Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 A Quiet Place 

Rate this film:
A 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 8 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

A Quiet Place 
Indiana Jones IV

Post Re: A Quiet Place
Yeah the end was pretty great. Although I couldn't tell how many monsters were heading their way---was it only the other two that were confirmed in the area? Or were there hoardes en route? the answer would affect how I felt.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:11 pm
now we know

Many more than three.

Fri May 25, 2018 12:14 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

There were only three in that area and the remaining two are also shown heading towards the noise through TV set. Though ofcourse there will be more.

Fri May 25, 2018 2:09 am
now we know

Jack Sparrow wrote:
There were only three in that area

Not necessarily. There were 3 "confirmed" in that area. Could easily be more, and probably was more. And who's to say that Krasinski's character can even differentiate one creature from another. He could have been counting the same one each time. But anyway, the images on the monitors show that there were way more than just the "confirmed 3", because I counted about 6 or 7 running towards the house.

However, it is interesting that the family only ever encounters one at a time when they make a noise. :-k

Fri May 25, 2018 5:56 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Krasinski's character has a board says three confirmed and that information seems to be based on the early media information. I noticed only two running towards them at the end on the images, I'm absolutely sure on this. When Blunt was giving birth there were two of them but ofcourse only one is shown at a time on screen (probably due to budget constraints).

Fri May 25, 2018 6:47 am
now we know

Yes, the words "3 confirmed" are written by Krasinski. But who says he is an expert in spotting these creatures? He could have spotted one on a Monday, one on a Tuesday, and one on a Thursday, and they could all have been the same creature. These creatures all look alike. And it's not based on "media information" whatever the fuck that even means. Or do you think their farm has its own television crew just reporting for the Abbott family? And no, at the end there were many running towards them on the monitors.

Fri May 25, 2018 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

This is a good movie, nice horror sci-fi blend. I wasn't really into the story though, it has scary moments, not too scary which I prefer, but I found it had to try hard to create them and it didn't feel very natural to me. The concept of the film is its strongest point and it's executed well at times but overall I was still slightly disappointed considering the pretty strong reception I perceived about the film in advance. It reminded me a bit of Signs, a film I haven't seen in a decade or so, with a family and a threat on a farm basically. I recall that having a stronger impact on me. It was pretty cool how Krasinski sacrificed himself, and they figured the weakness out at the end. Not really a remarkable film, but solid.

B

Fri May 25, 2018 1:03 pm
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
At the end there were many running towards them on the monitors.

I thought I saw just two like Sparrow mentioned as well, but not sure, so I looked back the clip on YT, and first we see one monitor with 2 creatures coming up, then it switches to another monitor were we again see 2 creatures running by. Are it the same 2 creatures on two different monitors, or are it 4 different ones we see. Could be the case either way.

Anyway, the score was also another effective part of the film.

And this is the quietest I've ever watched a film in the cinema in China, which had the room about 2/5 full I think, truly "A Quiet Place", added a good element to the viewing experience.

Fri May 25, 2018 1:22 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Algren wrote:
Yes, the words "3 confirmed" are written by Krasinski. But who says he is an expert in spotting these creatures? He could have spotted one on a Monday, one on a Tuesday, and one on a Thursday, and they could all have been the same creature. These creatures all look alike. And it's not based on "media information" whatever the fuck that even means. Or do you think their farm has its own television crew just reporting for the Abbott family? And no, at the end there were many running towards them on the monitors.

Media information meaning newspapers besides Krasinski's desk which confirm the arrival and other details at the start of the movie. I thought it was more like for a city there were 3 confirmed.

I saw only two but I guess to each their own.

Fri May 25, 2018 5:58 pm
Indiana Jones IV

It looked like more than 2 to me BUT I think the intention was to show the other two "confirmed" but from a variety of different security camera angles. Slightly confusing. If it was truly a swarm I don't see the family surviving very long even with the high frequency discovery.

Sat May 26, 2018 12:30 am
now we know

I think they could take on 5 or 6, maybe even more. Once that device is ramped up, the creatures go crazy. But sure, killing them would depend on how many shells she has left.

And this proves why we don't need a sequel that follows on directly where the first finished. Isn't this just great to talk about it and guess and each chip in? I much prefer that than knowing what happens.

Sat May 26, 2018 12:55 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I saw it 4 times. Every time I noticed only two. Trust me, it's just two coming towards the house. Maybe they have an alternate version that Algren saw in China ;).

Sun May 27, 2018 12:25 am
Wallflower

stuffp wrote:
and first we see one monitor with 2 creatures coming up, then it switches to another monitor were we again see 2 creatures running by. Are it the same 2 creatures on two different monitors, or are it 4 different ones we see. Could be the case either way.

Yeah it's just them getting closer to the house which is seen on a different camera.

Sun May 27, 2018 12:27 am
now we know

Fair enough. If it's two, it's two. But this makes the film and the ending worse for me. The stakes just aren't there. So my new grade is an A-.

Sun May 27, 2018 1:07 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

So it takes Mike's validation to make Algren agree :P

Sun May 27, 2018 11:09 am
now we know

Not specifically Mike (although I do value his opinion). If more people disagree with my opinion then I'm not too proud to think that maybe I got it wrong. But I am not going to fold when it's just 1-1.

Sun May 27, 2018 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Sometimes you should but I guess its ok to not in a BO forum.

Mon May 28, 2018 12:48 am
now we know

Depends how strongly I feel for a certain point. If 100 people are telling me that Solo is a hit, I ain't budging.

Mon May 28, 2018 1:00 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Good to see you posting your reviews Gamaur :thumbsup:

Wed May 30, 2018 8:52 pm
Hold the door!

Really good, though a tad overhyped. The second half is better than the first and it ends too quickly. I definitely think it could have used a few more suspenseful scenes like the one where Blunt's character is in the cellar with the creature and it jumps in the water.

About the pregnancy thing, agreed ugh. They should have got their tubes tied, snipped the male or not fucked.

B+

Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:04 am
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
About the pregnancy thing, agreed ugh. They should have got their tubes tied, snipped the male

Yeah because those two things were an option, unless you think they could perform the procedures themselves.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:53 am
now we know

Magic Mike wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
About the pregnancy thing, agreed ugh. They should have got their tubes tied, snipped the male

Yeah because those two things were an option, unless you think they could perform the procedures themselves.

Hence why he said "or not fucked".

Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:15 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Well I assume these things have been around a while at the point the film begins. They should have found out a way to do surgeries in a way that the aliens won't detect by now.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:57 pm
The Kramer

zwackerm wrote:
Well I assume these things have been around a while at the point the film begins. They should have found out a way to do surgeries in a way that the aliens won't detect by now.
Pretty sure there was a title card that said 370 days or something like that. Society collapsed quickly and silent surgery would take longer to perfect even in optimal conditions.

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:35 pm
now we know

Yeah, this isn't the line of questioning you should have regarding this plot oversight. The "they shouldn't have had sex" is the right one, which can just be met with "well, they did, and that's the story".

Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next