Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Black Cauldron 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

The Black Cauldron 
Keeping it Light

Post The Black Cauldron

Quote:
The Black Cauldron is a 1985 American animated adventure fantasy film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation in association with Silver Screen Partners II and released by Walt Disney Pictures. The 25th Disney animated feature film, it is loosely based on the first two books in The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander, a series of five novels that are, in turn, based on Welsh mythology.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:24 am
Hold the door!

Post Re: The Black Cauldron
Really not bad. There’s a lot good here, from the animation to the side Characters to the atmosphere. It’s main problem is you can tell there’s so much more in the books, and while the villain looks cool, he is never really developed beyond that. I hope they go ahead with the live action remake here.

B

Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 am
Hold the door!

Easily Disney’s best looking animated film up to the point it was released, and the world building, side characpand concept aren’t bad. The main issue is the main characters are uninteresting, lack relatability, and Taran is actually quite irritating.

Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:53 pm
The Kramer

It was only appropriate that this was next up on my Disney watch after the floppage of Raya and the Last Dragon.

Unlike Raya, Black Cauldron’s deserved its fate though. No not because it is too dark and wicked for children, nor that it was like one of eight thousand Empire-inspired dark fantasty films in the 80s and it wasn’t even because they cut out a good chunk of the ending to avoid frightening said children. No, it’s because the main character is an insufferable twat for 90% of the movie and it is extremely difficult to root for him.

The animation is gorgeous and the music is solid. There’s a lot to like here, but the “Hero’s Journey” is a fail and it drags the rest of the movie down with it.

C

Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:26 pm
The Kramer

I read that they bought the rights to this in 1971 and it made me wonder ... what if Disney had gone for Lord of the Rings instead? This was a dark age for DAS (it’d been about 25 years since their last great film, Dalmations) and they could have used a win ... But then Peter Jackson’s versions probably don’t get made and I think that would be a bigger cinematic tragedy than Disney floundering about for most of the 70s and 80s.

I need Great Mouse Detective to come through and save this era!

Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:41 pm
Hold the door!

Great mouse is good and it holds up very well on repeat viewings as well!

Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]