Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Pacific Rim: Uprising 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 73%  73%  [ 8 ]
D 9%  9%  [ 1 ]
F 18%  18%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 11

Pacific Rim: Uprising 
Keeping it Light

Post Pacific Rim: Uprising

Quote:
Pacific Rim: Uprising is a 2018 American science-fiction action film directed by Steven S. DeKnight (in his feature-film directorial debut) and written by DeKnight, Emily Carmichael, Kira Snyder, and T.S. Nowlin. It is the sequel to the 2013 film Pacific Rim by Guillermo del Toro, who acted as a producer here. The film stars John Boyega (also making his producer debut), Scott Eastwood, Cailee Spaeny, Jing Tian, Adria Arjona and Zhang Jin, with Rinko Kikuchi, Charlie Day and Burn Gorman returning from the original film.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:23 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Pacific Rim: Uprising
PACIFIC RIM UPRISING

If anything this film made me like the first one a lot more. There was a sense of actual risk and a major fight and actual death in the first that just doesn't seem to occur here. I think John Boyega does a decent job in the film. Scott Eastwood was bleh. The rest of the cast bleh. This film was actually making me sleepy. The final battle isn't even that amazing either. I did like the fake Mt Fuji. That was cool. I'm not a fan of that comedian (Charlie Day). I just find him quite annoying.

Grade - C

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:52 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Whatever made the first film cool and great this one destroys it completely. It doesn't even try to expand the concepts of the original in any shape or form and even the main characters are added randomly without any introduction. The death is not emotional enough and the "return" of Kaiju is laughable by being a mere script twist with one of the worst sequel setup lines (exactly like ID4-2). Boyega was passable and Eastwood really needs to practice his delivery and take on some serious roles (its very distracting when he is delivering a dialogue feels like he is having a tooth ache or something). Again the best part of last movie Charlie Day and Burn Gorman are both WASTED here. The forced addition of Jing Tian is pretty evident and mostly laughable here. The only thing I liked about this movie was Cailee Spaeny but surprisingly her character isn't given justice it needs to shine in the finale and I LOVED the tiny scrapper.

4/10

Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:37 pm
Pure Phase

Such a dreadful film. I admit, I largely hated the first, too, perhaps in part because it fell so short of the majesty the words "a giant-monster movie directed by Guillermo del Toro" conjured in my mind. But now I want to give it a comforting embrace: "Pacific Rim, breathe a sigh of relief. At least you are not Pacific Rim Uprising." Uprising joins last year's Justice League in illustrating the peril of poorly executed comic relief; this film constantly shoots itself in the knee with wince-inducing, sitcom-caliber one-liners and a general air of juvenile and pandering mischief. The action sequences are chiefly set during the daytime, presumably a course-correcting response to criticisms leveled against its nocturnal and rainy predecessor, but any gain in clarity is squandered by how tedious these scenes of skyscraper-toppling robot-versus-monster mayhem are in every other respect. Oh, no, Sydney is in ruins-- Oh, no, Mt. Fuji-- Oh, no, this could be the end of mankind as we know it-- Yawn. There is not a single moment of genuine tension or apocalyptic spectacle. And with the modestly charismatic and fresh-faced exception of Cailee Spaeny's character, the cast provides no redemption. John Boyega and Scott Eastwood are a study in contrast: the former seems to be exerting himself to the point of exhaustion in a bid to prove what a charismatic leading man he can be, dialing every post-Han Solo, Will Smith-indebted tic to eleven, while the latter appears half asleep, his handsome face frozen into a permanent suspicious squint. Their dearth of chemistry and magnetism borders on the mythic, resulting in a film with no hero to root for. And the "clever" decision to turn Charlie Day's amiably helium-voiced scientist into the sequel's surprise (mind-controlled) antagonist falls flat; Day is simply incapable of being menacing or enigmatic.

F

P. S. There is a vague air of sexism to the subplot involving Eastwood and Boyega arguing over which of them their attractive female colleague wants to sleep with. (SHE GIVES THEM BOTH A KISS BEFORE BATTLE! HOW CONFUSING!)

Oh, and Sparrow is right: it is amusing how this film has the -exact- same sequel tease as Independence Day: Resurgence. It honestly might be word-for-word.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:45 am
now we know

Oh my, this movie is a crock of shit. Where to start? It's almost too difficult to review it. It's shit, and surely it knows it is shit. It exists entirely in its predecessor's already-mediocre shadow. It's not a boring film, but every element is just terrible. The spectacle. The dialogue. The comedy. The action. It's all rushed and is difficult to care about anything that happens. The two Pacific Rim films would fit nicely into that famous "hold my drink" meme.

John Boyega has zero potential at being a leading man. He should give up now. A waste of space, and not even a fraction of the charisma and presence Idris Elba had (and even Elba is just average). Same goes for Eastwood. He will never be his father. Charlie Day is hilariously bad as he navigates his scenes having stereotypical stern-faced Chinese people bark orders at him, then he somehow becomes the villain rooting for the Kaiju. It's weird. And Jing Tian once again does fuck-all in another Legendary blockbuster. She must still be sucking some Chinese CEO's cock to get these gigs. And that ending is laughably bad.

On top of everything, I'm wearing darkening 3D glasses, which just renders the whole experience a slither worse than if in 2D.

D

Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Post Re: Pacific Rim Uprising
I didn't think this was awful, but it definitely wasn't that good either. I do actually still enjoy the first movie, especially the world-building, but they do nothing with that here. At least GDT brought something interesting and creative to the table IMO. This is just the most shallow carbon copy of a Transformers movie that I have ever seen. I really didn't care much for any of the characters even John Boyega who is trying way too hard to be the next Will Smith and it doesn't work. I wish he would just stick to more dramatic roles, because even though the dude is crazy charismatic between this and his character from TFA and TLJ it seems like they just love giving him some of the worst jokes or attempts at humor in the movies.

Charlie Day as the villain was pretty laughable and I don't even mind the dude, but he was so out of his element in that role and how dare they set it up I:DR style with that mid credits stinger lol. The best thing about this movie is easily the action sequences towards the end, but by then it was already too late.

C

Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:13 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Umm this was fine? I thought it was very similar to the most recent Transformers. It had some cool moments I guess? I liked Charlie Day as the villain, but only because it's a twist on his normal characters. But there just isn't much here.

C+?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:37 pm
now we know

I love it when a shitty movie gets bumped and I can read my review again.

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
We had our time together

I liked the first, but Uprising is just one of those big movies I seem to forget everything about a few moments after it's over.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:13 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I watched this on the plane to kill some time, and it's alright for that. It's the typical dumb blockbuster kind of film with thin characters. John Boyega doesn't have a shade on Idris Elba and Eastwood isn't as good as Hunnam either. I like Cailee Speany but the plot is just not worth a sequel and the action while brighter than in the first film is just less inspirational. The Jaeger's itself are still pretty cool and I think it's more average than disaster in the end, we just don't need any more of these.

C-

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:04 am
The Kramer

Very dumb and stupid but I still enjoyed it more than the first for two reasons:

1) zero expectations

2) Boyega > Hunnam

5.5/10

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]