up. Why haven't they made a third?

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:19 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]