Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 All the Money in the World 

Rate this film:
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

All the Money in the World 
Keeping it Light

Post All the Money in the World

Quote:
All the Money in the World is a crime thriller film directed by Ridley Scott and written by David Scarpa, based on John Pearson's 1995 book Painfully Rich: The Outrageous Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Heirs of J. Paul Getty. It stars Michelle Williams, Christopher Plummer, Mark Wahlberg, Romain Duris, Andrew Buchan, and Timothy Hutton. The film tells the story of J. Paul Getty's refusal to cooperate with the extortion demands of a group of kidnappers, from the organized crime Mafia group 'Ndrangheta, who abducted his grandson John Paul Getty III in the 1970s.

Kevin Spacey originally portrayed the eldest Getty, appearing in the film's initial marketing materials. However, after multiple sexual assault allegations were leveled against Spacey, the role was recast with Christopher Plummer. At the 75th Golden Globe Awards, All the Money in the World received three nominations: Best Director, Best Actress – Drama for Williams and Best Supporting Actor for Plummer.

Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:13 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: All the Money in the World
It starts out too slowly, but once this gets going this is an incredibly entertaining albeit over-the-top movie that's somewhere between a glorified soap opera and a truly gritty crime thriller. Ridley Scott did a masterful job especially given the challenges he was up against, the movie looks gorgeous and aside from one shot none of the last minute reshoots are even remotely noticeable. Christopher Plummer actually gives an amazing performance here - I was blown away, he gives the character a sense of wicked charm and his line readings are brilliant. Hard to believe he was only shooting the material three weeks ago. And the role is not small either, he's in almost the entire thing, so it's even crazier they were able to reassemble the entire cast and crew. Michelle Williams is also fantastic and is really the movie's heart and soul. Mark Wahlberg also does a great job, as does Charlie Plummer in a physically demanding performance. I may want to give this another viewing because the tone of it is truly bizarre, but I really enjoyed it a lot. The final chase scene through the streets of Rome is one of the year's best scenes. B+

Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:39 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

A fine-if-unspectacular true-crime drama. Christopher Plummer's performance as imposing oil tycoon J. Paul Getty is far and away the chief highlight. This is not because he replaced the disgraced Kevin Spacey and shot his myriad scenes so rapidly in the month preceding the film's release (though this is undoubtedly an interesting behind-the-scenes feat), but rather because the film is enlivened every time the character is on-screen. Director Ridley Scott is clearly amused and fascinated by Getty, his cruelty, his theatrical frugality, and the gilded cage of fine art and sprawling estates in which he is growing old, and Plummer in turn delivers an icily majestic performance. Scott seems less enthralled by the primary story, the kidnapping of Getty's teenage grandson in Rome and his subsequent months in captivity. These events are dramatized crisply and proficiently, but there is a curious dearth of suspense. Mark Wahlberg is rather sleepy and miscast as a former CIA agent Getty employs to finesse precarious situations; he appears almost uncomfortable, unsure of what to do other than occupy the frame and deliver his lines as authoritatively as he can. Michelle Williams, affecting a convincing, Katharine Hepburn-esque Mid-Atlantic accent, is more engaging as the abducted adolescent's anxious mother.

B

Portraying J. Paul Getty as dying the same night his grandson is rescued is, of course, a fabrication. A problematic one because it feels so fabricated. Too tidy. A creative-license flourish too far. In fact, the last few minutes in general are odd. The film ignores arguably the most interesting, if melancholy, detail from history...the fact John Paul Getty III never entirely recovered from his ordeal, became heavily addicted to drugs, suffered a paralyzing stroke, etc.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:43 pm
Pure Phase

thompsoncory wrote:
and aside from one shot none of the last minute reshoots are even remotely noticeable

The shot of him removing his sunglasses and surveying the landscape in Saudi Arabia? This is the one moment where I thought Plummer seemed pasted in via computer.

In a post-screening Q&A with Scott, Jeffrey Wells confirmed there is one brief shot of Spacey in the film. I believe this is either the shot (from afar) of him exiting the train in Saudi Arabia or the one of he and his young grandson approaching the Roman ruins in snowy silhouette.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:47 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

David wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:
and aside from one shot none of the last minute reshoots are even remotely noticeable

The shot of him removing his sunglasses and surveying the landscape in Saudi Arabia? This is the one moment where I thought Plummer seemed pasted in via computer.

Correct

Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:32 am
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

All the Money in the World is based on an attention grabbing true story from the 70's that could practically tell itself. However the screenplay (by the writer of the abysmal The Day the Earth Stood Still remake) is too often clunky and Ridley Scott's direction is too often befuddling. The actors do their best with the underlying history, but this could have been so much more in the hands of a more assured creative team. *B*

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:01 pm
Wallflower

Highly enjoyable flick. I found it very involving. Christopher Plummer is fantastic and Michelle Williams gives a great performance as well.

8/10 (A-)

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:22 am
now we know

Not bad. Typical Ridley Scott film. A good story plainly told. The exclusion of Spacey and inclusion of Plummer is almost seamless (Wahlberg's hair is a key indicator of which scene is new and which is old, and a few Spacey shots are still present). The film fails to ramp up the suspense in the best parts (the escape, the final search), and that is all on Ridley. But there is something extremely watchable about Plummer's scenes. Michelle Williams is great. But the boy is not. I could not root for him at any stage, and pretty much just wanted the kidnappers to shoot him.

One thing I could not figure out is; if the ransom was $4m, and they already had $1m as a loan from Getty, why did Getty send a further $3.3m?

C+

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:31 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I pretty much loved this, Scott created a great setting of biopic intrigue with "the old man" as the central figure on one side and a tense kidnapping story, with especially Michelle Williams as the stand-out performer, on the other side. Veiled in a fitting color palette the story captivates and it's hard to fault it on anything, the last minute integration of Plummer was really well-done aside from an unfortunate too obvious CGI paste job in the beginning. Soon after I was hooked on the film though, with its strong performances behind and in-front of the camera.

A-

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:11 pm
Forum General

I enjoyed it, but there is nothing about it that really stood out IMO. It's well made and paced, but given all the hype around Plummer I was definitely expecting more. Wahlberg also seemed somewhat miscast even though I don't think his performance was bad. There was just something about his character I wasn't buying. This is a solid effort from Ridley and honestly I would prefer him to do more stuff like this than anymore Alien films.

B

Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I watched the movie but didn't like it. It was too long and while Plummer did great his parts at the end were too coincidental and marks script manipulation. I liked Williams' take here not over-the-top but highly engaging as well. Wahlberg seems to be sleep walking in this role. The start and end were too slow but the middle act was great.

4/10

Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]