Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Revenge (2017) 

Rate this film:
A 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Revenge (2017) 
Keeping it Light

Post Revenge (2017)

Quote:
Revenge is a 2017 French rape and revenge horror film directed and written by Coralie Fargeat. Starring Matilda Lutz, Kevin Janssens, Vincent Colombe and Guillaume Bouchède, it follows a young woman who is assaulted by three married men and left for dead but she returns with revenge on her mind.

Sat May 12, 2018 6:21 am
now we know

This is the first French film I've watched in a long time. Un Prophète really put me off them for a few years. But Coralie Fargeat has crafted a pulsating, graphic, and imposingly shot revenge thriller, with a mesmerizing electronic score and a tour de force performance by Matilda Lutz, who is both stunningly sexy and ferociously vengeful. The gore is exaggerated and ramped up beyond what is humanly possible to lose and still remain alive. Seriously, the lengths to which these characters can still operate with so much of their blood outside of their bodies is amazingly convenient ... but I still just loved it. It adds to the overall aggressive style of the film. Same as Jen's first aid moment in the cave and how she even got off that tree ... but again, I just loved this brand of action with its excessive gore and pulp violence. And the film does not put a foot wrong. Cinematography is gorgeous and frenetic when it needs to be, and the film culminates in a manic and fatal chase.

A

Sun May 13, 2018 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Revenge (2017)
This was a pretty awesome film. I loved how ridiculous the gore got a points, and there were definitely a few moments of violence that made me cringe. I got give the lead actress major props because while it was obvious to me from the start that she isn't the best actress as far as delivering lines she still gave one hell of a physical performance, and I liked the fact the she doesn't talk much afterwards either. The villains are what really steal the show here IMO, especially the guys who played Richard and Stan. This felt so much like the French horror films I use to really enjoy some years ago, but with a pulsating, 80's synth score which was a nice touch. I hope to see this director do more in the future.

B+

Sun May 13, 2018 1:39 pm
now we know

Dil wrote:
there were definitely a few moments of violence that made me cringe.

Yeah, especially the part where Stan gets glass in his foot. :grrr:

Sun May 13, 2018 7:10 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

The trailer was weirs but good though the above reviews sound very promising. I'll check it out as it releases on June 1st here.

Sun May 13, 2018 9:43 pm
now we know

Looking forward to your 7/10 review. ;)

Mon May 14, 2018 12:33 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Algren wrote:
Looking forward to your 7/10 review. ;)

It could be 6 :P

Mon May 14, 2018 2:23 am
now we know

Ok, then I'm not looking forward to it.

Mon May 14, 2018 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I was really excited for this because I love revenge stories and great girl power movies but I found this to be kind of meh. It was a fine film, don't get me wrong but the lead actress was pretty bad. I never felt much for her character (besides getting raped since that's not cool) but her revenge just didn't seemed earned to me. I didn't cheer her on because I thought she was pretty unlikable from the get go.

It was decent for sure, just a bit disappointing. It's well made and is definitely worth watching but I honestly enjoy the remake of "I Spit on Your Grave" quite a bit more than this.

B-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu May 17, 2018 3:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

This is an awesome, stylish film. Coralie Fargeat has made one hell of a debut. There are some really stunning shots in this. One involving an ant will surely end up one of the best of the year. The cinematography is gorgeous. Speaking of gorgeous Matilda Lutz is a beauty. I wish her performance was a little better in the beginning but once the physical demand of the role comes into play she's great and really fun to watch. She makes Jen a total bad-ass. Really loved the synth score too.

The film is not without some flaws though. On a technical level it's perfect. But I do think some of the dialogue in the beginning was clunky and awkward. Eliciting the most cringe from me was when one of the guys comments on Jen's "peachy ass," referring to it as being like "an alien from another planet." Also, while plenty bloody, I kind of wish the kills had been more creative. The film also drags somewhat in the middle, with scenes of characters doing nothing for far too long. This didn't bother me so much the first time around but I can see it getting a little dull during the many repeat viewings I plan to have of the film. But honestly these are minor complaints. I loved this movie. The top-notch filmmaking make the rape-revenge movie feel fresh again. I will be completely shocked if this film doesn't earn Coralie Fargeat the chance to direct a bigger budget mainstream film. It will be very well-deserved.

9/10 (A-)

Thu May 17, 2018 11:10 pm
now we know

Pretty normal for French slime balls to have clunky and awkward English.

But glad you loved it.

Thu May 17, 2018 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This is as great as advertised by other posters above. The film is a wild ride of carnage taking place in a superbly shot deserted environment. I really like these small cast/ set-up films when they're done right and this excels at it. The cinematography and score are excellent and they make the basic plot very engaging. The screenplay is executed in the kind of pulpy way that make this quite a unique experience and me an instant fan of the director. It's well cast too.

A-

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:47 am
Keeping it Light

Jack Sparrow wrote:
The trailer was weirs but good though the above reviews sound very promising. I'll check it out as it releases on June 1st here.

So Sparrow, how about that?

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:47 am
Keeping it Light

2018 revenge films ranking

1. Revenge
2. Upgrade
3. The Equalizer 2
4. Death Wish
5. Peppermint

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:56 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

stuffp wrote:
Jack Sparrow wrote:

So Sparrow, how about that?

I did and loved the craziness in it but not as much as the reviews are suggesting.

6/10

Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]