Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Overboard 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 2

Overboard 
Keeping it Light

Post Overboard

Quote:
Overboard is a 2018 American romantic comedy film directed by Rob Greenberg, written by Greenberg, Bob Fisher and Leslie Dixon and starring Eugenio Derbez, Anna Faris, Eva Longoria, John Hannah and Swoosie Kurtz. A remake of the 1987 film of the same name, the plot follows a working class single mother who convinces a playboy with amnesia that they are a married couple. The film was released in the United States on May 4, 2018.

Sun May 06, 2018 2:00 am

Post Re: Overboard
I mean...I enjoyed it, but it was cheesy as all get out.

Like a B-?

Mon May 07, 2018 10:38 pm
Superman: The Movie

It's the damndest thing. It's almost a good movie. I had a smile on my face throughout. There are two glaring problems though. First, It's not in any way shape or form funny. I'd say a good 80% of the jokes fall flat. It's a comedy. That's a problem. Second, Derbez and Faris have absolutely no sexual chemistry. All of the scenes they have together prior to the two of them falling in love where he has to support and provide for the family are cute and they do have a cute "buddy-buddy" like chemistry. When the makes the leap where the two are supposed to be in love, it doesn't work. There's just nothing there. I got more out of a brief interaction between Longoria and Derbez (that's not supposed to be in any way sexual) than I did between Derbez and Faris. It also doesn't help that the movie has no sense of time. This could all be happening in a week or over the course of six months. We never know.

I liked the telenovela vibe. I was thinking before the movie that why didn't they just stick Chris Pratt in there while he and Faris were still together (assuming he had the time between Avengers and Jurassic World 2), but I'm glad they didn't go that route. That would've been incredibly boring. The telenovela aspect gives the film life that it otherwise wouldn't have had. Also, credit to the film for a third of the dialog (at least) being in Spanish. There was at least an attempt here to try and be different. But again, the film is a romantic comedy and it's not romantic or funny. Yet the movie is still kind of charming. It's the perfect TBS movie.

C

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu May 10, 2018 11:33 am
Profile WWW

Yes. The use of Spanish is the best aspect of this film

Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]