Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 I Feel Pretty 

Rate this film:
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

I Feel Pretty 
Keeping it Light

Post I Feel Pretty

Quote:
I Feel Pretty is a 2018 American comedy film written and directed by Abby Kohn and Marc Silverstein, in their directional debuts. The film stars Amy Schumer, Michelle Williams, Emily Ratajkowski, Rory Scovel, Aidy Bryant, Busy Philipps, Tom Hopper, Naomi Campbell, and Lauren Hutton. The plot follows an insecure woman who, after suffering a head injury, gains extreme self-confidence and believes she is considerably attractive.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:21 pm
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: I Feel Pretty
A trainwreck. Get it? Oh I’m a hoot. And original.

While the main takeaway is a nice one - have confidence - the premise just allows the film to shoot itself in the foot over and over again comedically. First, this type of premise wore out its welcome in 1979. Second, she falls and hits her head. It’s clear some “Big” type of magic hasn’t occurred. It’s played for laughs that she thinks she looks gorgeous. She might have brain damage. So for the rest of the film (until spoiler, she hits her head again) we’re kind of left uneasy about her over-the-top self-confidence. Does this woman actually believe in magic? With a better written premise, a scene like the bikini contest could’ve destroyed. Schumer certainly gives it her all. Instead we’re gawking at the clueless “fat” girl in the bikini contest.

Also, the movie never dares to confront her. She works in the makeup industry for Leclair, first for the website offsite in a basement (where the ugly people go) in Chinatown, but her life goal is to work as the receptionist. This our female lead character’s main aspiration. Never mind that it comes with a pay decrease (Schumer’s character actually says something along the lines of “never mind, isn’t that weird”). You would think at one point while working with the vapid pretty people that she’d be called out for not being one of them, but the closest that ever happens is when Nikki Glaser’s character subtly confronts her, but Schumer just keeps talking and missing all the hints (seriously, is she aloof and thinks actual magic has occurred or should she be in an emergency room?).

Then of course she hits her head again, loses her new found self-confidence, gains it all back lickity split, gives a profound speech (IT’S THE SAME GIRL!), and runs after her boyfriend who was waiting all along for her.

I really don’t think the movie is trying to be mean spirited, but I don’t see how it could be seen any other way. Unless this is some weird fucked up morality tale that just flew over my head, I don’t think my reaction towards the main character is supposed to be sorrowful for 95% of the film.

Also, please more Aidy Bryant and Rory Scovel in things please. And Michelle Williams is a national treasure. This movie is garbage but I’d see a spinoff about her character.

D

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:36 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Jmart wrote:
First, this type of premise wore out its welcome in 1979. Second, she falls and hits her head. It’s clear some “Big” type of magic hasn’t occurred.

This type of premise was still popular not that long ago.

ImageImage

Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:07 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

A pleasant surprise. I enjoyed it a lot - it's sweet and has a really nice message. Amy Schumer is great in it too. But Michelle Williams steals the show and is a comic tour de force here. She was hilarious. B+

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:50 am
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

Algren wrote:
Jmart wrote:
First, this type of premise wore out its welcome in 1979. Second, she falls and hits her head. It’s clear some “Big” type of magic hasn’t occurred.

This type of premise was still popular not that long ago.

I meant in terms of storytelling.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:11 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Was quite fun to see Michelle Williams in this role.

I thought some parts of this were charming, thought the last third kinda fell flat.

Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:48 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its good in parts and pieces but none of them are woven well together to give a satisfying end. The first half is over-the-top confidence and there is no way a normal person would not have realized those clues. The second is a generic rom-com trope which doesn't generate enough substance. Schumer was decent in it but Williams is great here (not LOL funny but she lights up the mood with her voice work here ;)).

4/10

Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:33 am
Extraordinary

I FEEL PRETTY

I enjoyed this film. I thought it was pretty funny and Amy Schumer really sold herself in the role and the story. I liked Michelle Williams character with her look and the voice she used. Ray Sovel was great as the boyfriend. It does become a bit of a downer in the last bit when she loses her confidence but the film wraps up nicely and on a positive note. I'd watch it again and I might actually buy this. I would be for Amy Schumer up for Best Actress in a Comedy at the Globes this year.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:44 am
Wallflower

Really loved it. Amy Schumer has never been better and it's also my favorite film of hers. I found it very funny and inspiring. Great message. Michelle Williams was hilarious playing against type. If this had been Schumer's first film when she was an "it" girl this would have been well-received. But now that it's cool to hate her the reviews are mostly bad.

8/10 (A-)

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:55 pm
now we know

Magic Mike wrote:
But now that it's cool to hate her the reviews are mostly bad.

I don't think anyone criticised it this way here (well done, KJ), but this is a great Maher rant about its critical reception.

Sat May 19, 2018 11:49 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Michelle Williams is pretty great here. Channeling a mix of Gwyneth Paltrow and Leslie Mann. As for the film, the first third had a few instances that had me chuckling, and of course it's always nice to look at Emily Ratajkowski as if she's a museum exhibit. The parable here is that if you be yourself, concentrate on your attitude and not your looks, you can achieve a life that is just as good as beautiful people. Plus a few other things about beauty, but I'm not sure it needed a 110-minute film to say it. I'd like to see Rory Scovel in more things.

C

Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Yeah I loved him in it.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:05 pm
Extraordinary

Just saw Keira Knightly doing the same voice in The Nutcracker.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:38 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

It was enjoyable. Funny enough, but some weird editing choices, and choppy storytelling in the second half.

B-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:24 pm
Keeping it Light

I thought this was OK, the premise is unbelievably dumb, but it comes with a good message that I feel it evens it out. Schumer has a natural ability to be funny, and while it's not as funny as Trainwreck, it's not that much worse either. It's pretty quip and paced well to be a decent in-flight movie option. Michelle Williams was a treat.

B-

Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]