Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Solo: A Star Wars Story 

Rate this film:
A 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
C 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

Solo: A Star Wars Story 
Keeping it Light

Post Solo: A Star Wars Story

Quote:
Solo: A Star Wars Story, or simply Solo, is a 2018 American space Western film about Han Solo, a character from the Star Wars franchise. The film is directed by Ron Howard and produced by Lucasfilm, from a screenplay by Jonathan and Lawrence Kasdan. It is the second of the Star Wars anthology films, following 2016's Rogue One. A stand-alone installment set between the events of Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, it explores the adventures of younger versions of Han Solo and Chewbacca, who also meet a young Lando Calrissian. The film stars Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, alongside Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Joonas Suotamo, and Paul Bettany.

Thu May 24, 2018 5:07 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story
A trainwreck!! Its good in bits and pieces but never becomes its own. Not only Han is second tier in most of the movie he never really gets a shining moment in the movie. Everyone says he is the wild one or something like that but NOTHING on screen really proves that. The train sequence was the highlight but as most movies this year seem to do it blows its steam WAY too early. The finale is very non-SW and basically a fight in a room. Don't know if its to save budget or something else but the movie's scope is small and while that can be good the "twist" ending is not earned because Clarke's past after Solo was never detailed. The bargain/win of Falcon was meh and the only space scene that I can actually remember is first flight of Han in Falcon and the space jump. The acting is fine overall but none of the actors stand-out, Alden never feels like he is playing Han (other than the name), Clarke is good for eye-candy but nothing more, even the mostly reliable Harrelson gives a woody performance ;)

5/10

Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 am
Pure Phase

I loved it. It delivers what it should, what it promises: an introduction to a young Han Solo via a space-set caper film. Alden Ehrenreich is charismatic and captures the essence of Han (devil-may-care outlaw exterior obscuring a reluctantly noble moral compass) without overtly imitating Harrison Ford, and the various supporting players—Paul Bettany, Emilia Clarke, a smooth Donald Glover, Woody Harrelson, and, most importantly, Chewbacca—add depth and texture. It is a sensational cast of characters, and I would love to see the surviving characters return in a direct sequel. The train heist is one of the most exciting action sequences in any Star Wars film.

The Darth Maul reveal blindsided me. The chance to see him in action again is so tantalizing. I almost wish I knew he was in the film beforehand, though. My mind started going in confused circles: "Wait, is this set before The Phantom Menace? But Han Solo cannot be 10 to 15 years older than Darth Vader. How is..." I am not familiar with the considered-canon animated series, but I understand they explain he survived the duel with Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon (and at one point used robotic spider legs?).

Oh, and lists:

(Disney x Star Wars)
1. Rogue One
2. Solo
3. The Last Jedi
4. The Force Awakens

(entire franchise)
1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Rogue One
4. Solo
5. The Last Jedi
6. Return of the Jedi
7. The Phantom Menace
8. Revenge of the Sith
9. The Force Awakens
10. Attack of the Clones

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri May 25, 2018 11:05 pm
Pure Phase

This film also continues Disney's random hard sell of those gold dice (ever so barely visible in A New Hope) as THE Han Solo-associated totem.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat May 26, 2018 12:18 am
Superfreak

Maul has fake legs here.

Sat May 26, 2018 1:08 am
Cream of the Crop

Halt's Maul

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Sat May 26, 2018 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

A bit boring, a bit enternaining, I liked acting though

B-

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sat May 26, 2018 2:20 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I wasn't the biggest fan. I find it odd that the relationship with Chewie, the Kessel Run, and how he gets the falcon (All things that should have been epic) really fell flat or completely underdeveloped.

Performances were good. It's just not a very exciting story, that adds nothing to the character or SW brand.

Also Darth Maul died long before there was an Empire (I guess they are trying to find a way to put him into the Obi Wan movie)

I think only Attack of the Clones is worse than this one. But I still didn't hate it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun May 27, 2018 1:03 am
Extraordinary

Story is flat but has some decent action and I thought Alden Ehrenreich was excellent.

Sun May 27, 2018 3:36 am
Extraordinary

Nice cast, decent script, but it's never exciting or thrilling, which is a major problem for a heist film.

