Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The Ritual 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Ritual 
Keeping it Light

Post The Ritual

Quote:
The Ritual is a 2017 British horror film directed by David Bruckner and written by Joe Barton. The film is based on the novel of the same name by Adam Nevill. The film stars Rafe Spall, Arsher Ali, Robert James-Collier and Sam Troughton.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:10 am
Forum General

Post Re: The Ritual
This was a really effective horror film. I only wish the Blair Witch reboot that came out not too long ago could have been this good, because this is a much better version of that film in every way. The only thing I'm sure most people will have a problem with is the reveal towards the end which I can understand, but I honestly found it refreshing that the director didn't hold back. There's not a whole lot of character development either, but the performances are all pretty solid, especially Rafe Spall who I wasn't expecting to like so much considering how his character was introduced. I also understand that horror can be very subjective, but the scares are so damn well done in this movie. The use of sound and and the dread filled atmosphere alone were enough to get some genuine frightening reactions out of me and that's something I definitely don't say about alot of other horror films.

B+

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:08 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's definitely atmospheric and there are quite a few unsettling moments. I loved the cinematography and score. But the characters are so idiotic that it became almost comical by the end. I also didn't think the third act worked at all. Still, it's watchable. B-

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:23 pm
Profile YIM
now we know

Wow, that was heart-pounding. It took a bit of time for me to realise that The Ritual is not actually a black comedy (ala Severance) because the banter between the four guys is pretty damn funny. And the fact that Rafe Spall is the lead. But when it gets serious, it is haunting, and the cult that is revealed is scary. The beast isn't so scary, but his unseen presence totally is. When Spall is in that attic the film is at its most effective. And Spall is actually great in the role. As is ex-Coronation Street star, Robert James-Collier, who looks so different to how I remember him in the soap.

The Ritual is simply a very good British horror film.

A-

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:21 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked it but didn't love it because of the finale and the fact that some of the scares/redemption points are not effectively used and that mostly the four friends take random decisions because the script demands it. The scares are VERY effective here and I agree the Blair Witch Project could have used most of this to be effective. I didn't find the cult to be very scary or their use to be of any importance to the story other than maybe the title of the movie. Rafe Spall was very good in this and Collier in a smaller role was great as well.

6/10

Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]