Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Anything Else 

Rate this film:
A 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Anything Else 
Keeping it Light

Post Anything Else

Quote:
Anything Else is a 2003 American romantic comedy film written and directed by Woody Allen, produced by his sister Letty Aronson, and starring Jason Biggs, Christina Ricci, Allen, Stockard Channing, Danny DeVito, Jimmy Fallon, Erica Leerhsen and KaDee Strickland. The film was shown as the opening night selection at the 60th annual Venice International Film Festival.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:19 am
now we know

It's classic Allen. A tale in New York. A love story to the city of New York. But also about relationships; specifically the struggle of a creative weighed down with all this unneeded fluff, and the subsequent rebuilding with the aid of age. The script is full of such wisdom and inspiration and humour, that most lines (especially the ones uttered by Woody) had me nodding in agreement. I had a great time. The cast is terrific too. Ricci is hot as fuck and nails that carefree bitch always looking for a new lay. Biggs is good, DeVito is good, Allen is terrific. Jimmy Fallon makes an appearance. The guy from Entourage is in it. It's just a really fun film, and totally mis-sold by its film poster. It's wordy and philosophical Allen, not rom-com with Freddie Prinze Jr.

A-

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:25 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Post Re: Anything Else
Also what an excellent word Allen's character uses: "tergiversate". He uses a few others too but this one stuck with me enough to check what it meant afterwards. I love a film that also teaches me something.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:34 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

A very undervalued film, in my opinion. It is often referenced, if referenced at all, as Woody Allen's early-2000s nadir before returning to critical and financial form with Match Point and Vicky Cristina Barcelona. But I rather adore it; it feature a just-right, Allen-specific blend of neurotic humor and romantic melancholy, and I love the subplot involving two comedy writers at opposite ends of their lives and careers. (I once read an insane-but-amusing Internet theory positing the character Allen plays is Jason Biggs' Jerry from the future, a type of Ghost of Christmases Yet to Come aiming to save young Jerry from a life of resentment and regret).

Also: Biggs, though not a world-class actor (and one most remember for having sex with a pie), is a natural Allen surrogate. He snugly fits this role. Other, far grander actors and movie stars, such as Kenneth Branagh and Colin Firth, have seemed much more uncomfortable playing an archetypal Woody Allen protagonist.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:29 pm
now we know

David wrote:
(I once read an insane-but-amusing Internet theory positing the character Allen plays is Jason Biggs' Jerry from the future, a type of Ghost of Christmases Yet to Come aiming to save young Jerry from a life of resentment and regret).

I was thinking this the whole way through the film. I thought it was leading up to that exact reveal, but it never happened.

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:23 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]