Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Downsizing 

Rate this film:
A 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
C 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

Downsizing 
Pure Phase

Post Downsizing

Quote:
Downsizing is a 2017 American science fiction comedy-drama film directed by Alexander Payne and written by Payne and Jim Taylor.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:35 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Downsizing
This was hugely disappointing, especially since I'm a fan of Payne and the cast. It didn't click with me at all - I found it dull and overlong and despite that it never really amounted to much. The performances were fine, but no one was particularly award-worthy. I'm not sure I even really get the Hong Chau love. While she's the standout I thought the performance was slightly bordering on caricature. C

Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:30 am
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

During the first hour of this movie, I love how methodically the whole Downsizing universe is constructed - a viewer's mind leaps to a dozen cool sci-fi movie plotlines set there. But, why oh why did they have to start with Downsizing: SJW? The concluding hour of the movie was easily Alexander Payne's worst work yet (except for the adorable turn by Hong Chau). I'll be lining up for the sequel, but this Downsizing is too disappointing. *C+*

Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:07 pm
now we know

Downsizing has an interesting what-if gimmick, but it is a bland exploration of the concept, and I grew tired of it and these characters over the course of its whopping 130 minute run-time. Its marketing gives it a different vibe than its pretentious intentions. The beautiful and talented Hong Chau adds some required levity, but the film gets lodged between themes and genres, instead of landing on them as it hops from chapter to chapter, place to place, and so on. It is just quite uneven, and quite a tedious watch outside of a few scenes. It also has the guise of a parable but it's so washy and bloated by morality and uncertainty that I gave up trying to decipher the meaning or if there even was one. This is a disappointing film by Payne, a filmmaker who has such a rich filmography in The Descendants, About Schmidt, Sideways, and last year's most underrated film, Wilson. He should definitely stick to straight up comedy-dramas in the future, and leave the science-fiction in more capable hands.

C

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

This wasn't that bad. Bland sure and way too long, but for the most part I was entertained while watching it. I was interested enough in the world itself eventhough it starts getting pretty old the more it goes on. Damon is fine as is the rest of the cast, but I can definitely see why some think Hong Chau is the standout. As soon as she showed I was sure she was going to be an annoying character, but gladly that didn't happen and she does have one really good scene.

C+

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:29 pm
Pure Phase

I see I never posted any thoughts in this thread. I am in a hyper-minority, but I love this film. My eleventh favorite of last year. I find it fascinating in its world building, tonal shifts, and general themes. I love how the Matt Damon character ultimately finds more fulfillment in serving his community in small, but meaningful ways (such as daily food deliveries) versus joining the extinction-contingency-minded Norwegians in their high-tech underground vault. It is a poignant idea, an antidote to feeling overwhelmed by the world's myriad problems.

And Hong Chau was simply robbed of an Oscar nomination. She is so captivating, hilarious, and alive.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:38 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I thought the movie was too long and the second half's side story didn't match with the ambitious first half. Damon was good but was really impressed by Hong Chau's work and she should have been nominated for her turn here. The world building in first half was mesmerizing and that part is worth the admission here.

6/10

Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:46 am
Keeping it Light

I enjoyed this quite a lot, living up to my expectations from the trailer and the tepid reactions do suprise me. At the beginning it felt a bit "honey I shrunk the kids" gimmicky to me, but I really enjoyed the depth the film brought to it, by having the being small part moved to the background in favor of character development. Main characters introduced at te beginning instigating the going small feature suddenly moved out of the film making way for Damon's story. Much more a comedy in the beginning while transitioning into a drama along the way, it does both things well at moments, even it failed to excel in either overall. The revelation that Wigg didn't shrink had me both cracking up and diverted the story in the right direction, able to sustain staying interesting for it's reasonably long run time. Just had a bit of an issue with how the premise was set up, as I couldn't wrap my head around how anyone, no matter how they sold certain benefits in the film actually want to go small. So that bothered me a bit in the beginning, but after the turn with Wigg that was corrected and it ends up being a very solid, candid and well thought film.

B+

Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:37 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Looks like stuffp only saw the first half of the movie :P

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:53 pm
now we know

:funny:

He probably fell asleep around half-way.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:54 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

The first half is good and interesting. The second half just meanders without much point, but it’s not bad.

B+

Wed May 16, 2018 1:21 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I just rewatched this on prime. I love this movie, and feel it balances the scope & tone extremely well. A huge sci-fi idea balanced beautifully with smaller, very human moments and concerns. Damon, Chau, Waltz, and Wiig are great, as is the rest of the cast.

A

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:03 am
Indiana Jones IV

I voted “B” when I saw it but it definitely improved with a rewatch.

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:04 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Probably a B+ as I just watched it recently for the first time. Something something about class. It has a few lulls here and there, but it's overall enjoyable.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:01 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]