Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Fullmetal Alchemist 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Fullmetal Alchemist 
Keeping it Light

Post Fullmetal Alchemist

Quote:
Fullmetal Alchemist is a 2017 Japanese dark fantasy science fiction adventure film directed by Fumihiko Sori, starring Ryosuke Yamada, Tsubasa Honda and Dean Fujioka and based on the manga series of the same name by Hiromu Arakawa.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:22 am
The Kramer

Post Re: Fullmetal Alchemist
I will start by saying that anyone who is not at least somewhat familar with the material will struggle with this. It reminded me of Dark tower in this way. When they cut away to the humunculai for the first time I can say “hey I know them!” Versus “Are there seriously more characters in this movie?” And while disguised as a swashbuckling “Find Magical Item X” , the much more sinister story it is does not reveal itself until the near the end. So halfway through every one is having fun and then boom, time to get depressed and think about how we treat fellow humans.

FMA actually reaches pretty high with thematic, which is great but adds even more layers of confusion. Is it about being human? Lust and her siblings definitely think so, but it is still near impossible to sympathize with her at that point in the story. If Doctor Fuckhead is no longer human because of what he did, then the Humunculai have to take a look in the mirror before complaining about discrimination. So it is more about what people are willing to sacrifice to achieve their goals, whether those goals be honorable or not. Al’s “If it costs a life, I’d rather stay like this” not only gives you the feels, but shows why these two are worth rooting for in this world of science-based madness.

So, unlike the recent Death Note and other anime films, Full Metal atleast gets it right for its fans. I give it major props for trying to be more than that, but newcomers will have a hard time finding the themes amongst everything else that is thrown at them.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:41 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Fullmetal Alchemist
I’ve never seen Brotherhood actually. It’s basically the first half of the anime, but with a somewhat definitive ending in case there is no sequel.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]