Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 A Wrinkle in Time 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 40%  40%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 10

A Wrinkle in Time 
Keeping it Light

Post A Wrinkle in Time

Quote:
A Wrinkle in Time is a 2018 American science fantasy adventure film directed by Ava DuVernay from a screenplay by Jennifer Lee, based on the 1962 novel of the same name by Madeleine L'Engle. The film stars Oprah Winfrey, Reese Witherspoon, Mindy Kaling, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Michael Peña, Storm Reid, Zach Galifianakis, and Chris Pine, and follows a young girl who, with the help of three astral travelers, sets off on a quest to find her father, who went missing after discovering a new planet.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:47 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: A Wrinkle in Time
This movie had a lot going for it including a pretty impeccable cast which makes it a shame to say that unfortunately it's a borderline incomprehensible mess. I've never read the original novel but it doesn't seem to translate well to the screen since half the time I had no idea what was going on. There are a few moments of sincerity that land and it's hard to hate on a movie that is so well intentioned and trailblazing in a lot of ways, but Ava DuVerney's direction is sloppy and unfocused. There are a few strong points though - I found Storm Reid to be an incredibly likable and endearing lead, and Chris Pine and Gugu Mbatha-Raw are wonderful and I wished they had more screentime. The costume and production design is also pretty stunning. Unfortunately Reese, Mindy, Oprah and the rest of the all-star cast are wasted. And I didn't find the acting from the other two lead kids to be anything to write home about. A major disappointment given the talent involved. C

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:34 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

The first half is very messy in real world introductions but still very interesting, the middle part is the "universe" introduction which while annoying was okish, but then it gets monotonous with one visual after another and the final stretch is just snoozefest without much character development, story manipulated motivations and bland reunion. I also hated how/where the music was placed in this, really takes you out of the flow at times, specially the songs which seems to be forced randomly by Disney or maybe where the director lacks vision to make things interesting on-screen. The three "Mrs." do well but their characters and specially their identities are irrelevant for the movie or Meg's evolution. I have no idea why Calvin was present in the journey and while Charles Wallace is given a big role in the movie its not clear why and how he gets a bigger role, neither at the start nor at the end.

There was a good potential and Ava brings out a good vision suitable enough for children as well as adults but the screenplay doesn't give her enough to do with these characters.

4/10

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:43 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The pop songs were awful and random.

I thought the movie had some interesting ideas and I do think children will get something out of it since the message of the movie is great. I actually loved that montage of what the "It" was capable of and thought it was one of the more effective scenes.

And Charles Wallace was super annoying.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:46 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

When I first read the book I was like "that will be very hard to make into a good movie". And I was right. I honestly don't think this book can be made into a great movie. It's just too slow and convoluted to work on the screen without changing it drastically. As I did enjoy the book, I did enjoy seeing parts of it come to life, but it is a shame that it's not a better film, and I don't think it's the filmmaker's fault. It reminded me a lot of Hook where the real world parts are good and the part in the fantasy world was sort of flat. It was beautiful to look at, but it just doesn't gel correctly.

B-

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:13 pm
Hold the door!

I would really love to see David review this film.

Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:06 pm
now we know

Hopefully he rips it a new one like only David can. But judging from his love of Black Panther, I think he may fall for this too! :hahaha:

Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:18 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Though leaning toward the positive, I have mixed feelings regarding this film. (I have not read the novel.) From the art direction and costuming to the computer-generated imagery, it is a sumptuous visual experience; the sequence on the utopian, flower-covered planet, for instance, put a huge smile on my face. Fourteen-year-old Storm Reid is a highly charismatic and sympathetic lead, and Chris Pine delivers a striking supporting performance as her character's brooding-yet-compassionate father. The ensemble cast is impressive in general with the exception of Oprah Winfrey (the image of a 20-foot-tall Oprah in fairy-tale garb with frosted lips just never stops being a peculiar distraction) and the young actor playing Charles Wallace, who is an intensely irritating character (and, Christ, I never want to hear "Charles Wallace" again in my life). The overarching air of New Age uplift and the promotion of girlhood self-affirmation are tender and persuasive (and clearly director Ava DuVernay's strong suits); on the flip side of the coin, the film is oddly low on suspense considering the plot involves a treacherous, time-and-space-bending journey through mystical worlds.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:03 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

David nailed it. I thought most of the cast were serviceable, with the main girl being pretty darn good. And Pine always shines.

But man, I'm throwing this in with Ender's Game (which I liked more) and Lovely Bones (which I liked about the same). A huge book (that I haven't read) that just has TOO MUCH to fit into a single movie, so parts are just slashed out. Leaving an empty shell. A beautiful, empty shell. Though Pine almost saved it.

C+/B-

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]