Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Ocean's 8 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

Ocean's 8 
Keeping it Light

Post Ocean's 8

Quote:
Ocean's 8 is a 2018 American heist comedy film directed by Gary Ross and written by Ross and Olivia Milch. The film is a spin-off from Steven Soderbergh's Ocean's trilogy and features an ensemble cast, including Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kaling, Sarah Paulson, Awkwafina, Rihanna, and Helena Bonham Carter. The plot follows a group of women, led by the estranged sister of Danny Ocean, who plan on robbing the Met Gala.

Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:48 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Ocean's 8
Delivers exactly what you'd expect and is a fun summer popcorn movie through and through. The entire cast is great, but Anne Hathaway and Helena Bonham Carter steal the show. Excited for the next installment. B+

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:49 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

A modestly diverting comic heist film, though definitely the worst Ocean's film (registering well below Eleven and Twelve and a hair below Thirteen). The most deeply felt absence is Steven Soderbergh's; he is one of modern cinema's greatest stylists and technicians, and he staged almost every set piece in the original trilogy (remember Vincent Cassel's dance through the laser sensors?) with such editorial precision and pop-art visual panache. Gary Ross, he of Seabiscuit and Hunger Games fame, is a capable-but-pedestrian replacement, and he cannot conjure the same too-cool-for-school electricity despite a few halfhearted split-screen effects. What compensates for the dearth of visual interest, and the fact the central heist is never particularly suspenseful, is the charisma of the cast. Best are Cate Blanchett (fashionably laconic in the rough equivalent of Brad Pitt's role), Helena Bonham Carter (playing an over-the-hill, Gothic-influenced Irish fashion designer and at times quasi-satirizing her own public image), and Anne Hathaway (who seems be to enjoying herself more than usual as a bored and vain actress who becomes an unwitting participant in the criminals' plot). Worst, honestly, might be Sandra Bullock. She is a rather tedious and vacant ringleader as the titular Debbie Ocean, the similarly larcenous sister of the late Danny Ocean...yes, turns out he unceremoniously died between Thirteen and Eight, and there is no delightful George Clooney cameo at the end revealing the death was a ruse.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Fun with no substance or real tension

Like a B

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:53 am
now we know

Aren't grades cool anymore?

Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Even though I modestly enjoyed this film as far as it goes, I am still slightly fascinated/mystified by this idea of empowering women (?) by very self-consciously retooling previously male-driven franchises with all-female casts. It feels inadvertently retrograde and condescending, as if a chiefly female cast needs to be tethered to a concept already tested by a male star.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:36 am
now we know

Women cannot build franchises on their own, so the only way is to cling on to franchises that men have already run into the ground, and then get PR onto it to brand it as women saving the franchise. lol

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:54 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I really liked Anne Hathaway. The rest? Not as much.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:14 am
Superman: The Movie

It’s fun. Anne Hathaway has never been better. I only wish the movie went all in on Debbie and Lou’s lesbian shenanigans (they probably don’t exist... :( ) and even though I know the movie is about women and women succeeding, and women succeeding while also fucking over men who fucked them by putting them in prision in the first place, I can’t help but feel that audiences would’ve gone nuts if in the last shot we saw a shadow behind Debbie and a voice say, “I am proud”, or “Hello Debby” (I think her last line was, “You would’ve been proud.” if I’m remembering correctly). Throw Clooney in there (even just his voice), set up “9”, crowd goes home smiling. At least it still works as is though.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:19 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Making Lou and Debby lesbian lovers, even if just for a scene, would be more character building than either got inthe rest of the movie.

One scene that really bugged me was Awkwafina explaining Tinder to Mindy. Now I know she doesn’t play the same character in everything, but every other character she has played in her career would not only know about Tinder, but already be over it and on to Bumble. Why not have Lou in that scene?

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:02 pm
now we know

Ugh, this movie. It's just a Soderbergh imitation, and a bad one at that. It's an Ocean's 11 copy featuring an ensemble of over-the-hill actresses plastered with too much foundation and too much blusher, all led by an off-putting and smug Sandra Botox and Krusty Blanchett. Against the filmmaker's intention, James Corden is actually the highlight, and if they intend to continue this misandrist branch of the Ocean's universe, they should definitely recruit him as their number 3. Anne Hathaway is actually lovely and delightful in a playful role. The dual profile shot where Corden is interrogating her after the heist, she looks like absolute perfection. But the rest of the crew are simply imitating their male counterparts, and the film is so weak that it doesn't go ten minutes without mentioning that Danny Ocean is dead or including a member of the original male franchise. And so to the robbery ... all I can say is that Botox's opening makeup/perfume theft was a much more interesting endeavor than the elaborate but flawed jewellery heist.

D+

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:54 am
Profile WWW
now we know

The dual profile shot where Corden is interrogating her after the heist, she looks like absolute perfection.

This, ICYMI.

Spoiler: show

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

After finishing watching Ocean's 8 it becomes understandable why they didn't make a fourth film earlier, they never had a proper script and it appeared they still didn't once this was getting made. The plot isn't creative and often dumb. There's just too many of the one convenience after the other to have our protagonist get unscathed through every turn, when being constantly re-assured how smart and figured out they have everything. But instead, a lot of the writing either doesn't make sense or is incomplete in it's explanations of how or why things happen. There's never any tension, and it just feels like a lazily made copy or remake of Soderbergh's Ocean's that makes it pointless to have Ross in the director's chair (who's Seabiscuit and Hunger Games I enjoyed quite a bit). Maybe Soderbergh would have been able to added the need sensibilities and pizzaz to this, because all it's able to do know is lean on it's pretty impressively pedigreed cast. While each of them are fine individually, and especially I always enjoy seeing Blanchett on screen, the chemistry never feels there. Things like, Hathaway runs into the bathroom with the necklace on, but comes out without it (being only unable to get unlocked with a rather special magnet, already being remarkable), only to be found later in a fountain at a completely different, and this never being raised as a question is bringing the film down. A positive is the entrance of Corden who with some well written lines brings some fun investigating to the film. While I think the film had good intentions, it just comes across as incompetently dull.

D

Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:37 am
Hold the door!

This was so disappointing. Really dull and absolutely lifeless.

D+

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:08 pm
Defeats all expectations

This heist movie is pleasant and moderately engaging with a smooth flow. It fits perfectly into the mold of popcorn entertainment with little ambition. It is a simple story made unnecessarily complicated (like some other Ocean films). But the elaborate planning of the heist is interesting to watch.

71/100

Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:02 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I heist is good with a decent flow and the girls all do great. I wish they would have gotten back Julia Roberts for this but Sandra Bullock was a great choice. Also love the fact that this is smaller in scale. The planning for the heist is great. I like this one better than #2 but not close to the original.

Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]