Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hostiles 

Rate this film:
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Hostiles 
Pure Phase

Post Hostiles

Quote:
Hostiles is a 2017 American period western film written and directed by Scott Cooper, based on a story by Donald E. Stewart.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:07 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Hostiles
I hated this film. It is such a chore to sit through, I hesitate to even give it points for its superficial qualities: a few handsomely photographed Western vistas, Christian Bale's convincing-if-perfunctory intensity, etc. It has a handful of concerns and notions—the inhumane treatment of Native Americans, violence and the trauma it causes on both sides of a conflict—and it lugubriously stretches them to well over two hours, but without much character development (particularly for its Native characters) and almost no historical or psychological insight. Allergic to excitement and suspense lest a single frame not be pompously forlorn, the film consistently confuses a funereal tone, slow-motion pacing, and a well-burnished aesthetic for depth, and what storytelling there is is often perplexing and oddly structured: consider Ben Foster's character, his introduction, and his exit...or the abrupt resolution of the Comanche threat...or how rapidly Rosamund Pike's character seems to transcend her delirium and grief...

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:08 am
Forum General

I really dug this. Sure it glosses over some things that could have been more important, but I was pretty captivated throughout watching this. Bale is so good here at playing a complex yet interesting character who starts out as a racist, but redeems himself eventually. Cooper got a really solid ensemble cast in this even though some of them don't have a whole lot of screen time or are just brief cameos. I also loved the cinematography and something about this film felt like a old-school, epic Western. When the action hits it's badass and pretty damn violent too.

B+

Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:49 pm
George A. Romero

Excellent Western.

A-

Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:56 pm
Wallflower

I saw this in theaters and was not a fan. I don't regret seeing it theatrically because it is gorgeous to look at. But it's incredibly slow and not very engaging. The opening is excellent. Thought I was going to love it after that. But then it just didn't go anywhere interesting and was way too long. Rosamund Pike is excellent though. She deserved a Best Supporting Actress nomination.

It's not bad. I am pretty shocked by David's rating. But it was underwhelming. Would never watch it again.

6/10 (C+)

I think Algren is going to give this an A or A+, FYI. ;) Totally his kind of movie. Though I also thought it was David's kind of movie :P.

Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:34 am
now we know

Not bad, but I can't lie that I am hugely disappointed by it. It ends well. Very poignant. But it does drag, and the story doesn't play out as expected (and that's the real let down - we do not even see the red-faced Camanche dude get his comeuppance!). It's about retribution and forgiveness, and understanding the warrior and his place. Bale gives a good performance. No surprises there. I did not think Chalamet was very good, so I was pleased when he exited early. The violence was rather tame. After the first initial attack on Pike's family, I thought it was going to be a savage western, but that is the high point in terms of violence. B-

Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Chalamet was awful in it. Razzie-worthy. Don't know what happened there.

Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:55 pm
now we know

Agreed. It was a weird performance. As if he stumbled into the role off the street.

Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]