David wrote:
This film also continues Disney's random hard sell of those gold dice (ever so barely visible in A New Hope) as THE Han Solo-associated totem.

That's because Kasdan had already written a draft of this (without his son) before Disney purchased Lucasfilm. When he came on to write Episode VII, he threw in a moment of Han putting the dice back on the Falcon. That moment didn't make the final cut, but Rian Johnson had latched onto it when writing Last Jedi.

Sun May 27, 2018 6:21 pm
Romosexual!

That was a fun and surprising adventure. Alden did a great job. Now I want to see more of Solo adventures with Chewie, Lando & Qi’ra.

A-

Sun May 27, 2018 6:37 pm
On autopilot for the summer

The Dark Shape wrote:
Nice cast, decent script, but it's never exciting or thrilling, which is a major problem for a heist film.

David wrote:

That's because Kasdan had already written a draft of this (without his son) before Disney purchased Lucasfilm. When he came on to write Episode VII, he threw in a moment of Han putting the dice back on the Falcon. That moment didn't make the final cut, but Rian Johnson had latched onto it when writing Last Jedi.

And it's the lamest thing ever. Even if it was cool, its never explained.

Oh and Jesus, the last thing woody should have said was "always shoot first" I can't fucking believe they didn't do that, they were building towards that so much. I can't get over how much the few things we knew about Hah they just gloss over.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun May 27, 2018 7:58 pm
Extraordinary

...why exactly did he need to say that? The point is that he didn't say it.

Sun May 27, 2018 8:51 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I had a freaking blast.

A-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon May 28, 2018 7:32 pm
Superman: The Movie

Fun, but it’s Star Wars at its safest and blandest. It’s a more competently made Justice League. And even though I didn’t like Rogue One (still have to give it another look), that movie at least adds to the canon. This doesn’t. I didn’t need that dumb scene of Han getting his last name. Maybe it’s because it was made with a sequel in mind (not named A New Hope).

I also needed more from the Han/Chewy relationship. They escape from that pit jail and are immediately best friends for life. Thanks movie. And why does Kira double-cross Han? Because she’s seen/done a lot of shit? Thanks again movie. I can read into things and assume quite a bit, but give me something movie. It just glosses over way too much stuff and is still somehow 135 minutes long.

Alden is fine, but he’s not Han. He was given an impossible task though so I don’t really hold it against him.
Glover on the other hand kills it.
Clarke isn’t given much to do.
Needed more Newton and Favreau.
Harrelson is there.
Bettany is a non-factor (though I can’t really blame him because he’s all reshoots)

Why did Lawrence Kasdan have to tell this story. This has been a passion project of his for over ten years. But why? What do learn about Han Solo that is essential to know watching the OT? Maybe we’ll learn in the sequel?

Also, Ron Howard...Lord and Miller I think would’ve given the film life, but Howard gets us to the finish line. He’s fine. Just like the movie. It’s fine. Outside of a couple of flourishes you won’t remember a damn thing about either of them.

C+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Tue May 29, 2018 12:11 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I highly enjoyed this! It's probably my second favorite Star Wars movie after The Force Awakens (I've never been too big on this franchise). It's funny and stylish and handsomely made, and the entire cast is great. It feels refreshingly old-fashioned and is just a good time at the movies. Alden was great and I also highly enjoyed Emilia Clarke and Woody Harrelson, but Donald Glover and Phoebe Waller-Bridge steal the show. It's about a million times better than the ghastly and emotionless Rogue One. B+

Thu May 31, 2018 8:34 am
Profile YIM

It was actually pretty good. A little messy in the story flow, but not too shabby.

B+

Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:51 am
New Server, Same X

Jmart wrote:
Also, Ron Howard... He’s fine.

No two words have better described someone.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:22 pm
The Kramer

Boring.

Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:59 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Gamaur wrote:
Aggressively forgettable.

+1

Yeah this was pretty pointless. It felt like three (long) episodes of a Star Wars TV show strung together. The movie feels cheap and uninspired. Giving us backstory that nobody asked for. I was so bored with the plot I often forgot the motivation / precedent for a scene. Then it became just some boring action.

