Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Gringo (2018) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Gringo (2018) 
Pure Phase

Post Gringo (2018)

Quote:
Gringo is a 2018 American comedy film directed by Nash Edgerton and written by Anthony Tambakis and Matthew Stone.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:17 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Gringo (2018)
I am a fan of Australian director Nash Edgerton and his Blue-Tongue Films collective; they have made several sensational, hilariously macabre short films in recent years, including Spider and its sequel Bear, and Nash's feature-length directorial debut, The Square, is a riveting neo-noir set in New South Wales. It pains me then to declare his second feature, Gringo, a thorough mediocrity. It is first and foremost just an...odd picture, an unwieldy potpourri of genres and tones with sporadic pacing and a overqualified, mostly poorly utilized cast, including Thandie Newton, David Oyelowo, a vampirically over-the-top Charlize Theron, and the director's brother, Joel. (Only Sharlto Copley leaves a notably positive impression; between this film, Free Fire, Hardcore Henry, and a few others, he is proving to be a charismatic, valuable genre-film character actor a decade after first gaining international attention in District 9.) Around an hour in, it feels as if Gringo is still beginning, still introducing new dynamics and peripheral characters and still uncertain exactly how farcical it is trying to be; there are exciting and/or hilarious moments, but they are too few and far between. Among "hip" ensemble capers, the dream may be Pulp Fiction. The realistic goal may be Get Shorty. Alas, the result is closest to, say, Big Trouble with Tim Allen.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:18 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was disappointing. Other than a few funny things from the trailer nothing here comes close. It introduces shady characters and their motivations till its first half but is unable to tidy them up in the final stretch. Acting wise I know what Charlize was trying to do here but her character is thinly written and has no WOW moments in the end (including the final turn), Joel is unable to bring the fire needed for this role. David is just plain old himself and while his character gets a lot of good liners he is missing that specific comic timing most times.

It could have been better but its the messy direction and lack of clear screenplay that downplays this wonderful cast.

4/10

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:21 pm
Pure Phase

I appreciate Oyelowo trying his hand at a comic role, but the role of Harold is poorly written. The characterization, particularly his level of intelligence (slash the extent of his naivety), is too scattershot.

Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:07 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Oyelowo was great in a few moments but flat in most that's which is a big factor to bring down the movie. And yes all characters are written poorly.

Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:26 am
now we know

I do enjoy films like this. We've seen it before, but Gringo delivers as one of those ensemble efforts where everyone has a different agenda, there are loads of double-crosses, and everyone's a character. I do not believe every film needs to be pushing the bar of creativity. I am content with emulation as long as it's entertaining, and Gringo is. It is sharply written and comes to a neat enough conclusion. Joel Edgerton and Charlize Theron steal the show from David Oyelowo, who isn't at all lead material but here just serves as a mule for all of these other far more interesting characters, such as Sharlto Copley's, to show off their talents.

B+

Sun May 27, 2018 5:50 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

I'm with Algren on this one. I wouldn't necessarily call this a great film, but I found it thoroughly entertaining and engaging. I liked David Oyelowo as the lead, but Copley, Theron and Edgerton are definitely more interesting characters, especially Copley. It's well written and I liked how the dialogue/jokes stayed pretty consistent throughout. I only thought Newton and Seyfried were greatly underused, but it was nothing that ruined the film for me.

B+

Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]