Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Blumhouse's Truth or Dare 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Blumhouse's Truth or Dare 
Pure Phase

Post Blumhouse's Truth or Dare

Quote:
Blumhouse's Truth or Dare, or simply Truth or Dare, is a 2018 American supernatural horror film directed by Jeff Wadlow and written by Michael Reisz, Jillian Jacobs, Chris Roach and Wadlow.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:24 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Blumhouse's Truth or Dare
An agreeable enough teen slasher. Yes, it is on the generic side and would need to be far more stylish, and R rated, to live up to its spiritual forebears/sources of "inspiration" (75 percent Final Destination, 25 percent It Follows), but there is a certain charm to the propulsive simplicity of the plot—every truth-or-dare scenario almost instantly begets another—and the photogenic young cast is decent. It held my attention.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:33 pm
Veteran

David wrote:
An agreeable enough teen slasher. Yes, it is on the generic side and would need to be far more stylish, and R rated, to live up to its spiritual forebears/sources of "inspiration" (75 percent Final Destination, 25 percent It Follows), but there is a certain charm to the propulsive simplicity of the plot—every truth-or-dare scenario almost instantly begets another—and the photogenic young cast is decent. It held my attention.

What grade do you give it?

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

I know I'll probably be alone on this but I found the smiley face actually quite creepy. I don't care what anyone says, the dead guy in the hospital was scary. The problem with this film is everything else. It is so terribly written, and it is acted by a cast of stereotypical pretty people playing morons that I just could not wait for them to die. And this Olivia is one fucked up, topsy-turvy character. She starts out as a philanthropic do-gooder but ends the film sacrificing the entire world just to save her own life. Anyway, Truth or Dare actually reminded me a lot of Scream wannabes like Valentine and Urban Legend in how formulaic and stereotypical the characters were. But it's way worse. Teens die, and pretty much nothing happens. There is no public furore, and the friends are absolutely fine with each death. They even joke with one another afterwards. Like I said, badly scripted and badly acted. But then I didn't watch this for the acting, so...C-

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

This was hilariously bad but entertaining. I enjoyed myself. Definitely felt like a throwback to the Scream knockoff movies of the late '90s. B-

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:17 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Yeah this was definitely more enjoyable than I expected. I thought it was pretty entertaining. B-

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:47 pm
Forum General

There is definitely an audience out there for this, but it's not me unfortunately. It had it's moments although I believe the majority of the best parts were already spoiled in the trailer. Outside of that you are pretty much stuck with a group of unlikable idiots with the exception of the gay Asian guy who I kind of liked, but not enough to save it.

Also, that ending was fucking stupid.

D

Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:50 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Weird there was no backlash against David for putting "Blumhouse" in the thread title similar to when I put "Saban's" in the Power Rangers thread title.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:36 pm
now we know

It is a little bit more warranted here because there are other Truth or Dare films in existence. But I agree, it is also unneeded here. No other site uses "Saban's" or "Blumhouse's". At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter, but feel free to change it back if you haven't already done so.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

No I retired due to popular demand.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:07 pm
now we know

Retired on that issue or retired as mod of the EAC forum?

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:11 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The ending of this film is underrated. The fact the heroine, with her self-proclaimed "greater good" humanitarian interests, more or less unleashes a type of apocalypse upon the world to save herself is interesting and macabre Maybe more interesting than the film knows what to do with.

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:51 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

thompsoncory wrote:
This was hilariously bad but entertaining. I enjoyed myself. Definitely felt like a throwback to the Scream knockoff movies of the late '90s. B-

But not as good. Doesn't hold a candle to say Urban Legend but perhaps is up there with Urban Legend 2, Disturbing Behavior etc

I though this was average and could have been much much better. I watched this after seeing the similar silly Countdown which I enjoyed more.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]