Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Sorry to Bother You 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Sorry to Bother You 
Keeping it Light

Post Sorry to Bother You

Quote:
Sorry to Bother You is a 2018 American comedy fantasy sci-fi film written and directed by Boots Riley, in his directorial debut. It stars Lakeith Stanfield, Armie Hammer, Tessa Thompson, Steven Yeun, Jermaine Fowler, Omari Hardwick and Terry Crews.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:05 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Sorry to Bother You
I absolutely fucking hated this movie. I was bound to find one clunker in the bunch after seeing so many films at Sundance and oh boy, this was certainly it. This movie is annoying, try-hard, obnoxious and stupid. It's like if Get Out was directed by some moron drug addict. The good reviews and buzz baffle me. It's not the actors' faults - Lakeith Stanfield is actually good as is Armie Hammer - but the execution is just ridiculous and the third act twist almost made me walk out. This is one of those psychedelic 'cool' movies like The Big Lebowski that are actually just ridiculous and awful. Will more than likely be on my worst of the year list. D

Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:30 am
Profile YIM
now we know

After that opening remark, I am disappointed you gave it just a D.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:43 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

It probably should be lower. The third act twist is one of the most idiotic things I've ever seen.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:00 pm
Profile YIM
The Incredible Hulk

Sounds like the movie’s title was very fitting.

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I have only seen one negative comment about this film, and it's cory's post.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:53 am
Pure Phase

This film was...not for me. It is wildly overpraised. In my estimation, it plays as heavy-handed, hyper-didactic anti-capitalist social commentary paired with an obnoxiously overbearing aesthetic. Individual gags and elements, such as the badly dubbed "white voices" and the Tessa Thompson character's clichéd performance art, rapidly begin to grate, as does the overall sense of unfocused frenzy. The experience is exhausting and feels three hours long. It is, I guess, an objectively ambitious film, but ambition is only worthwhile if executed well.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:11 pm
Extraordinary

I agree with David. The film certainly takes chances but especially the last half hour did not work with me.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:02 pm
Wallflower

Yeah this is one of those rare movies where I really have no idea what to rate it. And I watched it like 3 weeks ago. Can't say I was a fan. It wasn't boring, just idiotic. That plot twist really is stupid as fuck.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I thought this was great. It's got its own genetic flow, weird as fuck, outrageously weird at times, pretty hilarious, commentary was on point. I appreciate the unique vision on display, and love how the story developed and how it was resolved.

I'm also amused by the response to this movie. Two middle aged folks walked out of my theater with maybe 15 minutes remaining in the movie (there were also only 5 people to start with, so 40% of the audience walked out before it ended). And later when I mentioned the movie to my mom, she said she had heard about it on NPR and was very interested.... I'm like, Mom, you would hate it, it is weird as FUCK. The great reviews are convincing people to see it, but I understand that a large swath of the audience is going to be pissed / unsettled / unsatisfied. But I really really enjoyed it.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:11 pm
Keeping it Light

Pretty cool film, there's a weirdness, but it works mostly in a refreshing way. The script is great, a exaggerated view on society well written. Because of Tessa Thompson I was especially inclined to see this, and both her and Lakeith Stanfield fit perfectly as the leads, everyone was well cast actually, nice to see Danny Glover in it too. The film does come up short with a few parts, the dubbing of its white voice feature remained a strange sight I couldn't really get used too and some parts are not well executed like the brief sex orgy that happens is too fake. But it's also funny through how ridiculous it interprets the film's reality, and it stands out with its art direction too. Likable feature-film debut from Boots Riley.

B+

Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]