Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 The Post 

Rate this film:
A 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

The Post 
Keeping it Light

Post The Post

Quote:
The Post is a 2017 American political thriller film directed and produced by Steven Spielberg from a screenplay written by Liz Hannah and Josh Singer. Set in the early 1970s, the film stars Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks, Sarah Paulson, Bob Odenkirk, Tracy Letts, Bradley Whitford, Bruce Greenwood, Carrie Coon, and Matthew Rhys. The Post depicts the journalists from The Washington Post and The New York Times who published the Pentagon Papers regarding the involvement of the United States government during the Vietnam War.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:28 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: The Post
I enjoyed it quite a bit. It does not join All the President's Men and Zodiac among the all-time greatest journalism dramas—it is a bit too suffused with self-satisfaction by way of nostalgia, and a few beats fall flat (pairing actual recordings of Nixon with distant, through-a-window shots of an actor miming along to them; Kay Graham exiting the Supreme Court through a crowd exclusively composed of silently awed women)—but Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep are excellent, as is the extensive ensemble cast, and it moves at an involving clip.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:59 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Now this is a film! It's wonderful on a number of levels.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:44 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Hanks and Streep are brilliant in this and Speilberg keeps things fast and at an breathtaking pace for such a small scoped movie. Even with all this there is a lack of emotional punch, yes the families and livelihood of these people were at stake but we never had emotional connection with these rich people.

7/10

Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:28 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Magnus wrote:
Speilberg has become underappreciated since Saving Private Ryan. His resume in the 21st century is not flawless but very few directors in the last 17 years have a better resume than his over the same time period. The craftsmanship of this film is so good.

Which is a shame because some of his best work has been made since SPR - A.I, Munich, Catch Me If You Can, Lincoln, The Post... great batch of films.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:57 am
Indiana Jones IV

Solidly made from a technical standpoint. Obviously contains relevant and important messages. But commits two errors: the majority of the movie is rather boring -- the unfolding events feel procedural and distant, yet overly familiar. Secondly, the thematic crescendo is subtle as a jackhammer... we get it Steven.

B-

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:29 pm
Cream of the Crop

The Post was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be. I'm generally not a fan of Steven Speilberg but he seemed to keep his worst filmmaking impulses under control here. And what a quaint time the film portrays - before media was owned by megacorps and journalism was actually practiced and valued as a key part of a country's character and political robustness. The acting was good - Meryl Streep gives an especially outstanding performance of a powerful woman within the context of her own era. A solid *B*

Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:18 pm
On autopilot for the summer

MadGez wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Speilberg has become underappreciated since Saving Private Ryan. His resume in the 21st century is not flawless but very few directors in the last 17 years have a better resume than his over the same time period. The craftsmanship of this film is so good.

Which is a shame because some of his best work has been made since SPR - A.I, Munich, Catch Me If You Can, Lincoln, The Post... great batch of films.

I really don't think he has. People forget his producing and TV work as well. A lot of the TV movement is based on his involvement as well with Band of Brothers etc. The Blockbuster genre which he created has just switched gears to more Corporate, in which he himself tried to do with Dreamworks, nearly 20 years before Disney. He is offered everything.

Also I still think most GA would call him the best living director, and He misses like 1/5 films, and even his misses are full of merit. He is still the most sought after director. People already forget that Interstellar was his baby, and he gave it to Nolan (who I think did it poorly). The guy has certainly earned to make the films he wants, and they are pretty great. There's a cool documentary about him that recently came out called Spielberg. His evolution is hands down amazing. Eastwood's precision is the only director that I'd say that still rivals him.

Though I'm ready for Ready Player One, that looks insane.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:33 am
Cream of the Crop

Magnus wrote:
very few directors in the last 17 years have a better resume than his over the same time period.

I'd say he's batting 0.154...

