Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ready Player One 

Rate this film:
A 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
B 53%  53%  [ 10 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 19

Ready Player One 
Keeping it Light

Post Ready Player One

Quote:
Ready Player One is a 2018 American science fiction action adventure film produced and directed by Steven Spielberg and written by Zak Penn and Ernest Cline, based on Cline's 2011 novel of the same name. The film stars Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, Ben Mendelsohn, Lena Waithe, Letitia Wright, T.J. Miller, Simon Pegg, and Mark Rylance.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:08 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Ready Player One
A nostalgic, singular, whimsical sugar rush courtesy of Steven Spielberg. A cinematic pinball machine obsessed with the popular culture of the 1980s and '90s, it is a curious film for the most iconic living American director, perhaps only predicted by the most kinetic parts of The Adventures of Tintin. He handles it quite well, however, forging coherent and exciting action sequences from an vast, whirling amount of content and motion. There is a wildly inspired extended set piece involving a certain early-'80s horror movie which put an enormous, almost embarrassing smile on my face. Observing the film from afar, I admit it has a handful of notable issues: Tye Sheridan's protagonist is a bit of a noble bore, for instance, and certain veins of third-act social commentary (don't forget the importance and beauty of reality!) feel perfunctory and unearned. In general, though, this is a blast.

B+

Oh, this film definitely runs afoul of this trope: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ulAllAlong Sweet, understanding Wade is not disappointed AT ALL by Artemis in the real world...maybe because she is incredibly sexy, with the most photogenic strawberry birthmark ever.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 pm
Romosexual!

If they had chose actors that weren’t fucking attractive for the 2 lead roles it could’ve been better payoff but other than that I liked the movie for what it is, a fun cool Spielberg movie :D

A

Now I need to see it couple more times to catch all the characters in the Oasis.
p.s. I read online there wasn’t extra credit scenes :( so I didn’t bother staying till the end.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:09 pm
Forum General

I had a blast watching this. I have a feeling there will be a high amount of repeat viewings among the core audience. Whether it is liked outside of that audience (fans of 80's/90's movies, video games and pop culture) remains to be seen.

9/10

Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
Top Poster

Fun and full of nostalgia. I'll be checking it out again but only for the character cameos and references I missed or just got a glance of. I agree with Rev and David. It would have been better if the leads or anyone in the cast truly needed their avatars in the looks department. How fun would it have been if one of them truly was a 300lb guy in his mom's basement.

B+

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:52 pm

Damn! Magnus brings the hate

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:04 pm
Keeping it Light

This was really good with some great moments in there. It's fun, funny and entertaining, Spielberg in good form. Sheridan and Mendelsohn are well cast, but Cooke and Rylance are the best performers, nice role for Pegg also and I loved Miller as I Rok. It's a well paced film, with nice songs too. An interesting sci-fi story, especially engaging in the first half, but cool references keep coming till the end anyway. It dips a bit in generic block-buster territory here and there, it's not as polished a Spielberg's recent other films, but I'll take this one any time nonetheless.

B+

Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:55 pm
The Kramer

I liked the way they handled the references. Only one had an impact on the story, this is true. But it felt like this was the world these people had been living in, one where you are constantly smacked in the face with pop culture you may or may not recognize. The only real problem with it is that the main characters judge the morality of others by how much of these references they know. “Oh you might not know which 80s teen comedies John Hughes did and didn’t create? You must be evil.” While I did like the book, it felt like some of the references there were just to fill in pages. The movie is never guilty of that in my opinion. It’s mostly just cosmetic stuff that people would spend their real money on.

The biggest difference from the book is also the greatest strength though. Playing the perfect game of Joust isn’t enough to win the key. Movie Farraday makes the characters dive deep into his own psyche beyond all the culture he experienced. All the challenges revolve around the mistakes he regrets, the ones that lead him down such a lonely path, despite all the success. It is almost critical of us too, for choosing to spend our time with this film instead of playing outdoors or whatever. I wish they had explored this more as it adds a ton of depth to the otherwise ordinary heroes journey. Yet the theme doesn’t really get a chance to land, with the characters’ solution being to force people back into reality on certain days of the week. I do like the idea of a proper balance to reality and fiction, but that sure does seem unfair to the people who didn’t just go on an adventure that resulted in getting everything they ever wanted.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:15 pm
The Kramer

Beyond all that it is just a really solid action movie. Beyond Farraday, none of the characters are too deep but they are the exact amount of likeable and hateable that you need. It is also really funny, and you don’t need to understand all the references to get the humor. The nostalgia comes from the style as much as the references.

Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:18 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought this was pretty bad. The pop culture references are so on the nose that it becomes exhausting after a while, and the biggest crime is that the animation sequences are criminally ugly eyesores. I kept wishing it would go back to the live action world instead of the Oasis since it was about a thousand times more appealing. The soundtrack is also hugely obnoxious. Olivia Cooke and Mark Rylance are good though. C

Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:25 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I didn't have much hype for this film, but I also ended up really enjoying it. It's mostly fast paced and entertaining with likable leading characters and serviceable enough villains. Sure there is plenty of pop culture references, and it oozes 80's nostalgia, but it never felt overwhelming IMO. Spielberg can definitely still tap into that sense of wonder when he takes you on these epic adventures. This is easily the most I have had fun with one of his films in a very long time, and I honestly hope he does more movies like this. The man can still craft some insanely creative set pieces.

B+

Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:51 pm
Extraordinary

READY PLAYER ONE

The book is great. Read that/Audible it. This film is pretty good and while making some changes I think I'm content with those changes. Instead of Joust, we get a amazing race sequence. The flipped Wade/Sam getting imprisoned by IOI and that worked. I wasn't too keen on this "rebellion" stuff or that half chase thing at the end but whatever. Olivia Cooke and Sheridan were great as their Avatar selves and I loved the design of both of those characters. Aech not so much but the character itself was funny. Also T J Miller's character was good as well. I loved how he just jumped ship and started running for the exit at that final fight. Ben Mendelson was alright here. It's like how many times does he have to be bad guy for god sakes. Mark Rylance gave a very good heartfelt performance. I was really teary eyed at that end there. Anyway, I also loved the final battle sequence. Again, they kept alot of that in the megazilla, the iron giant, the gundam, the cataclyst and the extra life quarter. The Shining sequence was amazing and I wasn't sure if it was in the book though at the time I told my friends it wasn't and I was right. That incarnation was intense and fun. Finally, a couple things to complain about. The use of the word Fuck. Why on earth was it necessary to insert the line Fucking Chucky into this movie? It's a family film and we get a fucking chucky line no matter how badass that Chucky sequence was it was totally uneccessary to use that word. Second, in the book the emotional impact you get with the reveal of Aech's true identity and the first actual meeting of Samantha and Wade in the flesh when he first hears her true voice is so emotional but I guess something you can only achieve in book form. I guess. I still liked how the film turned out. I've watched it twice and will see it at least one more time, maybe two. It's a very good companion to the book just as Love, Simon was.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:42 am
Extraordinary

Pretty meh overall. Story isn't involving, characters are weak and don't get me started on the "romance", yikes.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:18 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was a breeze to watch but I didn't love the movie. The best parts are the real-life story which isn't given enough justice (like the love story, players meeting in real life and the rebellion at the end etc..) and while the video-game parts are decent they get sort of repetitive and a lot of them depend on 80's pop-culture references but they also feel like mostly script manipulation (like a wormhole appearing for the first clue, the 5 becoming friends, ALL race solutions and the twist etc..). I liked the leads specially Cooke and the supporting cast is great as well.

Spielberg was the right choice for this movie and I would be game if he could find more interesting projects like these. The script though leaves much to be desired which is frustrating because this was a cool concept that can easily connect with millennials as well as adults.

6/10

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:26 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

The movie made me want to read the book and that doesn't happen often. I really want to understand the way book handled some of the concepts like first meet-ups of the Avatar's in the real life, how exactly can Metal Godzilla fail against Kong in the first race?, multiple-reincarnations of Sorrento (or maybe this part is just not explained and its not a great video-game movie).

Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:30 pm
The Kramer

The race isn’t in the book at all. The first challenge is basically just a game of Joust that happens to be hidden on the same planet that Parcivel goes to school on. I don’t remember The Shining part being in there either. I think they recreate War Games instead, which would be a lot less fun on screen.

Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:45 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Ah i c. I am more interested in the book now. Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:40 pm
Killing With Kindness

gotta check this out in the next week or two, one of may favorite books.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:58 am
Profile WWW

After the Magnus bomb, I thought I was due for disappointment, but damn did this capture being a young nerd growing up. Still it is mostly just light hearted fun with a few moments of beauty, but on the level as Hook

A-?

Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:39 am
Indiana Jones IV

I'd be sorely disappointed if none of you live in my town, aren't beautiful and not crazy about that 50s culture.

Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:08 pm
Superman: The Movie

Entertaining, well made, solid action, too much camera movement, too much Oasis, characters aren’t interesting, would’ve liked to have seen more of the real world and how shitty it’s become.

One question though and I had this question going in but decided to wait because I thought the movie might answer it (it didn’t): Why is the world of 2045 nostalgic for 80s pop culture? Shouldn’t they be obsessed over the 2010s? The 70s were obsessed with the 50s. We’re obsessed with the 80s. Is pop culture so bad now that they don’t care in 30 years or was this written by a man-child writing a book for our culture now but not really thinking the plot through?

If this wasn’t Spielberg this could’ve been a disaster. Instead, it’s good if a little forgettable and the movie peaks with The Shining.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Jmart wrote:
One question though and I had this question going in but decided to wait because I thought the movie might answer it (it didn’t): Why is the world of 2045 nostalgic for 80s pop culture? Shouldn’t they be obsessed over the 2010s? The 70s were obsessed with the 50s. We’re obsessed with the 80s. Is pop culture so bad now that they don’t care in 30 years or was this written by a man-child writing a book for our culture now but not really thinking the plot through?

This also crossed my mind as seemingly odd, but then I decided to not think more of it, just because I was enjoying myself with it.

Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:43 am

Magnus defends the film! The knights of BOM have spoken!

Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:00 pm
now we know

I was bored by this film. Spielberg just wasn't able to hook me and reel me in this time. It's an ugly film in many ways too, and I'm generally not a fan of games and virtual reality, but overall I just feel this film should have been made 20 years ago to really have the intended wow factor. In 2018, I'm not impressed by anything I just saw. I actually wanted less Oasis, and more real-life stuff. And the garbage shanty town called The Stacks feels like a rip-off of so many other living quarters in dystopian science-fiction flicks. Sheridan isn't a very charismatic protagonist and Ben Mendelsohn isn't at all menacing as the villain. It'll take a lot more than some pop references to entertain me. Although I did like The Shining sequence, and I spotted a 1995 Judge Dredd lawgiver being used by Art3mis during the nightclub mid-air dance, which I thought was cool. But overall the film is just a big two hours of noise and purple-glowing lights. And then it ends with some pathetic old-man Spielberg wisdom in the form of "play less games", for the parents to nod along in agreement. Meh.

"Ready Player One Big Fail" for me.

C-

Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:22 am
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

It's mildly fun, but also very empty. I wanted to see more from the real world than the OASIS, which as rendered in this day & age, simply seemed like an overload of CGI noise. This presents a problem for the real world drama too: when IOI blew up Wade's stack (and killed his aunt), it was just another shot of CGI smash, conveying very little emotion. To further this disconnect, the next few scenes with Wade getting kidnapped by the Resistance and meeting Art3mis in real life, no tears are shed whatsoever, the whole "they killed my aunt" thing doesn't even register until 30 minutes later when he tells the bad guy, "You killed my mom's sister." Mega fail in translating the significance of: these guys aren't just internet baddies, they'll fucking kill you and your fam. Totally, tonally flat. Wade doesn't seem to give a fuck because he just met a hottie and her underground rebel fighters.

The *gee-whiz* nerdist glee of the book doesn't translate well to screen. And the romance was terrible. Any credibility gained from Wade's "I don't care what you look like" evaporates when presented with the real life Art3mis, who is obviously very attractive. "I found love!" okay....

It's a lot of noise and spectacle signifying nothing.

C+

Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next