Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 Love, Simon 

Rate this film:
A 46%  46%  [ 6 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13

Love, Simon 
Keeping it Light

Post Love, Simon

Quote:
Love, Simon is a 2018 American romantic comedy-drama film directed by Greg Berlanti and based on the novel Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. The film stars Nick Robinson, Josh Duhamel, and Jennifer Garner. Robinson stars as Simon Spier, a closeted gay teenager in high school who is forced to balance his friends, his family, and the blackmailer threatening to out him to the entire school, while simultaneously attempting to discover the identity of the anonymous classmate he has fallen in love with online.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:42 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Love, Simon
Sweet and has some very touching moments, but something about the film feels slight. Robinson is very good though.

Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 pm
Extraordinary

LOVE SIMON

I really like this film alot. I've seen it three times and read the book three times. I feel like this adaptation was able to really capture the feeling I was getting when I read the book. Nick Robinson gives a great emotional performance that I think most folks can relate to in one way or another. His friends in the cast are very good. I love Katherine Langford and Alexandra Shipp. I wasn't excited with how Logan Miller turned out as his particular performance felt over the top. I also don't know if the Ethan character was one that was needed as his was made up. I do think his comebacks were funny but the joke in the VP office was flat as flat can be. I liked how they chose to do Simon's search for Blue by him seeing the character in people he's curious about. I loved the soundtrack and the sound during the immediate sequence when he is first outed was perfect. Finally, I was very happy with how the film's ending played out. I hope the cast and director do commentaries on the blu ray and will definitely buy it. Also, I highly recommend checking out the book.

Grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:13 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I absolutely loved this movie. It has the biggest beating heart of any movie I've seen in a really long time, and while it does borrow from other similar films of this genre (namely Never Been Kissed in the final third), it does feel like such an important step to have this out there. The entire ensemble is wonderful. Nick Robinson delivers a breakout performance and is so winning as the lead - it's impossible not to love his character. Katherine Langford and Alexandra Shipp are the standouts of the uniformly excellent young ensemble. And both Jennifer Garner and Josh Duhamel are fantastic as the parents. Duhamel probably gives his best performance ever, honestly - I was so impressed with him. It's also so well-written in the way it handles its subject matter - I cried at multiple points but the coming out scenes with Shipp's character and the big moments with Simon's parents just felt so real, authentic and powerful. The movie is also hilarious and charming in the same way all classic teen movies are, and the ending is a huge crowdpleaser in the best possible way. I just found this so lovely and didn't want it to end. A

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:09 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

Also, Alexandra Shipp is a STAR. We already knew this about Katherine Langford, but Shipp just has such a calming and lovely charisma onscreen that makes it hard not to fall for her here. The big scene between her and Simon was AMAZING.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:19 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Was a little underwhelmed by the first half but the second really picked up and it's a very lovely, heartwarming movie. I will see it again. I think I might like it more on repeat viewings. That usually happens initially with movies I have high expectations for. Robinson, Shipp, Garner, Langford, and Duhamel were all great.

My full audience definitely ate the film up. There was applause at I believe three different parts.

8/10 (A-)

Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I love this movie so much. I can't stop thinking about it.

Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:21 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

I bought the soundtrack and have listened to that a few times today. :)

Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:57 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The soundtrack is great.

Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:18 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie is a goddamn delight. It's the feel GREAT movie of the year, I can't remember a movie that left me feeling so happy leaving the theater. I've already seen it three times :P

Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:21 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Wow 4 F's. I'm guessing those people didn't see the movie. Easy to guess the people who rated it that I'm sure.

Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:25 am
Pure Phase

The revolution is here: the gay community now has its own fairly vacuous, Nancy Meyers-style teenage comedy. Love, Simon is pleasant in the way being half asleep on a rainy Sunday afternoon is pleasant, but nothing more. Its existence as a studio-financed, widely released gay coming-of-age story is striking, but its execution is decidedly not. It is tidy to a fault: the characters exist in a gravity-free and obviously wealthy sitcom realm where everyone is a bit too photogenic, chic, and open-minded (and homophobia is almost entirely relegated to a pair of peripheral, easily dismissed bullies). It is wholesome in its affirmations and bland as drama.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:08 pm
now we know

The voice of reality has arrived.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:09 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

It was bound to happen that someone didn't like this film.

Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:22 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I saw this for a fourth time tonight :P I think the last movie I saw that many times in theaters was like The Dark Knight or something ;) It's been a while.

Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:18 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

I finally caught it yesterday and found this to be great as a family movie but as David mentioned its too polished and tidy. The actual reveal is not as relevant in the movie (other than a nod from the Vice President) which was a shame because I wanted that part to have more complications, not everyone accepts this even today. There was a fun jab at the pantry but its resolved too quickly by the charming Natasha Rothwell (who steals ALL the scenes she is in and comes out the most funny part of the movie) and Tony Hale. Duhamel and Garner both get a few scenes but are mostly wasted here.

The movie works VERY well as a romantic movie and I liked how it kept me guessing on the identity of Blue. The finale though cliched leaves its mark well (again not because they are gay but because of its romantic roots). Also though I will give high marks to the movie to create an atmosphere where the audience will mostly feel comfortable watching a gay movie. All the three supporting cast are great in here specially Shipp, Robinson handles the complex role of Simon well though I would have loved to have seen more than one outburst.

7/10

Mon May 07, 2018 1:11 pm
now we know

What's with Sparrow and his recent gay movie viewing? Did he have a slumber party or something? Love, Simon; Mean Girls; You Again; and Ingrid Goes West. ;)

Tue May 08, 2018 8:15 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Haha. Love,Simon was just released here the rest were weekend watch with my wife.

Tue May 08, 2018 1:32 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Bought this on iTunes today. This movie is still perfect :wub2:

Tue May 29, 2018 10:50 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Yeah, this just came on torrent for download. I skipped it.

Tue May 29, 2018 11:47 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I loved this movie.

A

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:09 am
Star Trek XI

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I finally caught it yesterday and found this to be great as a family movie but as David mentioned its too polished and tidy. The actual reveal is not as relevant in the movie (other than a nod from the Vice President) which was a shame because I wanted that part to have more complications, not everyone accepts this even today. There was a fun jab at the pantry but its resolved too quickly by the charming Natasha Rothwell (who steals ALL the scenes she is in and comes out the most funny part of the movie) and Tony Hale. Duhamel and Garner both get a few scenes but are mostly wasted here.

The movie works VERY well as a romantic movie and I liked how it kept me guessing on the identity of Blue. The finale though cliched leaves its mark well (again not because they are gay but because of its romantic roots). Also though I will give high marks to the movie to create an atmosphere where the audience will mostly feel comfortable watching a gay movie. All the three supporting cast are great in here specially Shipp, Robinson handles the complex role of Simon well though I would have loved to have seen more than one outburst.

7/10

Thanks for the reminder! As if we needed more reminding of this even though times have changed so much. Cant believe that anyone would dislike this movie and bring up people not accepting homosexuality.I don't really like you very much at all for this and also your negativity about Constance not getting nominated for Hustlers. How the FUCK would you know what STX's budget is?

Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:00 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Where is my review saying that I didn't like it? Did my 7/10 make it unclear or my start saying that it's great was the culprit here? Wanting a movie to have more complications about someone's sexuality is not a crime specially in a gay movie because it resurfaces the underlying issues that people still have. For a first big studio mainstream gay movie this should have gotten a scene or two (or an arc of hater's redemption).

As for Constance it's just a matter of preference I guess and I'm fine you not liking me for that because it was my opinion that Lopez overshadowed Constance. As for STX budget its not a big studio that can spend money to build brand name in order to get nomination for an actress (in what seemed like a locked race). I generally don't get that as well but Oscar campaign is a big thing there.

Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:19 pm
Star Trek XI

All good, no worries

Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]