Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 I, Tonya 

Rate this film:
A 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

I, Tonya 
Keeping it Light

Post I, Tonya

Quote:
I, Tonya is a 2017 American biographical sports black comedy film directed by Craig Gillespie and written by Steven Rogers. The film stars Margot Robbie as figure skater Tonya Harding and Sebastian Stan as Jeff Gillooly, alongside Julianne Nicholson, Caitlin Carver, Bobby Cannavale, and Allison Janney in supporting roles.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:38 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: I, Tonya
I saw this at a test screening several months ago, the ice skating scenes were unfinished and choppy, was pretty funny to see. Very interested to see if they made any big changes.

Robbie and Allison Janney are both terrific. Wasn't really feeling Sebastian Stan though for some reason.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:42 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm obsessed with this. It's the best big awards movie of the year for me. Margot and Allison are brilliant. A

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

This is an entertaining, spry biopic-cum-caper-film reminiscent of Martin Scorsese as imitated by David O. Russell in American Hustle. Margot Robbie is sensational in it. It is a pure delight to see her given such a complicated, emotional, intense role and inhabit it so completely. Allison Janney also delivers a strong performance, though I sense she could play this role (the cigarettes-and-acerbic-one-liners showbiz mother from Hell) in her sleep. The film perhaps slightly overplays its hand with the to-the-camera condemnation of the public at large (everyone was Tonya Harding's attacker). And it is interesting Nancy Kerrigan is given almost zero presence and voice in a film obsessively justifying and apologizing for Harding, but who knows...

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:20 pm
Pure Phase

publicenemy#1 wrote:
the ice skating scenes were unfinished and choppy

In the finished product, in my opinion, they are filmed and cut very well, capturing a sense of on-the-ice energy and fluidity. There are moments of dodgy CGI, though.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:23 pm
Forum General

Man did I love this, especially because of how Scorsese/Russel it felt in tone and execution. I could give less of two shits about figure skating and while I have heard of the name Tonya Harding before I really didn't know anything about her or all this crazy shit that actually happened. All that being said Margot Robbie is truly sensational here giving a very layered and complex performance that goes from making her come off equally sympathetic and endearing to just downright ruthless and kind of despicable. Allison Janney is also quite magnificent as her evil, abusive mother and their scenes together were easily my favorite. Sebastian Stan does get the shorter end of the stick which is unfortunate considering I still thought he was great, but he just can't hold his own against the former two. I really enjoyed the actor who played Shawn too and as far as I can tell by those interviews the dude pretty much nailed all the mannerisms of the real guy.

I could have done with less dodgy CGI in some of those skating scenes though.

A

Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:07 pm
Cream of the Crop

Last Friday I had a date with Molly and this Friday I had a date with Tonya (two american kids just doing the best that they can). Although they come from opposite sides of the tracks, the'yre both misunderstood and have provocative stories to tell. I,Tonya is the better movie, but not by miles. I enjoyed the brazen 4th-wall narration and also the trashy editing style which accented all the white trash goings on. Margot Robbie is great, as always, though her physical differences from Tonya Harding were a bit distracting at times. I, Tonya sticks the landing. *A*

(Molly's Game & I, Tonya would make a great double bill - but what I'm really looking forward to is the inevitable sequel crossover film: Molly v Tonya.)

Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:28 pm
Superman: The Movie

Well that was disappointing. Not the movie itself, but the fact that I got about 48 minutes in (right before she takes the ice at the 1992 Olympics) when the lights went out. As anyone in the US might know, there’s a big storm hitting the NE right now. Lots of wind and rain. Anyway, they went out, but they came back on. After another five minutes to restart the movie, the movie came back on about five minutes before we left off (Jeff screaming “Fuck you” to Tonya at the rink). We got back to where we were and just as she was hitting the ice (about 30 seconds in movie time had passed) the lights went out again. And this time they didn’t come back on. Apparently a transformer blew up. Power wasn’t (isn’t - this just happened) coming back anytime soon.

On the bright side, this was the second movie of a doubleheader (Darkest Hour was first). What sucks though is that I’m going to have to wait until it comes out on iTunes to see the rest. Hopefully that’s sometime this month.I was liking it so far, but we hadn’t even got to Kerrigan yet (outside that one scene where they share a room).

At least Darkest Hour was pretty good.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:13 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Great film. For some reason I saw the 2017 films led by strong female performances last of that year, and this is another sublime example of that. Robbie and Janney both give award worthy performances, but everyone is good, Stan would get a supporting nom from me too and Walter Hauser was great in every scene he was in. It's crisp and engaging, the late 80's, early 90's are depicted well and just a very good directing job around. Definitely excellent.

A-

Sun May 13, 2018 11:56 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked this movie specially for the acting, cinematography and directing aspects but the final act while decent comes out hollow. Robbie and Janney are brilliant and I thought the former was better of the two cause this isn't a particularly challenging role for Janney. The supporting cast was decent. The film excels in the settings and overall play but the storyline comes out one-sided trying to generate emotions without earning it (even though Robbie sells the hell out of "skating is my life"). It was too long as well at times undecided where to go specially with some of the interviews.

6/10

Sun May 13, 2018 9:42 pm
Keeping it Light

Yeah, I completely disagree with it being only decent and that it didn't know where to go. I guess it was one-sided indeed, but I thought that "Tonya" angle was so compelling that I was completely sold on it. And what Dil also mentioned, the "tone and execution", even if not original, is just excellent.

Mon May 14, 2018 2:06 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Decent was for supporting cast and the finale BTW not the entire movie. There were times in the movie it felt that the interviews were there because they forgot to add them at first and then they needed to show a new angle so inject an interview and change the direction. Though I probably don't remember the movie as well since I saw it 5 months ago but I remembered this as my overall impression.

Mon May 14, 2018 2:23 am
Devil's Advocate

The Janney scenes are way on the nose, Stan’s character was more complex and true to life as an abuser who seemed nice at the start and sometimes still does, and hates himself while doing it. Along with Robbie who gives a great performance showing the anger, pain and fuck you attitude of Tonya, the real star is Craig Gillespie as this is entertaining from start to finish thanks to his editing, pacing, soundtrack.

Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]