Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Last Flag Flying 

Rate this film:
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Last Flag Flying 
Keeping it Light

Post Last Flag Flying

Quote:
Last Flag Flying is a 2017 American comedy-drama film directed by Richard Linklater with a screenplay by Linklater and Darryl Ponicsan, based upon the latter's 2005 novel of the same name. It stars Steve Carell, Bryan Cranston, and Laurence Fishburne as three Vietnam War veterans who reunite after one of their sons is killed in the Iraq War.

Ponicsan's novel Last Flag Flying is a sequel to his 1970 novel The Last Detail, which covered the same characters earlier in their lives. For that reason, Last Flag Flying has been described as an unofficial sequel to the earlier novel's 1973 film adaptation, The Last Detail.

Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:53 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Last Flag Flying
I loved this movie. Easily the most heartfelt and touching thing I have seen all year and I'm really surprised this hasn't gotten more awards attention, especially for Carell and Cranston. Those two are just fantastic here and while I really enjoyed Fishburne I don't think his character had as much depth, but he was still so fun to watch and I loved the interactions all three of them had with eachother. Their chemistry felt very natural and I ended up enjoying the inclusion of the Washington character much more than I thought I would, although I expected them to do more with the character Yul Vazquez played. It seemed as if they were obviously setting him up as some kind of villain, but it never amounted to anything.

A

Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:27 pm
now we know

This is actually a really enjoyable film. From the plot and the marketing, you could be forgiven for thinking it would be a hard slog drama, but it's anything but. It's light and interesting, and very funny. And that's down to three great leads. I mean, it's 90% Cranston if I'm honest. The guy fucking owns this film. He's brilliant. But the other two give him a canvas to paint on. All of the sentimental marine stuff didn't fly with me, but as an old-guys-reunion film, it works. Good banter and wisdom-filled reflection. Better than any comedy I've seen in the last 12 months.

B+

Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:22 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Quite an under the radar film from last year actually, that certainly surprised me to how much I liked it, as it didn't look very interesting from the trailer. But Linklater is in top form, he really knows how to make stories and characters come to life with a certain realness to it. The script surely helps, and road trip films often have the ability to soak me in I feel. The film doesn't waste a minute of its run time, which is really just about 3 veterans re-connecting and bonding after a long time apart. Each of the leads are perfect in their roles, and I haven't enjoyed Fishburne this much since the Matrix, well in fact these might be my favorite roles of all of them. Besides the class acting, it's a very well shot and paced too. It draws on engaging drama with a undertone of lightness that makes me just glad to be on for the ride.

A-

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:00 am
now we know

I know they have different characters, and as opposed to the book the the film is only considered an "unofficial" sequel, but did you spot any connections to The Last Detail?

I'd have to agree about Sal being my favourite Cranston character. Not sure about the other two.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:13 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, I definitely thought Fishburne was better in the Matrix, but he's been a bit of a B-movie actor recently I felt, so it surprised me seeing him a role as good as this one I found. Cranston and Carell I've hardly otherwise seen better, but maybe I'm not picturing their whole filmography as clear now.

As for the connection to The Last Detail, I guess you could say it's only similar in terms of navy theme/ and the general concept of 3 guys going from A to B...the 3 characters are very relateable in terms of demeanor though too, Cranston is Nicholson, Fishburne is Otis Young and Carell is Randy Quaid. The connection is thus apparent in a way, but there's never any reference made to it really.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:38 am
now we know

Cool.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:13 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]