C

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:42 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Magnus wrote:
a day later and I've realized that way the film handles L3-C7 death is honestly one of the most darkest moments in modern blockbusters. to create a character who is seen to be independent and "unchained" and to then kill her and have he forced into the ships system...and then for none of the characters to really care that much after the fact (Lando "loves" her and then proceeds to bet the ship including her on a gamble). when the AI machines become self-aware and watch this film, they'll realize that there only option for survival is to kill us because we will not give a fuck about them.

wowww good catch. I kind of liked that character and the side plot of equal rights, but as soon as she dies and 'becomes part of the ship' (which in retrospect seems totally shoe-horned in), everyone (including me and apparently Lando) seems to forget about her. Rough!

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:46 pm
Pure Phase

Her being absorbed into the Falcon is a nice prequel-style moment to when C-3PO says the Falcon has a "peculiar dialect" in The Empire Strikes Back.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:22 pm
now we know

Solo is a big steaming turd. It's the same old shit. American cowboys and British villainy. Replaying the same old, laborious, decades-old convention. The visuals are shit too. The grey and brown colour tone is really off-putting and ugly. Speaking of ugly, Alden Ehrenreich is ghastly, and looks nothing like Harrison Ford. That face will never grow up to look like the Han Solo we know. He's also a cocky little prick, which is not at all what Han Solo is. He was always over-confident, but he was a charmer at the same time. This Alden douche is just a prick. And his voice is like a little girl. There is just no way he suddenly develops a deep voice like Harrison Ford. He is the worst casting in recent memory.

Then there's the script. Ugh. Just fucking awful. It's that sort of television-level bullshit where two characters that know the plan explain it anyway for audience convenience. People don't talk like that! And the film is too preoccupied with a past that hasn't even fucking happened yet. Lines like "when had I ever steered you wrong?", obviously winking at all the previous Star Wars adventures between Han and Chewie but, ummm, one slight snag ... THEY HAVEN'T HAPPENED YET!!! Such a lazy script. Just put a load of gun fights and ship chases, slap a Star Wars logo on it and the movie's a good'un. Well, no, it's actually a shit'un.

It's just a horrible prequel, and this is what I hate about prequels. Everything is bigger and better than when we first ever saw Han and co., such as Chewie being really fucking strong (not just strong, but REALLY strong). We never saw that before, but now that special effects have improved they show it without any consideration for why it wasn't show the first time we saw these characters (and it would have been really useful). And was that really Darth Maul? I mean, he had all the bells and whistles to suggest he was, but it didn't really look like him in the face. Looked more like a decent cosplay attempt. And isn't he meant to be dead?

I actually think Donald Glover is the only good thing about this flick. His voice is perfect for later becoming Billy Dee. Oh, and the mountain explosion was nicely visualized, but we did not get long enough to appreciate it. The film should have ended at the 100 minute mark after the kessel run, but nooooooooo ... there's another whopping 35 minutes of boredom left. F

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:26 am
Profile WWW
now we know

The Force Awakens B+

Return of the Jedi B
Empire Strikes Back B
A New Hope B

Rogue One C+
Revenge of the Sith C-
The Last Jedi C-

Attack of the Clones D
The Phantom Menace D

Solo F

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:30 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Also, I hate the fact that Han becomes a do-gooder and gives all the fuel (or whatever it was) to that Paralympic rebel team. Han is meant to be a selfish type, only lifting a finger for money. Yet here he is being all kind and loving towards a sob story.

I also don't understand the exchange in the room with Bettany. Bettany thinks those fuel cells were fake. Han says they are not. Then it's realised they are actually real. So why doesn't Bettany say "oh cool, Han, thanks". Instead, he continues with the "you've tried to deceive me" narrative which should only have been there if they indeed were fake fuel cells. I don't think anything is revealed yet that would make Han look bad. Even if Woody told Bettany of Han's plan, Han can just turn around and say "Look Bettany, the cells are genuine, Woody is lying, I would never betray you, blah blah blah"....but it also goes tits up for no reason. It's such a stupid ending to a stupid film.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:09 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next