Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Game Night 

Rate this film:
A 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
B 69%  69%  [ 9 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 13

Game Night 
Keeping it Light

Post Game Night

Quote:
Game Night is a 2018 American action black comedy film directed by John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein and written by Mark Perez. The film stars Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams and follows a group of friends whose game night turns into a murder mystery. The film also features a supporting cast that includes Kyle Chandler, Billy Magnussen, Sharon Horgan, Lamorne Morris, Kylie Bunbury, Jesse Plemons, Michael C. Hall, Danny Huston and Jeffrey Wright.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:20 am
---------

Post Re: Game Night
Way funnier than I ever expected. So glad to see Jason Bateman in a non-lazy comedy.

Jesse Plemmons makes the entire movie though. Every scene with him is gold.

A-

Spoiler: show
Hilarious to see Dextor Morgan in role. Seems like it's been forever since he's popped up in anything. He was great though.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:16 pm
Superman: The Movie

Did not expect this. I was hoping for good. Instead, I got an incredibly well made comedy with inspired visual touches and comedic performances. There is a long one-take (probably has at least two digital edits, but who cares?) that is especially creative. I also liked the miniatures that were used to sometimes to transition from scene to scene (and the end credits). And Jesse Plemons...from the very second he appears on screen is the film’s MVP. McAdams and Horan are also standouts.

Oh, Game Night is also a rarity in being a comedy that’s actually hilarious. At least 90 percent of the jokes land which is incredibly impressive. This is the funniest comedy in at least two years (AT LEAST).

I’m a defender of Daley and Goldstein’s previous effort in Vacation. It wasn’t the original, but I wasn’t expecting it to be. This is leaps and bounds above that. With Game Night they prove they’re the real deal. And as long as Warner Brothers/DC doesn’t fuck with them, I now cannot wait for their upcoming Flashpoint.

A

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Highly enjoyed this. Rachel McAdams and Jesse Plemons stole the show. Both were hilarious. That being said, the entire ensemble was really great and had great chemistry. There were also quite a number of twists I didn't see coming and it is very creatively directed for the kind of film it is. B+

Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:16 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
Highly enjoyed this. Rachel McAdams and Jesse Plemons stole the show. Both were hilarious. That being said, the entire ensemble was really great and had great chemistry. There were also quite a number of twists I didn't see coming and it is very creatively directed for the kind of film it is. B+

Wow, a B+ from you is surprising. Would have thought a comedy with Rachel that's supposed to be great would have gotten an A- anyway.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:56 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Just trying to be a little harder with my grading. I enjoyed it a lot.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:02 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

It is only consistently laugh-out-loud hilarious when Jesse Plemons is in a scene (he relishes this odd role, all but defining what it is to steal a scene), but I enjoyed Game Night in general. It feels smartly assembled and ever so slightly a cut above for a mainstream "dark" comedy: the character arcs and themes ring true for the most part; there are a few unexpectedly well-staged set pieces; and the lampooning of David Fincher circa the 1990s is a pleasantly nerdy, subtle undercurrent.

On par with, say, the first Horrible Bosses and Hangover movies.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:25 am
Extraordinary

Yeah, this was a lot more enjoyable than I was expecting.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:07 am
Wallflower

I saw it release week and have been meaning to catch it again. There have just been too many new movies releasing that I want to see. I thought it was hilarious. Rachel McAdams, Jesse Plemons, and Billy Magnussen stole the movie.

8/10 (A-)

Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 am
now we know

This is a very good R-rated comedy. I was laughing a lot with this one, and it feels so fresh, and slick, and modern too. I loved all the celebrity (Denzel, lol) and game references. It gets Jason Bateman back in the swing of things in terms of comedy, which is great to see, and he hasn't lost his spark. Rachel McAdams is absolutely fantastic, and gorgeous, and just so fucking hot and adorable and funny - is there anyone more perfect? As for the others; I didn't think Plemons was too good, but Michael Cyril Creighton stole the opening, and Magnussen/McAdams stole the movie. The film has one too many twists and/or attempted twist moments, but I guess it is the nature of the movie, and I loved how the film doesn't have a social agenda. It is just good humour for all people, just painted on a dark canvas ... which is the best way!

B+

Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Glad you loved McAdams in it. She is absolutely gorgeous and so funny. :wub2:

Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:13 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

McAdams is getting hotter with age.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:50 am
now we know

Magic Mike wrote:
Glad you loved McAdams in it. She is absolutely gorgeous and so funny. :wub2:

Hands off, Mike! ;)

Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

MadGez wrote:

Her hotness certainly isn't diminishing. :shades:

Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:26 pm
now we know

MadGez wrote:

Wow, she is 39! I guess that is the sweet spot for her. I guess when she gets to 45 her hotness will start to diminish.

Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:59 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Saw this a week back and really loved it. McAdams, Bateman and Plemmons are funny specially Plemmons in a small role. Some really good twists and funny throughout.

8/10

Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:09 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Saw it again yesterday and loved it. Really funny and re-watchable movie. Plemmons was hilarious in every scene he was in.

Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37 pm
Devil's Advocate

Good comedy, what makes it work it succeeds in more way than just jokes. The plotline and "thriller" aspect are legitimately enjoyable and it's well directed. The relationship between Bateman/McAdams and his brother is believable. Plemons is the highlight though.

Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:27 am
Forum General

This was fun and while I laughed quite a bit I don't remember anything that made me outright LOL. The Jesse Plemons stuff came close though as I loved pretty much every scene he was in, although this ensemble cast worked well together overall. Bateman and McAdams have such great chemistry here as a couple and I enjoyed the twist and turns along with the cameos. I also liked how this movie was shot and that for a comedy it really did feel like a legit thriller at times.

B

Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:36 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I loved this. McAdams was a delight and just ridiculously funny. And WINSTONNNNNNNNNNNNN.

Also, the director used tilt shift? I think? on some shots. Which looked great and is rarely ever used. Gave this a different look.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:25 am
Defeats all expectations

Fast paced comedy with some good set-pieces (the chase in "rich people's fight club" in particular). Good ensemble cast. I particularly like Rachel McAdams' performance, alternating between casual (sometimes sloppy) acting and nearly breaking the fourth wall. Some unexpected comic sense from her.

72/100

Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:47 am
Keeping it Light

This is fun, good comedy, with an excellent cast. I wasn't really engaged all the way through, but there was plenty to giggle and laugh out loud at. McAdams is definitely the star performer, damn she can do comedy well. The rumble-bumble of real thugs over real thugs coming in was a bit much, and it's not a completely polished film. But there's fun references, nice shots of suburbia and score. I also like the brief role of Michael Cyril Creighton, too bad he wasn't in it more. Game Night did enough to earn it's +.

B+

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:24 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

This is such a FUN movie, so disappointed that it didn't do big numbers, would have loved to see a sequel with this cast (or maybe even an entirely new cast). Entire cast is so good here even loved Horgan's scenes this time around. Plemmons is great here with McAdams doing great in all scenes (comedy, drama and action). Bateman plays himself but his inclusion definitely suits this movie.

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]