Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The Disaster Artist 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 6

The Disaster Artist 
Keeping it Light

Post The Disaster Artist

Quote:
The Disaster Artist is a 2017 American biographical comedy-drama film produced and directed by James Franco. Written by Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber, the film is based on Greg Sestero and Tom Bissell's non-fiction book of the same name and chronicles the making of Tommy Wiseau's 2003 cult film The Room, widely considered one of the worst movies ever made. The film stars brothers James and Dave Franco as Wiseau and Sestero, respectively, alongside a supporting cast featuring Seth Rogen (who also produced), Alison Brie, Ari Graynor, Josh Hutcherson, and Jacki Weaver.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:36 am
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: The Disaster Artist
Loved it

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 am
The Kramer

I heard this movie is recieving Hi Marks.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:23 pm
Extraordinary

James Franco is phenomenal. The film itself is funny but it doesn't quite reach that level where it's great.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:46 pm
Cream of the Crop

The Disaster Artist is a surprisingly inspiring tale of friendship and creativity. James Franco does a great job portraying a complicated lead character - he really submerges into the role. I laughed more than any movie this Fall. *A*

Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:00 am
The Kramer

This is very funny, but it never goes into spoof territory. And that is important since we’d otherwise just be laughing at someone who is mentally ill. Focusing on the relationship between Tommy and Greg instead of the movie gives it just the right amount of sincerity.

I didn’t like the VH1 beginning sequence though. That actually sets an insincere tone. The movie is able to erase it, but that scene is just so uncessary.

Did everyone stay to the end of the credits? Amazing.

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:30 pm
now we know

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I heard this movie is recieving Hi Marks.

:funny:

Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

we’d otherwise just be laughing at someone who is mentally ill.

Which mental illness does Tommy Wiseau have?

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:02 am
The Kramer

At least some type of anti-socialness. He’s not capable of communicating with other people. If it was just about the film you could argue narcissism is his only flaw, but the movie shows his life is not so different.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:10 am
Pure Phase

I adored this. James Franco's performance is superb; he just perfectly, expertly captures every Tommy Wiseau idiosyncrasy, from the implacable accent to the stilted-yet-hypnotic mannerisms. And as a director, he draws a nearly equal amount of humor and pathos from the spectacle of this deeply odd, highly passionate, clearly European and middle-aged man trying to present himself as a young, all-American silver-screen heartthrob (and failing so tremendously, he becomes iconic anyway). The obvious comparison is Tim Burton's quirky and sympathetic Ed Wood biopic.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 am
Cream of the Crop

tree and a half wrote:

At least some type of anti-socialness. He’s not capable of communicating with other people. If it was just about the film you could argue narcissism is his only flaw, but the movie shows his life is not so different.

Thanks for the diagnosis, Dr. Flava'd.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:10 am
On autopilot for the summer

He's not anti social at all. And he he is not mentally ill. He's just European.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:12 am
The Kramer

tree and a half wrote:
tree and a half wrote:

Thanks for the diagnosis, Dr. Flava'd.
Did you think he was gay? I felt all this was part of the story. And part of why I think Franco will win the oscar.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:50 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This is brilliant. James Franco gives his best performance ever. I thought he was absolutely fantastic. The movie itself is also hilarious and heartfelt. It honestly feels like a love letter to people who loves movies. One of my favorites of the year for sure. A

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:17 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

Really enjoyed this. Franco is truly fantastic here and definitely deserves some type of awards recognition. I was surprised how this was much more of a drama than a comedy, but it works because you do really feel sympathetic towards the guy at certain points even though he was clearly an asshole a lot of the time. The celebrity cameos honestly didn't bother me either with Judd Apatow and Zac Effron being among my favorites.

That end credit scene was AMAZING as well lol.

B+

Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:17 am
now we know

Immensely enjoyable and hilarious. James Franco nails Wiseau, not just inhabiting the man's aura and personality, but also his pecs! Franco also does a solid job behind the camera. Rogen is great as the guy that says what we were all thinking when we saw The Room. And the film does a superb job of recreating the infamous 2002 production. It is just very hard to find fault in a film that plays out to one of the most addictive 90s dance classics, but it is one of those films where you will find it hard to take your eyes off the screen. Particularly if you've seen The Room, and particularly if you hated it. The Disaster Artist makes those 99 minutes seem like less of a waste.

A-

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Good film with a perfect performance from James Franco. It's a nice and welcome insight to whatever The Room is and how it came to be. I didn't find the film particularly funny or engaging in another way though. It's a capable documentary style film, but doesn't go further than a basic behind the scenes look with a very recognizable cast. While The Room is uniquely terrible, this is just moderately good. I found Dave Franco quite disappointing, but then again I don't remember him ever being good in anything. Efron's brief appearance as "Chris R" was cool.

B

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:02 am
now we know

Yeah, Efron's part was fun. Also, totally agreed on Dave Franco. Just not a very talented person, who is lucky enough to have a famous brother.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:11 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]