2017 The Post
2016 The BFG
2015 Bridge of Spies
2012 Lincoln
2011 War Horse
2011 The Adventures of Tintin
2008 Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
2005 Munich
2005 War of the Worlds
2004 The Terminal
2002 Catch Me If You Can
2002 Minority Report
2001 A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:41 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Thegun wrote:
MadGez wrote:
Magnus wrote:

I really don't think he has. People forget his producing and TV work as well. A lot of the TV movement is based on his involvement as well with Band of Brothers etc. The Blockbuster genre which he created has just switched gears to more Corporate, in which he himself tried to do with Dreamworks, nearly 20 years before Disney. He is offered everything.

Also I still think most GA would call him the best living director, and He misses like 1/5 films, and even his misses are full of merit. He is still the most sought after director. People already forget that Interstellar was his baby, and he gave it to Nolan (who I think did it poorly). The guy has certainly earned to make the films he wants, and they are pretty great. There's a cool documentary about him that recently came out called Spielberg. His evolution is hands down amazing. Eastwood's precision is the only director that I'd say that still rivals him.

Though I'm ready for Ready Player One, that looks insane.

Well Band of Brothers is one of the greatest TV achievements ever so he has that too.

I'm thinking Ready Player One will be a lot bigger (and better) than people (here on KJ) are predicting.

BTW - looks like his next film will be West Side Story (before Indy). Not that excited about it but seems like he's wanted to make a musical for years.

A friend has been raving about the Speilberg doco so i will be watching it soon.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:44 am
Superman: The Movie

Damn good. The middle of the film - going through the papers in Bradley's house all the way to the printing press - is absolutely thrilling. Yet, and I'm not sure why, but the movie doesn't feel as substantial as it should. And the scene David mentioned with Meryl descending down the steps of the Supreme Court to the dozens of female protesters worshipping her (because they'd know/care who she was) is really fucking embarrassing. We get it. We got it two scenes ago with that woman who worked for the government yet is rooting for Meryl. We got it at the last scene at her house where she's wearing a nightgown and is surrounded by all the fully dressed men yet stands her ground. SHE.IS.WOMAN! But that scene works because there is at least some realism there.

I think that scene with the protesters is trying to give the film the emotional umph and substance that the film is lacking, but it detracts more than anything else. I'd also say the movie takes a little bit to get going. But once it does, boy does it ever.

A-

I also really enjoyed the camerawork and placement. The camera is always moving. It's visually exciting. Where was that in The BFG?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:51 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

The walking down the stairs scene is indeed terrible and stands out like dog's balls.

The scenes overlaying Nixon's voice over the actor's miming was a little jarring at first but i managed to get used to it and liked the final Watergate scenes, even if unnecessary.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:08 am
You must have big rats

The final Watergate scenes were just weird. Like Spielberg setting up a sequel.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Dr. Lecter wrote:

He is. The scenes lead right into All the President's Men.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Last edited by Jmart on Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I find directors age pretty well. Much better than musicians.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Jmart wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:

He is. The scenes lead right into All the President's Men.

Yep. In that sense The Post is actually a prequel! :lol:

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:50 pm
now we know

A riveting and captivating drama. Spielberg is showing off his talent with this one. For such a boring plot (at least on paper) he meanders through it with a careful eye of the turning points and keeps the audience engaged in the story like only a true master can. And from the very start it is just a joy to watch great actors act. Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks are both superb. Actually everyone is great, but the first scene with Hanks and Streep is very enjoyable.

I also loved the final scene. ;) Nothing happens in a vacuum. It is not setting up a sequel at all.

B+

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Above all The Post stands out as a master class of film making. It didn't feel like the most interesting story to tell really, and I felt there to be a bit too much of an over reliance on the feminine aspect to it. Aside from that though, Spielberg takes us to all the right moments with the right shots of telling this story, and the talent of the cast is just outstanding on top of that. Hanks and Streep are just acting royalty, but the supporting cast keeps up with them too. Close countered scenes are made riveting, it's got the right pace and from a technical perspective everything is just super sound.

A-

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:21 pm
The Kramer

Surprisingly dull. I loved Bridge of Spies, but my reaction to this was more like The BFG. It is a great production, but I was just watching it without ever really engaging. It doesn’t even feel authentic like Spotlight. It is a party of movie stars doing movie star things while showing how Nixon and Trump are alike.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:17 am
We had our time together

Completely agree with Flava.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:38 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]