Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Mom and Dad (2017) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Mom and Dad (2017) 
Pure Phase

Post Mom and Dad (2017)

Quote:
Mom and Dad is a 2017 American horror comedy film written and directed by Brian Taylor.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:17 pm
Wallflower

Post Re: Mom and Dad (2017)
Wasn't a big fan.

5/10 ( C )

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:11 am
Pure Phase

This is all right. The absurd-violent high concept is novel and playful, and Selma Blair and Nicolas Cage's combined mania is hypnotic and occasionally hilarious. Their commitment to the lunacy is admirable. But at the same time, the film moves at almost too jet-propelled a pace; the deranged energy of the enterprise verges on self-consuming, and there are moments I wish lasted longer, their potential for suspense and/or macabre humor mined more deeply. The film also ends abruptly and rather unsatisfactorily, which increases the sense of the concept's grasp exceeding the execution's reach.

B-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:13 am
Wallflower

I probably would have given it a low B- too had it not been for the ending. I thought it sucked.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:21 am
Forum General

Yeah this wasn't very good at all which is a shame since I really liked the trailer. I do kind of love the first Crank movie and I like the sequel as well as Gamer which I know gets a lot of hate and I can understand why, but this film was such a mess IMO. First off, as much as I love the chaotic, frenetic and batshit energy that Brian Taylor and Mark Neveldine brought to those other films it became pretty obvious to me from the start that that particular style of film making just doesn't really fit this film. I would appreciated it more if it was just a straightforward horror film honestly like Cooties which I think is a much better movie than this, but I will say that I did really enjoy Nic Cage and Selma Blair's characters. The chemistry between those two was on point, and you can tell they were dedicated to the material which I can respect.

C

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:24 pm
Pure Phase

I agree. The overcharged Crank aesthetic is fun in and of itself, but it doesn't lend itself to a sense of foreboding or menacing. The movie just goes, goes, goes when it could use a dose of slowly burning tension and foreshadowing.

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:04 pm
now we know

It is a fun and novel idea, but this is a badly made film. It is poorly acted, but that's not its problem. You employ bad actors...surprise! they'll produce crap. It is just shot so frenetically and spliced up so oddly. And there is a curious absence of gore and explanation. Cage overacts (even before he switches) and Blair doesn't act enough. But for what it is, it wasn't too bad. There is some enjoyment to be had with it. The basement explosion is a highlight.

C

Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:51 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]