Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Child's Play (2019) 

Grade?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Child's Play (2019) 
KJ's Leading Idiot

Post Child's Play (2019)

Quote:
Child's Play is an upcoming 2019 American slasher film directed by Lars Klevberg and written by Tyler Burton Smith. It serves as a remake and reboot of the 1988 film of the same title, following a plot similar to the original film. It stars Aubrey Plaza, Gabriel Bateman, Brian Tyree Henry, and Mark Hamill as the voice of Chucky.

The film is scheduled to be released in the United States on June 21, 2019, by Orion Pictures through the United Artists Releasing joint-venture.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:05 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Child's Play (2019)
This movie is fun as fuck and better than it has any right to be. I loved it. The finale is insanely awesome. A-

Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:55 am
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

It was alright. Not nearly enough slicing and dicing until the very end, and then it was over.

B-

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:37 am
Forum General

I thought it was really entertaining as well even though it took me a while to adjust to this new incarnation of Child's Play. I didn't quite know how to feel about it at first because it's so different from the original, but I have to give them credit for finally doing something new and innovative with this franchise even if I didn't love all the changes. Hamill is a lot of fun in this as Chucky and while I liked his voice he never came close to topping Dourif IMO. I was honestly a bit surprised that they didn't let him get more creative with the voice work, because to me he felt so reigned in and one note here. All that being said the performances from the kid playing the new Andy as well as Aubery Plaza and Brian Tyree Henry are all really solid. I also enjoyed how creative and gory some of the kills were, especially towards the end.

B

Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:22 am
Pure Phase

It is a fairly terrific example of a franchise reboot. Its smartest gambit is significantly newly imagining Chucky himself: he is no longer an unrepentant serial murderer voodoo-transported into a doll, but an artificial intelligence shaped by the behavior he is exposed to (and his limited ability to understand its nuances). This gives the character a new, quasi-tragic dimension and comfortably sets the entire enterprise apart from the original series. And almost every other element is a cut above expectations: the performances by Brian Tyree Henry, Aubrey Plaza, and Gabriel Bateman are on-point, and the urban locations (a rundown apartment building, an out-of-the-way department store) are persuasively grubby and menacing.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:25 pm
Wallflower

Yeah I loved this. One of the better horror reboots. It's so fun.

8/10 (A-)

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:41 pm
Child Actor

I expected the doll to look terrible, but man - it's even worse. Just god awful. It looks like a CGI robot with a human-looking face. Almost like they tried to mesh the two together. Mark Hamill's voice didn't jive with me either, actually got annoying as the film progressed.

Aubrey Plaza gives the best performance, and I felt the group portraying Andy's friends were solid as well. Andy is a mixed bag for me, good first half & weaker final half.

The technical aspect is the best part of the film to me. The lighting is done well and a natural tension that the story creates is done effectively also. The movie looks great, camera work and cinematography are on point. The blood and gore is used effectively too, not overdone.

This is an average reboot. Chucky comes off too robotic in scenes with Andy where the orginal doll would excel. I never sensed a connection with Chucky & Andy, even though that's what they are going for.

C-

Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:08 am
Defeats all expectations

I saw it months ago. It provided a pretty good update on the technology of the doll. Chucky was like a virtual assistant capable of voice interaction and controlling other electronic devices. Its obsession with the kid owner Andy and going extra length to get Andy to be his exclusive play mate were also deviations from the original Chucky. I liked the scenes with Andy and the old lady neighbor. The final chase scene where the store went dark was a bit underwhelming and could be longer to build more tension.

70/100

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:27 pm
Defeats all expectations

TheRazorsEdge22 wrote:
I never sensed a connection with Chucky & Andy, even though that's what they are going for.

Same here. There needed to be a scene where Andy would warm to Chucky, a way to get audiences to understand Chucky's later possessiveness.

Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:37 pm
The Kramer

I actually liked the first half more. Giving Chucky motivation besides being evil was no easy task. but they did it pretty well. Little things like him learning how to stab just from viewing dinner preparation really sold me on the character. The kills are all way over the top, why did we need Christmas lights AND a lawnmover involved in a scene that ended with Chucky stabbing the guy over and over again anyways? This was an overall pleasant surprise though and I think I liked it more than the original.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]