Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Tully 

Rate this film:
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Tully 
Keeping it Light

Post Tully

Quote:
Tully is an upcoming American comedy-drama film directed by Jason Reitman and written by Diablo Cody. The film stars Charlize Theron, Mackenzie Davis, Mark Duplass and Ron Livingston, and follows the friendship of a mother of three and her babysitter.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:26 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Tully
This is Young Adult 2 right?

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:04 pm
Extraordinary

Quite liked this. Charlize is terrific as usual. Did not really see the story veering in that direction.

Sun May 06, 2018 2:10 am
Pure Phase

A good, yet frustrating film. When and where it excels, it is truly superb: Charlize Theron delivers a committed, emotional, frequently unflattering, and at times hilarious performance as an overwrought suburban mother. And for 95 percent of the film, a productive synergy is shared by screenwriter Diablo Cody's portrayal of maternal strife and director Jason Reitman's subtle, almost improvisational-feeling direction (noticeably pared down compared to his duo of poorly received 2013 films, the Internet-themed polemic Men, Women & Children and the hyper-nostalgic romantic drama Labor Day...both of which I have a soft spot for, particularly Labor Day).

I was firmly under this film's spell. Then there is the ending and its Sixth Sense-level twist-with-a-capital-T.
Spoiler: show
A major episode of postpartum psychosis is too large (and complicated, and rare) an element to introduce to a film so close to its final scene. The key revelation—Mackenzie Davis' character, a type of hipster Mary Poppins, is a figment of our heroine's imagination and a manifestation of her younger, more free-spirited self—feels heavy-handed and insufficiently considered in its implications. It registers as a creative-writing flourish where no such flourish was required or desired. And it serves to modestly sour the rest of the film's noble effort to be a grounded and sympathetic depiction of the much more commonplace and insidious symptoms of postpartum depression.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 06, 2018 12:09 pm
Pure Phase

As a person employed in elementary special education, I was surprised and pleased to see a sensory brushing protocol depicted in a mainstream film. I was a bit disappointed the film never shows how the autistic son, Jonah, fares in his new school.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun May 06, 2018 12:38 pm
Forum General

This was great. Theron gives one of her best performances here and it's quite easy to relate to. As for the controversial enjoying - I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. I knew about it before going into the movie and was expecting to hate it but I went with it. The only thing that felt a little out of place was the partying in Brooklyn scene, it was a little too unbelievable that Theron would think it was a good idea to leave her sleeping baby with the sleeping father, without him knowing they were leaving.

I agree with David though, I wish they explored more of Jonah's storyline.

A-

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu May 17, 2018 3:21 pm
Profile YIM WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

This had some pretty good moments here and there, but overall it fell short of what it seemed like it wanted to be.

B

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]